  • peggy salvail
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
      Shelia;
      I have done lots of things but i have never made soap of anykind lol
      What I did with the turkey is made borth. I work for my self caus i live
      60 miles from anywhere that could give me a job, besides I really love my
      emplayer lololol. She gives me all the time off I like. Take care Peggy

      --- Sheila Martinez <willistreet@...> wrote:
      > Hey Peggy,
      > Did you make soap from the rendered Turkey Fat? What a great idea!
      > I, too, am amazed that people are so shocked when they find out that I
      > sew. I keep hearing "People like you are a dying breed." I don't think
      > so. Our shopping centers are filled with alterations shops...I am
      > assuming that someone in there sews. In Dallas you have to stand in
      > line to get a job sewing. and then we have the manufacturers and
      > maquiladores. Almost every boutique I enter has a seamstress in the
      > back. This is why I work for myself...I can't find a job! LOL
      > sheila
      >
      > peggy salvail <psalvail@...> wrote:
      > I have found more and more people that are just shocked and amazed that
      > sew lately. Imagine their wonder when they find out I can can, bake
      > bread
      > and prepare meals for scrach too. I remember years ago asking my Sister
      > in law if she wanted to render stock from the Turkey carcus, she gave me
      > the blankest look I have ever got. I showed her how, but it was so
      > amusing, untill them I thought everyone was raised with a Mom the
      > cooked,
      > sewed, canned, gardened and did the books for the Farm too. Amazing
      > that
      > I was so lucky. I have never stopped admiring Mom or thanking her for
      > all
      > the things she taught me, She is a wonderful woman. Just wanted to
      > share, thanks for listening. Peggy ps) I am passing it all on to my
      > kids
      >
      > --- MaryAnn Jones <mabse@...> wrote:
      > > At 10:00 AM 6/26/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      > > >Okay, enough dancing around--I've been in this business over 15
      > years,
      > > >and I've learned to set prices high.
      > >
      > > I agree with Ana. Remember, part of the problem is that sewing, in
      > our
      > > culture, is seen as women's work and anything that is women's work is
      > > undervalued. As long as you are willing to accept this it is going to
      >
      > > continue.
      > >
      > > Maryann

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Love3angle
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7 1:01 PM
        I guess it depends where you live. I live in LA and the only sewers
        I know are costume folk like me. Most people don't and look at it
        like it's some big nuclear secret! I've even had office mates offer
        me silly amounts of money to hem jeans. Having said that, I can't
        cook for sh*t. LOL! I guess I'm not that "domestic" after all...

        Alyxx

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sheila Martinez

        Service.