Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: this group

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 21, 2003
      >i am new to this group, so may i ask where you are all from? hi all xxxx

      Aloha, I am the costumer from the small island of Kauai, Hawaii, where the
      weather is sunny, breezy and BEAUFIFUL (sorry all you snow babes). I love
      this chat room and constantly tell others who make costumes that I find on
      the internet or know to check us out. I began making costumes because I'm a
      mom who sews and who'se five kids have all acted in school and community
      theater. I've gotten pretty good, but compared to many of you guys, I'm a
      real amatuer. But, since they pay me now to make these costumes, I guess
      that makes me a professional? Here's a new question for the group: If you
      are a self taught costumer, like I am, but you are producing many costumes
      used for live theater and being paid for you efforts, does that make you a
      professional costumer? OR do you need to have a formal education? I know
      many of you are college trained. I don't want to offend anyone if I call
      myself a costumer, so lets' talk about this.

      I will be posting photos of my BRIGADOON costumes on my baby blanket web
      site (www.alohababyblankets.com) in a few weeks, so I'll let you know when
      to go to view them. I enjoy when you all show your work with photos or links
      to web sites. Thank you for all the inspiration and answers to questions.
      Poppy Shell (for those who remember my questions about kilt making, I have
      learned to make kilts from really cheap flannel. THey look pretty good, but
      I had to sew the edge of EACH pleat to keep the pleat in. I'm sure I'll be
      ironing them alot during the play, too. I've also learned to make corsets
      and all the input from you people have really helped me with these two
      projects.) HAPPY SPRING - Poppy

    • Sheila Martinez
      Message 65 of 65 , Mar 27, 2003
        Sally,
        thanks for sharing your info. I think you are on the right track. Looks like you are having all the fun. You certainly have your hands full.
        sheila
        daze140291@... wrote:hi all x
        seeing as we all giving out personal C.V.'s can I add mine?

        i began making costumes when i was 18 when i set up a small theatre company
        in the South of England and made or created all the costumes for the shows we
        did. the biggest being a musical that i wrote in 1984, when i was 20 years
        old, with a cast of 50 kids.

        i didn't do any more until i went to college when i was 34 to study
        Performing Arts and i gain 14 Distinctions and 9 merits for my work, one of
        them in costume.

        I left college and set up two theatre companies for disabled and able bodied
        kids and one just for the disabled. we performed our own version of Cats
        seven tomes, all different performances where I wrote most of my own music
        and songs. in these shows i created our own Cat costumes based on the
        originals in the lloyd webber shows but on a cheaper budget!

        since them i have made costumes for make up artistes when taking their exams,
        and I have created planet of the apes and victorian pedlar ladies!

        now i am creating medieval, Victorian and 1910's. i have also started
        collecting old vintage costumes for my personal collection and I love 1910
        and 1920's fashion. (I was probably a flapper in my previously life as I so
        love jazz also!)

        I have two disabled children and i am a single parent but i plan one day to
        be a "Professional" costumer, in that I would get paid. I would also love to
        write more musicals. On top of all this, i am also studying a theatrical
        make up course at college. I would love to work for film and theatre one day
        but at present i am thoroughly enjoying myself and creating at my leisure!

        i am open to any advice.........in fact would love some

        Sally, from sunny north wales, UK

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1707300337:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1707300337:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;