Re: More on 1903

  • am_mozart
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2003
      My favorite resource for this question is http://www.gbacg.org,
      click on their Great Pattern Review. Some companies you might be
      interested in are:

      Laughing Moon
      Truly Victorian
      Past Patterns
      Buckaroo Bobbins (not as rigorous historically, but possibly more
      comfortable and easier for you if you're not planning on going the
      whole corset and multiple petticoats route.)
      ...and don't forget Simplicity, Butterick, McCalls. Again, not
      always terribly authentic, but probably won't require much fitting,
      and pretty easy to make.

      With a ball gown, you can get away with something fairly low cut,
      which will be a little cooler.

      Have fun - it sounds like a marvelous event.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Spidra Webster
      <spidra@s...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I just joined this Yahoo Group. I'm an intermediate
      > seat-of-the-pants seamstress and amateur costumer. I don't yet
      have
      > significant tailoring or pattern drafting skills. A local city is
      > having a ball to celebrate their centennial this year. I love to
      > dance, but I heat up quite easily. The high necklines of the
      > Edwardian period look to be murder! Does anyone know of a good
      > pattern I could buy for an Edwardian ballgown or separates that
      will
      > work for evening wear? It doesn't really need to be that fancy,
      just
      > well-ventilated. ;-) I wear size 20 and am six feet tall, so
      > patterns that run small won't do.
      >
      > Spidra Webster
      >
      > Join The Dance Card! A nexus for all the different recreational
      dance
      > communities in the SF Bay Area - Vintage Ballroom, Modern
      Ballroom,