Matelasse

  • kendrasmomsews
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2003
      Hello everyone! Just when I thought I knew all I'd ever need to know
      about fabric, a new word crossed my path. I want to sew a jacket and
      the pattern calls for "matelasse." The dictionary tells me it is any
      fabric embossed or having a raised design. Pique was the alternate
      choice on the pattern (and I do know what that is!) My question is
      this: Is prequilted fabric considered a matelasse? Are there any
      other types of fabric that would fall into the matelasse category?
      (that can be found at an average midwestern fabric store?) Thanks,
      Jen
    • DJCPoland@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2003
        I don't know the term, but once you find out what the fabric looks like, you
        may be able to fake it's appearance with a heat gun and an appropriate
        heat-sensitive fabric. Many fabrics that do not like a hot iron can gain a
        permanent texture by being draped over a texture field (say a layer of small
        pebbles) or tied as if for shibori and then heated until they take the form
        of what's underneath. After the fabric cools, the texture pattern remains.

        Donna Carty
      • DJCPoland@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2003
          Actually, I just realized I do know the term...pronounced as "matt lahzay".
          You'll see it in many home furnishing catalogues in bed covers. It looks
          rather like very closely placed quilting in a geometric pattern on a solid
          color fabric, with areas in which there is no quilting standing out as the
          actual pattern on the whole piece. I just found it in the Brylane Home
          catalogue, and they have a website www.brylanehome.com.

          Donna Carty