Costuming Articles in The LARPer

  • castalusoria@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
      Ladies and gents, the latest issue of "The LARPer," the online magazine of the Live Action Roleplayers' Assocation (LARPA, www.larpaweb.org), has two articles on costuming; one by Ellen Endress, and one by, err... me. Hers is practical, mine's an editorial. Welcome any and all feedback. (and topics for future articles-- or volunteers to *author* future articles!)

      The LARPer's main page is at
      http://www.thelarper.org

      Ellen's article, The Art of Thrift Fu, is at
      http://www.thelarper.org/issue_winter_2003/thrift_fu.html

      My (opinionated) article is at
      http://www.thelarper.org/issue_winter_2003/costume_commentary.html

      The editorial's written from my perspective having been involved in Live-Action Roleplaying for the last few years-- not from my experiences in theater.

      Part of my reason for writing it was having taken flak in the past when people thought some of the costume-hounds in my crowd were judgmental of people who didn't want to or couldn't afford to costume-- which isn't true. Part of it was the editrix, Laura's, "YOU KNOW THIS STUFF, I NEED CONTENT!" plea. ;) Part of it was to give credit where credit was due-- why I got involved in this stuff at all-- "Hi, Mom." :)

      A bit that escaped my lightspeed proofread that will (hopefully) be updated by the time folks click on the above links: when I mention the formalwear Mom's made, and it not-fitting quite right, and my making a new dress-- it was *my* fault... *I* didn't fit into the dresses quite right any more. At the time they were made-- they fit *perfectly!* *grin*

      Also: for the SCA folks out there-- my editorial is colored a bit by having had some negative experiences with historical costume folks-- I've been quite pleased to note that the folks on these lists have been largely *supportive* of *any* effort to costume, which is a welcome relief. I value *all* input about methods, materials, and resources-- these have been valuable communities for me, and I can't thank y'all enough.

      That said, any and all feedback-- positive, negative, or anywhere in-between, is welcome.

      Kind regards,

      ~ Kate

    • t d

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
          I found it amusing that your mother's business was called "Katy's Mother".
          When I recently decided to start doing a bit of custom sewing, I made up
          business cards with the name "Aaron's Mother". Aaron IS my son, but the
          reason I chose that name was so that my card would be first in the file box
          at Jo-Anns.

          Sylvia

          on 3/4/03 7:28 AM, castalusoria@... at castalusoria@...
          wrote:

[...]

          http://webmail.netscape.com/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • castalusoria@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
            Alas, indeed, there wasn't a JoAnn's around when Mom drummed up "Katy's Mom." She now tells me that the spelling change was a factor of fitting it aesthetically on the business cards. *sigh* Shatter my 6-year-old delusions of grandeur, eh?

            Actually, Sylvia raises a good point-- the JoAnns (and Hancock/Minnesota) stores around me don't offer this-- is it a local-permission thing? In the DC area, I do a lot of my fabric buys at My-An Fabrics (now only in Falls Church, VA, the Langley Park location having closed), and they do have a bulletin board for local businesspeople. What other resources have y'all found for drumming up business, short of paid advertising?

            Kudos to Aaron-- what a great Mom! (And to Sylvia for that crafty marketing strategy!)

            ~ Kate