I'm stumped!

  • Becky Lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4 11:16 AM
      I have a client wanting me to make Paul McCartney's band leader
      uniform from Sgt. Peppers. No prob with the light blue satin and
      trims...except...he wears a bright hot pink shoulder citation cord!
      Citation cords aren't expensive, but they don't come in bright pink.
      Also, they are made from polyester, meaning I can't dye a white cord
      at home! Ack, whatever shall I do? The client will not settle for
      red, but she's okay with fudging on other aspects of the costume. I
      can't give her an estimate until I've come up with a way to get this
      cord.

      I am now going to go explore making my own cord. The cord must be
      made from a shinier material. I was thinking marine roping? Help!

      Becky

      http://goingapecostume.com/
    • Ana's Accoutremonts
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4 11:50 AM
        Purchase 6 mm macrame cord in the desired color,
        http://www.craft-stop.com/store/productprintdetail.cfm?ProdCatID=32

        and use a square knot to create a sennet as shown
        http://www.elainecraft.com/instructions/var1.sq.html#squareknotsennit

        Hey, it ain't rocket science!

        Ana

        --
        Ana Foscari
        Ana's Accoutremonts

        "Anger never ceases with anger,
        Anger is healed by love alone.
        Open your heart to love.
        Pray for Peace."

      • bleupirate@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4 12:10 PM
          Becky...try Hobby Lobby. I know they have hot pink satin cording. Maybe you
          could braid it and make what you need...good luck!

          Rhonda

        • Faber, Debbie
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4 3:57 PM
            Becky Lee,

            I have used Trims Plus for such situations. Go to www.trimsplus.com and
            view their color charts. Some trims are a little pricey, but many are
            reasonable.

            Debbie Faber
            D.L. Parsons Theatre
          • bearhedded
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4 8:10 PM
              You could also FEV the polyester one, or duplicate it in nylon
              rope, which dyes beautifully.
            • Artemis
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5 6:12 AM
                Perhaps you could get a red one and use a diluted bleach solution to
                fade it to pink? Just a thought.

                Tara

                > Message: 1
                > Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:16:31 -0000
                > From: "Becky Lee" <beckylee_00@...>
                > Subject: I'm stumped!
                >
                > I have a client wanting me to make Paul McCartney's band leader
                > uniform from Sgt. Peppers. No prob with the light blue satin and
                > trims...except...he wears a bright hot pink shoulder citation cord!
                > Citation cords aren't expensive, but they don't come in bright pink.
                > Also, they are made from polyester, meaning I can't dye a white cord
                > at home! Ack, whatever shall I do? The client will not settle for
                > red, but she's okay with fudging on other aspects of the costume. I
                > can't give her an estimate until I've come up with a way to get this
                > cord.
              • Maurine Starkey
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5 8:54 AM
                  Has anyone here used Anodized dyes? Not sure I'm spelling it correctly. I thought those dyes could color anything, even plastic. I've seen it used on plastic toy jewelry. It will scratch off in heavy use and fade if left in the sun. But, you get some really bright color.
                  Maurine Starkey

                  Artemis <lovelyshrike@...> wrote:

                  Perhaps you could get a red one and use a diluted bleach solution to
                  fade it to pink? Just a thought.

                  Tara

                  > Message: 1
                  > Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:16:31 -0000
                  > From: "Becky Lee" <beckylee_00@...>
                  > Subject: I'm stumped!
                  >
                  > I have a client wanting me to make Paul McCartney's band leader
                  > uniform from Sgt. Peppers. No prob with the light blue satin and
                  > trims...except...he wears a bright hot pink shoulder citation cord!
                  > Citation cords aren't expensive, but they don't come in bright pink.
                  > Also, they are made from polyester, meaning I can't dye a white cord
                  > at home! Ack, whatever shall I do? The client will not settle for
                  > red, but she's okay with fudging on other aspects of the costume. I
                  > can't give her an estimate until I've come up with a way to get this
                  > cord.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Getting More...SiliCon 2004
                  www.siliconventions.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5 10:24 AM
                    Check out ALJO Dye in NYC. I believe that they are on Franklin Street and I imagine that they would ship. You need a polyester dye. They sell all fiber specific dyes.

                    Kimberly