Salary for a Costumer

  • Tia Marie
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 20 6:15 AM
      Does anyone know the salary range for a full time costumer at a
      themed place, such as Medieval Times?

      I am just curious?
    • Peace, Carla
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 22 3:56 PM
        What would be a fair price to charge per hour for beaded and sequin fabrics as well as large princess type ball gowns with many layers for hemming and alterations?

        Carla Koontz

      • Sylvia Rognstad
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 23 9:04 AM
          > I think that depends on many things--your level of skill, what the
          market will bear in your area,etc.

          Sylrog>

          > What would be a fair price to charge per hour for beaded and sequin
          > fabrics as well as large princess type  ball gowns with many layers
          > for hemming and alterations?
          >

          > Carla Koontz

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Sheila Martinez
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 23 7:37 PM
            Hello Carla,
            It is so hard to set a price on this type of work without seeing the dress or outfit. I have a very good friend who owns a dry cleaner/alterations shop. Anytime I have a hard to price outfit, I go to her and we "consult". I am very lucky to have her. Maybe you could find a person like that to help you with your pricing.
            sheila

            "Peace, Carla" <carla_koontz@...> wrote:
            What would be a fair price to charge per hour for beaded and sequin fabrics as well as large princess type ball gowns with many layers for hemming and alterations?

            Carla Koontz

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Ana's Accoutremonts
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 24 5:16 AM
              Okay, enough dancing around--I've been in this business over 15 years,
              and I've learned to set prices high. My mentor told me years ago, "If
              they're not complaining when they write the check, then you're not
              charging enough." This sounds hard and exploitational, but it is harder
              to be dirt poor and not pay your bills because you don't charge enough.

              Yes, your level of skill, local market conditions, and cost of living
              are all factors. I find the simplest way to set my prices is by what
              other tradespeople charge. For example, what is the standard hourly
              charge for an auto mechanic in your area? A plumber? How much does it
              cost to get your lawn mown? How much do they charge to give you an
              estimate on fixing your sewing machine? Or to clean and oil it? These
              are all expenses you pay, so you must make enough to afford.

              Unless you just finished your first sewing class, you should charge
              comparable rates to local tradespeople. You are at least as skilled and
              experienced, despite the truism (which is NOT true!) that "anyone can
              sew...." You will encounter resistance from people who shop for
              bargains, like US!

              Please repeat 10 times: "I am not my customer!" You buy your clothes
              at Walmart or at the mall on sale--your customer buys at major
              department stores and boutiques when she feels like it. You want to
              turn down at least as many customers as you accept (turning down
              includes them yelling obscenities at you on the phone when they find out
              your prices). This means that you will get to spend your time sewing
              your best, and get paid what you're worth.

              Hemming and altering beaded and sequined dresses is top level work,
              akin to suit alterations of shoulders and necklines. Call some of the
              people listed under "alterations" in the phone book, and ask them what
              they charge, and then charge AT LEAST as much, if not 10% more. If the
              client complains, explain that you want to do your very best work on
              their dress, and not rush. That if you charge less, you will have to do
              a fast, sloppy job, and you don't want to work that way. If they still
              balk, offer them the numbers of the people you called from the phone
              book. You're better off not working for them.

              Don't feel bad if they go away. Once you get a reputation for excellent
              work (earn it!) and on-time delivery (easier when you have fewer orders
              to schedule), you will have all the work you can do, from people who
              won't nickel and dime you. I know because I've had a waiting list all
              through the recession.

              Feel free to email me directly (anybody) for more "it's worth what you
              pay for it" advice on running a sewing business to the public. I enjoy
              mentoring other seamstresses--someone's going to have to take over when
              I retire!

              Ana

              [free plug for my business! FOFL]

              Ana Foscari
              Ana's Accoutremonts

              "We Fit EVERY Body!"
              http://www.sewfits.com
              (toll free) 1-888-SEW-FITS

              "Anger never ceases with anger,
              Anger is healed by love alone.
              Open your heart to love.
              Pray for Peace."

              Sheila Martinez wrote:

              > Hello Carla,
              > It is so hard to set a price on this type of work without seeing the
              > dress or outfit. I have a very good friend who owns a dry
              > cleaner/alterations shop. Anytime I have a hard to price outfit, I go
              > to her and we "consult". I am very lucky to have her. Maybe you could
              > find a person like that to help you with your pricing.
              > sheila
              >
              > "Peace, Carla" <carla_koontz@...> wrote:
              > What would be a fair price to charge per hour for beaded and sequin
              > fabrics as well as large princess type ball gowns with many layers
              > for hemming and alterations?
              >

              > Carla Koontz

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > Click Here!
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707300337:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124fv1soh/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3313099&yhad=1595056>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 24 7:55 PM
                Hello,
                For the many-layered ball gowns, I generally charge $10 per
                layer to hem.
                -Jessica

                =====
                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • DJCPoland@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 25 7:12 PM
                  Ana, you are right. And I'd like to add one more thing. A long time ago,
                  when I was first thinking of trying to earn a living as an artisan, I worked for
                  a potter. She told me to never sell anything for a price I wouldn't be
                  willing to do the same work five more times for. I can't say I've always practiced
                  that, but I've tried.

                  Donna Carty
                • Peace, Carla
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 26 8:13 AM
                    thank you all for your help!!! The designer I'm doing these for wants to give me $8.50 an hour.

                    Carla Koontz

                  • Ana's Accoutremonts
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 27 6:22 AM
                      WOW--what a good rule of thumb! I can't tell you how many "over the
                      top" custom projects have eaten my lunch when I misjudged the amount of
                      time and work, and now I price things high up front, to cover unexpected
                      complications. But as they say, sometimes you get the bear, sometimes
                      the bear gets you!

                      Ana

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28 9:00 AM
                        Carla,
                        Ana's advise and wisdom is priceless. and I would like to thank her for that.
                        One of the first and best words of advise I ever received was this: "You have to learn to say, "NO" ". Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you want the work, it just isn't worth the letting the bear get you. But also, I have found that I learn something with every job I do...esp when I underbid them. Education is a very expensive commodity.
                        sheila

                        "Peace, Carla" <carla_koontz@...> wrote:
                        thank you all for your help!!! The designer I'm doing these for wants to give me $8.50 an hour.

                        Carla Koontz

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Love3angle
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 7, 2003
                          One big thing to consider, and I never see it discussed in any
                          pricing discussions, is how skilled or fast you are. In my opinion,
                          alterations should be priced on a per-job basis not a per-hour
                          basis. It doesn't follow that a slower sewer should make more money
                          on a hem than a quicker sewer. If you do charge by the hour then the
                          faster you are the more per hour you should charge. This is why a
                          thorough survey of your local tailors should give you an idea of what
                          to charge. Check everything from the discount men's suit store to
                          the posh bridal salon. That will give you a much clearer idea of
                          what your local market will bear, and whether it's even worth your
                          time to do it.

                          My 2 cents...
                          Alyxx
                        • Sheila Martinez