Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] a giant gripe, just need to let off steam

  • theresa b
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2001
      As promised an update. he didn't show up for the fitting. Apparently when
      I retook his waist and chest measurement yesterday, he thought that was all
      I needed him for. not like he's going to be CLOTHED in this play at all.
      And since it was 5:45 when I called him, and it takes him an hour to get
      here and he has rehearsal at 7 I said screw it and rescheduled.

      Since when do taking measurements constitute a fitting? I am having a bad
      day.

      titi

      >From: "theresa b" <trinithree@...>
      >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] a giant gripe, just need to let off
      >steam
      >Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:09:38 -0400
      >
      >Wow thanks alot Nathan! that's really useful to know.
      >
      >An update, I've scoured our stock and found suits where the jacket and vest
      >will work, ut the pants worry me. I have a fitting with him tonight,
      >I'lllet you know how it goes.
      >
      >titi
      >

      > >From: Nathan Martin <martin_nate@...>
      > >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] a giant gripe, just need to let off
      > >steam
      > >Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:32:07 -0700 (PDT)
      > >
      > >Don't forget to check out rental houses. They've
      > >really come through for me in similar circumstances!
      > >Since you're designing at school, you could check out
      > >TDF Costume Collection in New York. Their rentals are
      > >fairly inexpensive, as they rent only to non-profit
      > >groups. Their number is (212) 989-5855.
      > >
      > >Another place that's pretty sure to have what you need
      > >would be Dodger Costumes also in NY. (800) 723-1069.
      > >Their rentals are a bit more expensive, but it's
      > >pretty likely that they'd have something.
      > >
      > >A few other rental houses that I've used:
      > >
      > >The Costumer
      > >www.thecostumer.com
      > >(518)372-7442
      > >
      > >Broadway Costumes
      > >www.broadwaycostumes.com
      > >(800)397-3316
      > >
      > >Just give them a call and tell them what you're
      > >looking for. They can tell you in just a few minutes
      > >if they've got it or not!
      > >
      > >Nate

    • Sylvia
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2001
        on 6/14/01 5:09 PM, theresa b at trinithree@... wrote:

        > As promised an update. he didn't show up for the fitting. Apparently when
        > I retook his waist and chest measurement yesterday, he thought that was all
        > I needed him for. not like he's going to be CLOTHED in this play at all.
        > And since it was 5:45 when I called him, and it takes him an hour to get
        > here and he has rehearsal at 7 I said screw it and rescheduled.
        >
        > Since when do taking measurements constitute a fitting? I am having a bad
        > day.
        >
        > Oh, the joys of working with actors! I'm flying to Texas in less than a week
        for a job interview at a community theatre. You've reminded me of one of
        the downsides to this profession.

        Sylvia
      • Catherine Currie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2001

          Ummm, I am not sure if this will help but I have dressed men of similar sizes.  One even bigger with a tum of 147cm (about 58 inches I think ).  I am not sure if you have acccess to big TV production houses as sometimes they have the bigger stuff at resonable prices to hire, we found a couple of suits for my fellow in one.

          Catherine

        • Grrmum@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15, 2001
            Titi--   as a costumer for a community theatre group, I have for the past 10
            years, been included as part of the production team. The cast is assembled
            and made aware of what I expect from them. Co-operation...(  needs another
            fitting please slip it on and don't gripe about it )patience...if the outfit
            I hand you needs work and I don't hand it back the next day, please be
            assured you will not be going to dress rehearsal naked... truth ( as in ..if
            it doesn't feel right and you keep it to yourself it's your tough luck! ) and
            a sense of humor...now and then my brain slips out and I'll hand an actor a
            really yukky costume and they will look at me and ask " really?" and I will
            reply "nope just kidding!"
            Just finished Victor/Victoria and 2 weeks  before we open,the director calls
            and says we are replacing an actor a 42 reg. coat  36w x 34 length pants with
            a 62 chest  62 w x 36 length pants. After I finished asking if he was insane,
            I looked in my show notes to find he needed a Tuxedo and a zoot suit he was
            playing a gangster. I looked in Vogue and bought the largest pattern
            available...and made it larger. It took awhile, BUT, he was dressed in  a
            zoot suit for openning night and looking good. I rented the tux.

            Teddy,
            Official Pig Chaser P.I.## ~to the GSOLFOT
          • Love3angle
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 19, 2001
              The most difficult time I had was doing a production of Puccini's
              Madama Butterfly. I had done 4 other productions of it that year
              alone and didn't think much of it until the director said he wanted
              it completely historically accurate. Again, I thought it would be ok
              since we had a much bigger budget.

              I am used to chubby singers who claim it's your costume making them
              look dumpy because "I HAVE a waist, you know," but I was completely
              unprepared for finding 60 real kimono large enough to fit American
              opera singers! Well, I learned more about kimono than I ever thought
              I'd know, undergarments, what to wear to what occasion and how to
              move properly in them - I even learned to tie 4 different styles of
              obi.

              We did manage to get by, hoping most of our Asian audience wouldn't
              notice the larger ladies were wearing men's kimono. And our
              Butterfly was so large we had to "import" a fabulous artist to make
              her a second act kimono from scratch. For the largest of our ladies,
              we had to dress them as missionaries.

              But after all was said and done, I must say it was the most beautiful
              production it has ever been my pleasure to be involved in - as a
              singer, costumer, or what-have-you!

              Love3angle :-Þ