Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Salvaging linen

  • Joannah Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2003
      --- message from Sheila Martinez <willistreet@...> attached:
      Sheila, what I was wanting to use it for is for 17th century chemises/smocks/shifts, as it is a nice fine weave. These are worn right next to the skin, underneath a corset/stays. (I belong to an English Civil War re-enactment group. Moderately mad, trying to be accurate e.g. wool coats, in a subtropical climate!?!) So, the softer the better.
      I was just wondering if there was anything faster than repeated washing, in the same way that new towels can be treated if they stay stiff and unabsorbant. I think that is something to do with soaking with bicarbonate of soda.
      Thanks for the swift reply.
      Joannah.