Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Google Eyes

  • rermisch
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2000
      Hi!
      The only problem with the ping pong idea is that Kermit is a small
      puppet and Cookie monster is more people-life size. The balls would have to
      be much larger. Bigger than a baseball but smaller than a soccer ball too.
      When I made mine years ago. I took thick foam, approximately 6" wide
      wittled it done to half spheres and covered the result with a stretchable
      fabric and then just painted on the black part of the eye. I used
      fingernail scissors to cut small parts of the foam toward the end because
      you are basically sculpting the foam and to get a smoother look you need to
      finish cutting tiny pieces off . I know tis is not google eyes but I could
      not do them in the time alloted me then. The foam sculpting is the way most
      of the muppet heads have been done. I had a friend who worked on some of
      them for their traviling show years ago and he showed us the pictures of the
      progresive sculpting being done. Hope this is some help.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2000
        Like I said in my earlier message: if ping-pong balls are too small, go
        with as large a size whiffle-ball as you can find that doesn't have holes
        except on one side and cut as close to the beginning of the row of holes as
        possible to retain as much "eye" as you can. Then there's always
        Thermoplastic. Form it over something spherical that can take a lot of
        heat--like a ball of clay, like what potters use for making clay pots. A
        bag of potter's clay, some Thermoplastic, and a heat-gun, heavy-weight
        fishing line, black and white paint et voila! Friendly Plastic would work
        too, only with hot water instead of heat-gun. But where can you find
        Friendly Plastic in good-sized sheets? I'm looking for Friendly Plastic,
        but can't find it anywhere nearby. I've heard that a company by the name of
        "Unnatural Resources", or something like that, sells Thermoplastic and other
        plastics and unusual materials. Might look there.

        ----Raven

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Liz Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 2000
          How about the clear semi-round ball things that come in the big gumball
          machines that hold spiders, stickers, plastic junk jewelry and the like.
          Those you could even make in to googly eyes by putting a piece of heavy paper
          about 2/3 of the way in the circle and dropping in a black disc. Ialso think
          that eyes that are the size of baseballs might be a little out of proportion,
          unless the human under them is very large & tall! Good luck.