Edwardian Stuff

  • Molly Dewane
    Message 1 of 7 , May 27, 2003
      I used jazz boots for "Music Man." A cast of 58 and a
      budget means keeping costs down. :) There's a place
      called Danny's Dance Warehouse in LA that also does
      mail order. Cost is $12 a pair. At last check, there
      were many sizes available. Be sure to order via
      telephone or put a comment in the order form because
      you might otherwise get jazz shoes. Apparently the
      jazz boots were coded incorrectly on the Web site.
      There's also a discount dance Web site somewhere on
      the East Coast that had similar jazz boots. I'm sorry
      that I can't think of the business name.

      As for Edwardian patterns, try Alter Years or Richard
      the Thread as someone on this list suggested.
      Simplicity has a few costume patterns that simulate
      the look well as does McCall's. I cheated with "Music
      Man." I redid old Gunne Sax dresses and used high
      necked blouses and long skirts. I made my own hats,
      using basic wide brimmed hats with trim, copying
      designs from catalogs and photographs of the period.
      I'm also fond of EBay for patterns and costume items.

      Good luck and hope your project goes well-

      Molly
      www.mollydewane.netfirms.com

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Spidra Webster
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2003
        >here's a place
        >called Danny's Dance Warehouse in LA that also does
        >mail order. Cost is $12 a pair.

        This is an interesting tip. I'll have to check this out.

        >As for Edwardian patterns, try Alter Years or Richard
        >the Thread as someone on this list suggested.

        Thanks for all the help, guys. I just started a new job this week
        after being unemployed for more than a year. So I was worried about
        starting this project early enough to take the decreased free time
        into account. I pored obsessively through the GBACG pattern review,
        but I still wasn't finding too many pictures of something that seemed
        just right. I really wanted to avoid the Edwardian high collar
        because of the heat.

        I squeezed in a visit to Lacis and ended up getting Laughing Moon
        #103, not because it was exactly what I wanted, but because they
        didn't have the Past Patterns low-necked Gibson Girl blouse in my
        size.

        Thanks for all the advice and help.

        Spidra Webster

        Join The Dance Card! A nexus for all the different recreational dance
        communities in the SF Bay Area - Vintage Ballroom, Modern Ballroom,
        Swing, Salsa, Tango, Cajun, Irish, and so many more genres of social
        and couples dancing. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancecard/
      • Beverly Bullock
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2003
          Thanks so much, Molly! Bev Bullock

        • Watcher
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2003
            Hello, I am new to this group but I have questions aplenty. My girlfriend is wanting to make a bodice. Has anyone out there made one and can you give me some advice that I might be able to pass along......................Fergus

            Spidra Webster <spidra@...> wrote:>here's a place

            #103, not because it was exactly what I wanted, but because they
            didn't have the Past Patterns low-necked Gibson Girl blouse in my
            size.

            Thanks for all the advice and help.

            Spidra Webster

            Join The Dance Card! A nexus for all the different recreational dance
            communities in the SF Bay Area - Vintage Ballroom, Modern Ballroom,
            Swing, Salsa, Tango, Cajun, Irish, and so many more genres of social
            and couples dancing. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancecard/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Maurine Starkey
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2003
              Hi all,

              I'm doing research for a small Vampire story I'm doing. It's actually based on a tale from the Thousand Nights and One Night. What I need is visuals of costumes, Persian (Iran) or Iraq. And I need good pictures or reference of Arab or Muslim homes settings...dinning, relaxing, bedroom and a cemetary.

              I would appreciate any help or directions you can point me.

              Maurine

              SiliCon 2003...here be Wizards & Warriors
              Check out the website December 1st
              www.siliconventions.org

              Artist Space: www.colmahouse.com

            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2003
                Simplicity just came out with a very simple bodice pattern.
                Can't remember the number, but the envelope picture also
                shows a kerchief skirt. It would be near the fron of the
                costume section in the catalogue. Hope this helps.
                Jessica

                --- Watcher <skybow666@...> wrote:
                > Hello, I am new to this group but I have questions
                > aplenty. My girlfriend is wanting to make a bodice. Has
                > anyone out there made one and can you give me some advice
                > that I might be able to pass

                =====
                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • Watcher
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Thanks Jessica, I really appreciate it. It is great help. My girlfriend and I are wanting to start making our own garb. She saws and is teaching me the basics right now. This might be a good one for me.............Fergus

                  Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:Simplicity just came out with a very simple bodice pattern.

                  =====