Re: Calculating Fabric Yardage Amounts

  • Bonnie Prater
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
      > this is not just for a one time project, this would be an on-
      > going thing. I am starting to draft my own patterns and do sewing
      > for others commercially. My biggest selling point for court gowns
      > is that I offer numerous sleeve designs. There are times I'll have
      > a request for a bodice and underskirt out of one material with this
      > or that pair of sleeves or several pair. I was hoping if I knew
      > the dimensions of the pattern pieces used there was some kind of
      > chart or formula that would give me a close estimate as to x number
      > of yards instead of having to lay out the pieces each time which I
      > can do.
      >
      > It sounds like there is no easy way to do this but I do appreciate
      > all the input and suggestions.

      Rae:

      You are correct, there is no easy way to do this, especially if you
      are working with fabrics with any kind of repeated pattern in them
      that you have to match for sleeves, skirt seams, etc.

      This is the kind of problem that upholsterers and drapery makers run
      into, because if the pattern piece doesn't fit the repeat just right,
      you may have to buy more fabric than you actually cut out to be able
      to match patterns in seams or mirror image pieces like couch arms or
      sleeve patterns.

      If the fabric was no nap, all one color with no grain differences you
      would be able to use the conversion charts that have been mentioned,
      but I am willing to bet you are using better fabrics with prints or
      woven patterns in them which complicate life but make the end product
      so much more worthwhile ;>

      Bonnie