Re: dilemma??????

  • Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17 11:02 PM
      > I'm sorry, but how did that have anything to do with what I wrote?
      > Rhematoid Arthritis is not as minor as a downpour? This is my life
      > ruined. Remind how it's similar?

      I think the point she was trying to make was that there are so many
      times where we decide "the show must go on" that turn out to be
      wonderful (like the downpour) that we tend to often do
      self-sacrificing things for shows that we should not, because they can
      have long term evils attached to them. I think we all have
      experiences working on projects where being self sacrificing is a good
      experience, that we are often socialized as theatre people into
      beliving that any self-sacrifice is justified. This simply isn't the
      case. Most any person who has aquired a modicum of theatre experience
      knows that while digging your heels in and saying, "NO! I will not
      work with toxic chemicals, I will not do a badly planned stunt fall, I
      will not smoke on stage, I will not pull "all nighters" on a build",
      etc. often gets you crap from the people who still haven't learned to
      distinguish minor sacrifices from important ones, it is really
      necessary to say "NO!" when it is something that can have a long term
      negative.

      Sorry to say, most all of us don't learn this till we have made one of
      these less than bright choices. I didn't learn to put my foot down
      about toxic costume products until I nearly got my self hospitalized,
      and spent over a year with a mild case of "20th Century Syndrome"
      (Where you suddenly find yourself hyper sensitive to nearly all
      solvents and airborne chemicals). Even then I felt plenty of pressure
      from co-workers and bosses to ignore the problem, because the "Show
      must go on" ethic is so strong. I essentally had to (this was in
      1983) pioneer the use of non-toxic substitutes and proper use of
      safety devices so that I could keep working, yet not poison myself.

      Part of the reason that I have the job I do have at UAF is that the
      previous designer still had not learned this valuable lesson after 10
      years of teaching, and managed to do things (spray painting indoors,
      etc.) that got her hospitalized for about a month, and compelled her
      to quit the job and seek disability for several years.

      Yet I can tell you dozens of stories where making a small sacrifice
      had good results, which is why we often find it so hard to say "NO!"
      to the more serious ones.