Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Introduce Yourself!

  • Patricia (Coopie) Mason
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2000
      > Name?
      Coopie

      > Location?
      Norman, OK

      > Mental Age?
      I am what I am! 63

      > Do you have a web site?
      Not yet, maybe never.

      > What is your main interest in costume?
      I am shop co-ordinator at the university here.

      > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
      I will watch ANYTHING,and it's hard to pick a favorite. I'm pretty much a
      creature of enthusiams. Which is why theatre is a good place for me. Build a
      world today, tear it down tomorrow! Build a new one on Wednesday!

      > What is your favorite historic costume period?
      Whichever I'm working in NOW. I really don't like "weird". I hate to build
      "trees" , etc.

      > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
      Believe me there are too many to cover in one setting.

      > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
      > etc.?
      I don't like to be judgementat with folk who are doing their best without
      the background. But I really hate "wrong".

      > What is your favorite weird costume material?

      > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
      > vain.
      >
      > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
      At this moment, NOT cranberry red slik velvet.

    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000

        > Name? Jessie
        >
        > Location? PA
        >
        > Mental Age? depends. I was born an adult, but sometimes
        I regress...

        > Do you have a web site? yeah, but it's cheesy and stupid
        and I am hoping no one will ever visit it so it will
        eventually disappear. I plan to put up a new one for my
        costuming business soon though: stay tuned!

        > What is your main interest in costume?
        Medieval/Renaissance/Fantasy I love making unique and
        detailed things - no two of my costumes are ever exactly
        alike.

        > What are your favorite Costume Movies? 'Midsummer Night's
        Dream', 'Gone With the Wind' (always wanted to make
        Scarlett's BBQ dress), 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves',
        'Legend', 'Titanic' (and ONLY for the costumes), and a
        million others...

        > What is your favorite historic costume period? lol, just
        about everything between 1200 and 1920.

        > Describe your favorite costume disaster. gosh, there were
        so many I don't know how I live with them...probably the
        taffeta medieval gown I made two years ago with the sleeves
        that just wouldn't fit in the armholes and in turn just
        won't fit the arms and shoulders in them. I am still
        struggling with that to this day

        > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire,
        > SCA event,
        > etc.? I can think of anything too horrendous. I guess
        the worst was a Tudor/Elizibethan gown at a Medieval faire.
        And the gown was done in pink and pastel purple ::sigh::
        so completely wrong...

        > What is your favorite weird costume material? cellophane
        baby! and weird stuff out of the floral departments - you
        can have lots of fun with spanish moss and garlands of
        leaves (someone looked at my first fairy costume and
        remarked that I looked like I had gotten into a fight with
        a tree and lost) I do much of my material shopping at yard
        sales, trift shops, salvation army...

        > Describe a costume object or material for which you have
        > searched in
        > vain. 5+ yards (all one piece) of good, heavy,
        old-fashioned brocade. The closest I've come were some old
        red and black brocade curtains. And even then, I can
        usually come up with something close.

        > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In something she could
        actually wear sometime and some place other than the
        wedding.

        Short bio: I am 18 and have been sewing for about a year
        and a half, and while I am not a prodigy, I do seem to have
        some good amount of talent. I am in the process of
        starting a costuming business that specializes in
        medieval/fantasy and unique bridal/prom/evening gowns. My
        goal is to be able to customize to almost any budget (we
        all know the price difference between a gown in velvet and
        a gown in calico, but they can be equally beautiful)
        Anyhow, I work from my dining room, am contemplating
        going to college for costume/fashion design, am engaged
        (I'll be the first to admit I am too young), manage a Pizza
        Hut where I am known as the Sacraficial Virgin, and
        basically live the crazy, hectic teenage life :-)

        All the best,
        Jessie

        =====
        - - - - - - - - - -

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • linda craft
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
          --- TheCostumer Tara Maginnis <Tara@...>
          wrote:
          > > Name?Linda
          >
          > Location?Holland, MI
          >
          > Mental Age? 2 1/2 on a good day...3>
          > Do you have a web site?yes, but it isn't finished
          yet. it may never get finished

          > What is your main interest in costume?I do high
          school plays, so most of the things I do are pretty
          classic high school We are doing Fiddler on the roof
          right now. I'm having fun coming up with ideas for
          Fruma Sarah (who happens to be my daughter)>
          > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Ever After,
          Hello Dolly,(love those hats)

          > What is your favorite historic costume period?I have
          to pick just one??? I love anything in the 1100-1300
          , also 1860 through the 1930's I love 30's clothes.

