ballet: tutu bodices and men's tunics

  • deafcat12
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2003
      Does anyone out there sew for ballet? I'm looking for some
      literature or patterns or chat about adapting a basic 9-11 piece
      bodice pattern for different girls. How can I make them durable but
      still easily alterable? I also need advice about how to keep an
      attached off-the-shoulder sleeve from slipping up when the dancer
      raises her arms. And then there are the men: a director wants an
      attached sleeve with a hidden gusset all around it on a tunic,
      instead of a two piece tunic with the sleeve on the undergarment, but
      I've never seen one up close. I can't think of how to do it without
      the whole shoulder being too bulky. Finally, I once saw instructions
      in a children's dress-up idea book for making a fairy crown out of a
      plastic 2-litre soda bottle. It actually involved turing the bottle
      inside out somehow... does anyone know what I'm talking about?!
      Thanks,
      Janelle at the South Bay Ballet
    • tutu_fairy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 16, 2003
        I don't know if you have gotten responses to this yet, but I have some
        advice for you. Claudia at tutus.com has written some books on tutu
        making and gives classes in them. she also has a book for mens
        costumes. As for the multisizing issue, mostly what I do is make the
        back wide and move the hooks and eyes. I also put the elastic in the
        crotch before I sew the seam and then give it a deep seam so that it
        can be moved. I do the same with the side seam. the main difference
        between a corset pattern and tutu top is that the side front piece in
        a tutu is cut on the bias. I don't know if this helps, but I hope so.
        Maryann

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "deafcat12"