Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Forward about textile related tour to asia

  • Lara Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2003
      Hi Betsy,
      I'm a member of Theatrical Wardrobe Union, local #764, IATSE in NYC. I'm currently a full time dresser for a show. I'm not sure but I think we are some of the higher paid in the country and we do not make $100 for an hours work, I wish we did. Our current contract pays us $83.92 per performance or $23.94 per hour with a 4 hour minimum call. These wages will seem high to many living outside the NYC area but keep in mind, besides loosing about 40% to taxes, most of us pay rents in excess of $1400 a month (this city is very expensive to live in). We are also by far the lowest paid employees in professional theater in NYC.

      I believe to become a member our union requires a resume with theater experience, 3 letters of reccomendation (from anyone) and an interview. You do not need to know anyone to register but it will greatly help to have a good resume. So, no in NYC you do not need to know someone to get in, it helps if one or more of those letters of reccomendation are from union members, but plenty of people get in without help. I hear in other areas with fewer jobs and smaller unions it can be pretty exclusive.

      Lara in NYC