Anti war costumes

  • sylvia
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2003
      I want to thank everyone who sent me suggestions for my anti-war costume.
      All of them were good. I think the one I like the best came from Deb, who
      was highly critical of my opinions on this war. She said I should wear red,
      white and blue with peace symbols to show that I am a patriot who supports
      peace. So maybe I'll incorporate that into a Donna Reed type of outfit,
      since I like that idea too.

      Now I hope we can start discussing other topics. I discovered today that I
      have gotten much too personally upset about this war. I have come down with
      shingles, which is caused by the chickenpox virus that remains dormant in
      the body for a whole lifetime after one has the disease as a child. Stress
      causes it to erupt again.

      Of course part of my stress comes from the fact that I have a son in the
      military in Jordan right now. Nothing I can do about that except take
      comfort in his being in a relatively safe place and out of combat.

      And I can say I am in very good company. David Letterman contracted
      shingles about 3 weeks to a month ago and has been off the air and
      recuperating since then. I hope mine aren't that disabling but I need now
      to try to maintain some inner peace in the face of all this worldly chaos.
      I think we all need to do what we can in confronting injustice but we need
      to take care of ourselves too.

      Sylvia Rognstad, another mother for peace
      --
      Divinity Designs and Emeralds
      http://www.d-e-designs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2003
        Sylvia,
        Boy! You certainly have a load on your plate right now. My best to you and your son. My heart is with you.
        sheila
        sylvia <sylvia@...> wrote:I want to thank everyone who sent me suggestions for my anti-war costume.
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • sylvia
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2003
          Thank you.

          on 3/29/03 10:23 PM, Sheila Martinez at willistreet@... wrote:

[...]

        • Ana's Accoutremonts
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
            Good Idea! Does anybody have any good ideas how to switch an overcoat
            or suit coat from right over left button (girl style) to left over right
            (boy style)? Sometimes in adapting a costume, it would be great if only
            it buttoned the "right" way...

            Ana

            --
            Ana Foscari
            Ana's Accoutremonts

            "Anger never ceases with anger,
            Anger is healed by love alone.
            Open your heart to love.
            Pray for Peace."

          • Stickfries@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
              Sew up the existing buttonholes and then remove the buttons and restitch on
              top of the closed buttonholes. You can then just snap rig the coat closed so
              that you can put everything back afterwards.

              Kimberly
            • Bonnie Prater
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Ana's Accoutremonts"
                <ana@s...> wrote:
                > Good Idea! Does anybody have any good ideas how to switch an
                overcoat
                > or suit coat from right over left button (girl style) to left over
                right
                > (boy style)? Sometimes in adapting a costume, it would be great if
                only
                > it buttoned the "right" way...
                >
                > Ana

                Leave the button holes open, sew buttons on the back of the other
                coat side behind the exising buttons and button it up from the
                inside, kind of like a blouse with a hidden placket. If you
                need "buttonholes" to show on the top, take off the buttons, sew fake
                buttonholes on the flap and then sew the buttons over
                the "buttonholes" and behind as earlier mentioned. They can be taken
                out later if needed to revert.

                Bonnie