Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] new member

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 5, 2003
      > There are a ton of them across the country. I used to think it was best
      to attend a school in NY in order to make contacts. Now I tend to think
      it's still a good idea but probably a better one is to move to NYC after
      graduating to get a career started. Depending on whether you want to
      get inot theatrical costume design, of course. If you want to try
      working in the movies, move to L.A.

      I've noticed recently that some theatres really like to hire Yale educated
      designers, but I absolutely hate what I've found is the Yale method of
      teaching costume design, which is to completely ignore the construction
      aspects and concentrate solely on design. I think that learning
      construction and patterning only makes one a better designer, not the
      other way around. It also provides you with more employment
      opportunities. So personally I would avoid Yale. Cal Arts too, although
      that's where I got my MFA, but since then it has repatterned itself after
      the Yale model, so I don't recommend it anymore.

      My $.02

      Sylrog

      > Hi! I just wanted to join the group. It was an accident to find this
      > group, but a great one too. I am going to study Costume Design I haven't
      > even started yet but this fall I will start a Fashion Design Degree @
      > Mesa College in San Diego. And then transfer wherever I can that best
      > fits me economically and academically. Though, I wanted to know if
      > anyone of you int he group could advise me in any plans of any schools
      > that I don't know of. I only know of FIDM in san diego/l.a. plan, and
      > NYU other than that I am completely oblivious to any Costume Design
      > schools. So if you guys could help me out that would be awesome. Thank
      > you much! -siihm.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Expressions
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hi
        I am new and look forward to learning more about making costumes
        judy