Re: Costume Library

  • Jenni
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hello Jessica,

      I'm not much help with the medieval books, as this is not "my" era,
      but the 18th century is my personal favorite, so I have a few books
      on the topic! ; )

      Here is my list of favorite costume books that I own:

      "Costume Close-Up: Clothing Construction and Pattern 1750-1790"
      by Linda Baumgarten & John Watson with Florine Carr
      - Tons of information, pictures, and patterns!

      "What Clothes Reveal: The Language of Clothing in Colonial and
      Federal America"
      by Linda Baumgarten
      - No patterns this time, but tons of information & color pictures
      like you wouldn't believe!

      "Fashion in Detail From the 17th and 18th Centuries"
      by Avril Hart and Susan North
      - Close-up pictures in color, with a line drawing of the item and
      some text about each piece.

      "Costume In Detail 1730-1930"
      by Nancy Bradfield
      - Excellant book full of black & white drawings and text about many
      different items, I refer to this one all the time.

      "Textiles for Colonial Clothing: A Workbook of Swatches and
      Information"
      by Sally A. Queen
      - This one goes fabric shopping with me! : ) It's very handy if you
      plan to make accurate reproductions of 18th century clothing.

      "Fitting & Proper: 18th Century Clothing from the Collection of the
      Chester County Historical Society"
      by Sharon Ann Burnston
      - Another good book with patterns, if you plan to reproduce 18th
      century costume.

      "Patterns of Fashion: The cut and construction of clothes for men
      and women c1560-1620"
      "Patterns of Fashion I: Englishwomen's dresses and their
      construction c. 1660-1860"
      "Patterns of Fashion II: Englishwomen's dresses and their
      construction c. 1860-1940"
      by Janet Arnold
      - I love all three of these books! They include patterns, detailed
      drawings, and very detailed information about the assembly of each
      item.

      "Period Costume for Stage & Screen - Patterns for Women's Dress 1500-
      1800"
      "Period Costume for Stage & Screen - Patterns for Women's Dress 1800-
      1909"
      by Jean Hunnisett
      - These books are geared more towards the theatrical costumer, but
      still are very handy, and provide some basic construction help as
      well as great patterns that you can easily enlarge and customize.
      (She has more than two books, but I have not had the opportunity to
      see them yet, so can not offer my personal opinion - however, if they
      are as good as the two I have, then they are worth having!)

      Enjoy!
      -Jenni

      "Historically Dressed"
      http://costumes.topcities.com

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Siebel San
      <siebelsan@y...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      > I have recently discovered Amazon is a great way to build
      > up my library because of the good prices on used books, and
      > would like to know if there are any must-have titles that
      > anyone can recommend. Wow, that was a long sentence. I am
      > looking for medieval and colonial references mostly, but
      > I'd like to know anything else interesting. Also, if
      > anyone had any they are looking to get rid of and sell, let
      > me know!
      > Thanks,
      > Jessica
    • Jenni