[TheCostumersManifesto] RE:finding re-enactment groups other than SCA

  • Susan Johnston
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi Judy:

      After working in a fabric store for nine years, I've
      had some experience with re-enactors of several
      different periods, so I have some idea of the strict
      guidelines that are used. This, however, has failed
      to dissuade me (I must be a glutton for punishment)
      from wanting to expand into different areas.

      True, there are advantages to selling to the "general
      public" at Ren Faires because people get so caught up
      in the atmosphere they just want the look. I'm sure
      that this is something that happens at other events.
      Ren Faire participants can be just as strict on their
      guidelines.

      The other side of the coin is that fabrics used in any
      particular time period are either too costly or have
      evolved to modern standards so much they are
      unsuitable for the garments which is where some
      compromise has to be made. (Which is why so much Ren
      garb is made using drapery or upholstery fabrics.)

      For later periods, the problem is more the cost of
      using good wools, cottons, linens and other natural
      fabrics and the dying processes.

      The problem I seem to run into more often than not is
      that some people don't want to pay for the time,
      effort and experience that goes into creating any type
      of garment.

      Thank you for your time and information.

      --- Judy Cataldo <judycat@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I'm a Rev War re-enactor and we too have strict
      > guidelines regarding
      > authenticity. There are people who will buy
      > anything and don't really care
      > as well as units who do not have strict guidelines.
      > Many of us, however,
      > feel if you are going to do it you should do it
      > right. There is a very big
      > need for suttlers (vendors) who provide ready made
      > clothing. Most
      > re-enactors don't have the skill to make their own
      > clothing or don't want to
      > go through the bother of enlarging the patterns from
      > books. Their are lots
      > of suttlers for Civil War but a lot fewer making
      > GOOD reproduction clothing
      > for Rev War and French & Indian War periods.
      > You could make money doing period clothing for
      > re-enactors, how much
      > would depend on the quality and availability. I
      > would suggest going to a
      > few events to get a feel for the periods and see
      > what other's are selling.
      > The major organization for Rev War is the Brigade of
      > the American Revolution
      > http://www.brigade.org/barcal.html
      >
      > Judy
      > judycat@...
      > http://pages.prodigy.net/judycat/
      > Colonial Spinning Bee
      > June 10, 2001 Chelmsford, MA
      > http://pages.prodigy.net/judycat/info.html

      =====
      Susan Johnston
      Sew Knightly

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Rici Tegarden
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 8, 2002
        I had those sorts of problems with the old version until in a lot of frustration I called the 800 number.  There were problems with the printer settings and after I adjusted those everything worked better.  The new version is really much better definitely worth the cost of the upgrade. I now have access to a plotter and the patterns should print better.