Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] RenFaire Garb

  • Joannah Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2003
      About the best place for you start is The Elizabethan Costuming Page at http://costume.dm.net/ . It has lots of information about Elizabethan fashion/costume (like what colours to use!), and links to lots of related sites. An excellent site, and one that I have found invaluable with my own costuming.

      Best of luck with your costuming, and have fun at the Faire.

      Joannah

      --- Jeanene <admin@...> wrote:
      Hello Everyone,

      I'm new to the list and looking for some advice. I'm going to making
      some renaissance garb for my husband and I for both our local faires and
      for participating in a period greyhound group.

      Most of our local events are held in very hot and very humid weather,
      most of the rest just tend to be humid. Our outfits need to be
      appropriate for the greyhound group's position as "keepers of her
      majesties hounds", which implies some sort of wealth or position.

      Does anyone have any advice or resources for constructing a costume as
      lightweight and comfortable as possible for the sorts of conditions we
      have here in Maryland? It isn't that uncommon to have days in the 90's
      with humidity to match on faire days.

      My main concern right now is fabric choices. I really like silk, but
      what weight would work best to provide the proper body and drape while
      not sacrificing comfort? The silk sites on the web are a bit confusing,
      and I'm clueless about fabric in general, beyond "natural=good,
      man-made=bad". How about silk blends? Cotton/silk, linen/silk? Would
      either of these be better for hot weather than 100% silk? Will
      linen/silk wrinkle as badly as regular linen? Will it wrinkle enough to
      make me haul out the iron every time I wear it? I don't particularly
      like to iron.

      For further reference on silk types, I'm probably going to buy from
      Thaisilks.com or their wholesale equivalent if my husband and I
      coordinate our garb; or from Dharma Trading, I don't mind dying... um...
      color choices? eek! more questions!

      Also, what about rayon/silk velvets (and other fabrics)? I just recently
      figured out that rayon does not equal polyester, so now I'm totally
      confused about what to expect from this man-made yet still "natural"
      fabric.

      I could go on and on with a zillion questions that keep occuring to me,
      but I'll stop before this gets annoyingly long. :)

      Thanks in advance

      Jeanene

    • Rae
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2003
        Another option for silk vendors is Hyena. They are very reasonable,
        have a good selection, quality fabric and ship really fast. I love
        their dupioni silks and have made numerous outfits using the dupioni.

        http://www.hyenaproductions.com/store+dupioni.htm

        I live in central Texas so our primary faire is Scarborough and it
        gets hot during faire. The silks make great garb for our
        temperatures and high humity.

        Rae