  • Julia Trimarco
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2003
      TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      3. fairy crown thanks, still need lace up bodice for ballet
      From: "deafcat12"
      5. identifying fabric content
      From: "deafcat12"
      8. Re: metallics and fabric I.D.
      From: "jing"
      9. Re: identifying fabric content
      From: surggj

      I'm still looking for instructions for or a good illustration of a
      laced-up ballet bodice. This is different than a corset! Can anyone
      help me with a source?

      * * I made a ballet bodice as a grad school project, unfortunately, i haven't uncovered my patterns and i have no book reference for this, as the knowledge came straight from the instructor, a former ballet danseur himself. I do know that his patter was modelled on the "Korinska" (sp?) bodice, a method developed by Madame Korinska, before stretch, the side panels are cut on the bias to allow for breathing and movement. THe front panel (seamed at center front) is basically a "V", side panels, and back panels (rectangular in shape), 6 panels total, strapless, with elastic straps added that are dyed to match the dancer. Perhaps you can find something by searching "Korinska"

      -Jypsie

      From: "deafcat12"
      Subject: identifying fabric content

      My "cheat sheet" for doing burn tests on fabrics is page 76 from
      Chapter 3 of The Costume Technician's Handbook by Ingham and Covey
      (1992. Heineman Educational Books, Inc.) ISBN 0-435-08610-3. This
      book has been the ultimate quick-reference t...it's a pretty commonly assigned
      text in theatre courses. The biggest drawback for me is that it does
      not address special techniques for ballet costumes, which is what I
      build... does anyone have a book I don't know about (I'm sure I have
      the only three...)

      a great book i have it and used it in school but i believe the burn test sheet i use is from an article my textiles instructor found i believe it is a clearer sheet at some point i will have time to put it on excel and perhaps send it out to those who send me an email and request it
      -Jypsie
      jypsiedesign@...
      From: Ana's Accoutremonts
      Subject: Re: metallics and fabric I.D.

      A good summary of the fabric content burn test is at
      http://www.fabriclink.com/Burntest.html