Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Google Eyes

  • Manxminx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2000
      You might try Michael's Craft Store. I believe I have seen them there in the
      past. Also with Halloween coming soon, the seasonal Halloween store carry's
      unusual things like that. Best of luck.
      Manxminx
    • linda craft
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2000
        If I remember right, Kermit's original eyes were made
        of ping pong balls. (I read this in an artical on Jim
        Hensen) If all else fails you might be able to make
        Cookie monsters eyes out of those. goog luck
        linda
        --- "Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer"
        <Tara@...> wrote:
        > I don't know, but I'm going to post this to my
        > eGroup in case someone else
        > knows.
        >
        > Ed Johnson wrote:
        >
        > > I am creating a "Cookie Monster" costume for
        > Halloween. I am having trouble
        > > finding a pair of eyes like the originals which
        > are spherical and "googly".
        > > Do you have any ideas where I could locate such a
        > pair of large white,
        > > googly eyes?
        > >
        > > Ed Johnson

        > > Name: winmail.dat
        > > winmail.dat Type: application/ms-tnef
        > > Encoding: base64
        >
        > --
        > ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate
        > Professor
        > Theatre UAF/The University of Alaska Fairbanks
        >
        > Come see one of the web's largest costume sites
        > "The Costumer's Manifesto" at
        > http://www.costumes.org
        > More costume site than you can surf in a day.
        >
        > See also http://moviefans.to/MenWithBigHair (The
        > Costume Movie Site)
        > and http://visit.to/TheCostumeShop (The UAF Costume
        > Department Online)

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Sarah P
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2000
          I don't know much about googly-eyes, but here's what I'd do if I were making
          them.

          I know most muppet eyes are made of ping-pong balls cut in half or 3/4,
          sliced straight across. If 3/4, it would look like a bowl instead of a pie.
          A Cookie-Monster google-eye moves, so I'd take the top section of the
          cut-away ping-pong (the side you're not using) and trim it down to the size
          of an eyeball, making sure it fits sort of smoothly over the surface of the
          main eye, file the edges smooth, then paint the eyeball black. I'd put a
          pin-sized hole in the center of both and would then attach the two with
          fishing line, tying a knot in the end on the outside so the eyeball wouldn't
          fall off and leaving just enough slack to let it "google" around. Then I'd
          tie the other end to either a toothpick cut and glued into the inside of the
          eye or thread it through another hole pinned through the edge of the main
          eye, where the knot can be hidden in the fur. The knot on the eyeball would
          also get blackened, or not, if it doesn't show. At least, that's what I
          would do for a googly-eye. It makes sense to me, but then, I haven't made
          one either.

          Wal-Mart or K-Mart's sporting goods dept. would have ping-pong balls. I
          don't know if they come in different sizes or not. You might also try
          whiffle balls which are larger and white and have a similar texture to a
          ping-pong ball. Just get some that are solid on one side, without holes all
          over. Good luck with your Cookie-Monster! (He was one of my favorite
          characters on Sesame Street when I was little.)

          ****Raven

          ^_^

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • rermisch
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2000
            Hi!
            The only problem with the ping pong idea is that Kermit is a small
            puppet and Cookie monster is more people-life size. The balls would have to
            be much larger. Bigger than a baseball but smaller than a soccer ball too.
            When I made mine years ago. I took thick foam, approximately 6" wide
            wittled it done to half spheres and covered the result with a stretchable
            fabric and then just painted on the black part of the eye. I used
            fingernail scissors to cut small parts of the foam toward the end because
            you are basically sculpting the foam and to get a smoother look you need to
            finish cutting tiny pieces off . I know tis is not google eyes but I could
            not do them in the time alloted me then. The foam sculpting is the way most
            of the muppet heads have been done. I had a friend who worked on some of
            them for their traviling show years ago and he showed us the pictures of the
            progresive sculpting being done. Hope this is some help.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2000
              Like I said in my earlier message: if ping-pong balls are too small, go
              with as large a size whiffle-ball as you can find that doesn't have holes
              except on one side and cut as close to the beginning of the row of holes as
              possible to retain as much "eye" as you can. Then there's always
              Thermoplastic. Form it over something spherical that can take a lot of
              heat--like a ball of clay, like what potters use for making clay pots. A
              bag of potter's clay, some Thermoplastic, and a heat-gun, heavy-weight
              fishing line, black and white paint et voila! Friendly Plastic would work
              too, only with hot water instead of heat-gun. But where can you find
              Friendly Plastic in good-sized sheets? I'm looking for Friendly Plastic,
              but can't find it anywhere nearby. I've heard that a company by the name of
              "Unnatural Resources", or something like that, sells Thermoplastic and other
              plastics and unusual materials. Might look there.

              ----Raven

            • Liz Martin
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 13, 2000
                How about the clear semi-round ball things that come in the big gumball
                machines that hold spiders, stickers, plastic junk jewelry and the like.
                Those you could even make in to googly eyes by putting a piece of heavy paper
                about 2/3 of the way in the circle and dropping in a black disc. Ialso think
                that eyes that are the size of baseballs might be a little out of proportion,
                unless the human under them is very large & tall! Good luck.