Re: Digest Number 676

  • Love3angle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7 1:01 PM
      I guess it depends where you live. I live in LA and the only sewers
      I know are costume folk like me. Most people don't and look at it
      like it's some big nuclear secret! I've even had office mates offer
      me silly amounts of money to hem jeans. Having said that, I can't
      cook for sh*t. LOL! I guess I'm not that "domestic" after all...

      Alyxx

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sheila Martinez
      <willistreet@y...> wrote:
      > Hey Peggy,
      > Did you make soap from the rendered Turkey Fat? What a great idea!
      > I, too, am amazed that people are so shocked when they find out
      that I sew. I keep hearing "People like you are a dying breed." I
      don't think so. Our shopping centers are filled with alterations
      shops...I am assuming that someone in there sews. In Dallas you have
      to stand in line to get a job sewing. and then we have the
      manufacturers and maquiladores. Almost every boutique I enter has a
      seamstress in the back. This is why I work for myself...I can't find
      a job! LOL
      > sheila
      >
      > peggy salvail <psalvail@y...> wrote:
      > I have found more and more people that are just shocked and amazed
      that I
      > sew lately. Imagine their wonder when they find out I can can,
      bake bread
      > and prepare meals for scrach too. I remember years ago asking my
      Sister
      > in law if she wanted to render stock from the Turkey carcus, she
      gave me
      > the blankest look I have ever got. I showed her how, but it was so
      > amusing, untill them I thought everyone was raised with a Mom the
      cooked,
      > sewed, canned, gardened and did the books for the Farm too.
      Amazing that
      > I was so lucky. I have never stopped admiring Mom or thanking her
      for all
      > the things she taught me, She is a wonderful woman. Just wanted to
      > share, thanks for listening. Peggy ps) I am passing it all on to
      my kids

      > --- MaryAnn Jones <mabse@s...> wrote:
      > > At 10:00 AM 6/26/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      > > >Okay, enough dancing around--I've been in this business over 15
      years,
      > > >and I've learned to set prices high.
      > >
      > > I agree with Ana. Remember, part of the problem is that sewing,
      in our
      > > culture, is seen as women's work and anything that is women's
      work is
      > > undervalued. As long as you are willing to accept this it is
      going to
      > > continue.
      > >
      > > Maryann

      Service.