          > Describe your favorite costume disaster. There was
          an actor once who bled on her costume,just before a 3
          day rest and didn't tell anyone, later when I went to
          iron it I found the mess. needless to say it never
          came out. Fortunately it was a red suit so it didn't
          show up past the first couple rows.

          > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a
          > RenFaire, SCA event,
          > etc.?
          >
          > What is your favorite weird costume material? The
          shinny silver insulation fabric used for pot holders
          etc. It makes a wonderful Tin Man that sparkles in the
          lights. Also I live in an area where they make office
          furniture. Several of the companies sell their excess
          fabric,at $1.00 or give it away to the schools. I get
          wonderful $20 - $30 a yard fabric for peanuts. I made
          wonderful costumes for Once Upon a Mattress and
          Cinderella last year. If you live anywhere near a
          place like that call them and see if you can get great
          stuff too.
          > Describe a costume object or material for which you
          > have searched in
          > vain. I've only been doing this for 8 years, I've
          always managed to get lucky sometimes two days before
          opening

          > How you would dress a bridesmaid? Like real people,
          not frilly,fluffy ,full sized dolls. In real clothes
          they could really use again, or at least use on stage
          or sell.

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Maxim Paprosa
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2000
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com, "TheCostumer Tara Maginnis"
            <Tara@c...> wrote:
            > Greetings, this is Tara your fearless moderator. I was thinking it
            > might be nice if all you folks posted introductions to the group so
            > you could find out more about who everyone is. So for a start here
            > are some questions you all may want to answer. Feel free to add
            more.

            > Name?
            Maxim Paprosa, THR 254 dropout

            > Location?
            at home in the arctic

            > Mental Age?
            I have to show i.d. to purchase alcohol

            > Do you have a web site?
            yea, but it contains 0% of your RDI of costumes

            > What is your main interest in costume?
            I enjoy making my own clothes, and I'm also interested in the socio-
            economic-enviornmental aspects of clothing.>

            > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
            I've given this a bit of thought. It's a tie between Andrei
            Tarkovsky's 'Andrei Rublev' (for historical accuracy; too bad the
            film was shot in b&w) and John Water's movies, especially Pink
            Flamingos (innovative and filmed in color) and Female Trouble. What I
            really appreciate about John Water's early films is the low-budget
            aspect, being innovative with a $200 art budget for Pink Flamingos.

            > What is your favorite historic costume period?
            pre-contact american textiles such as chilkat weaving & Incan textiles
            I also like punk rock, and 1960s-1970s alaskan parkas

            > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
            $200 budget for metallic spray paint, to be applied to ~50 masks and
            gowns by ~ a team of 5 unsupervised teenage inhalent-abusers. End
            result prematurely running out of paint and learning how stupid kids
            can be.

            > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
            > etc.?
            I watched the film 'trekkies' and I was mostly disturbed by it all,
            especially the trekkie-costumed lap dog. I would have to say I am
            disturbed by any such dog-costume

            > What is your favorite weird costume material?
            snack food wrappers! Genius, Tara! Anything recycled/reused

            > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
            in vain.
            Hemp fleece! Hemp/silk brocade! Who knows where to find this?

            > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
            I think most importantly a bridesmade's outfit should allow her to
            move about easily to do last minute wedding stuff. I would avoid
            panniers, stays, petticoats, super-long sleeves or skirts.
          • cecilia@jahoopa.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
              Hello, all. Just joined the list today, skimmed through all the
              posts just to get an idea of the atmosphere. And I thought I'd fill
              out the survey!

              > Name?
              Jeni

              > Location?
              Scranton, PA

              > Mental Age?
              Varies from 16 to 40, I think.

              > Do you have a web site?
              Yes, but I have about 1% costume stuff on there, and it's in the
              process of moving to a popup-free server.

              > What is your main interest in costume?
              Becoming someone else. I'm a very escapist person.

              > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
              Titanic, Ever After, Les Miserables (some versions). Lately, It's A
              Wonderful Life (my first theatrical costuming gig, which I'm working
              on right now for very small community theatre)

              > What is your favorite historic costume period?
              That mysterious transition between Regency and Crinoline. I also
              dabble in early 16th century France, 18th century rural American,
              French Revolution and Empire, and 1912-1915.

              > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
              Oh, I haven't been doing this long enough for any major disasters.
              That is, I have always expected fully to screw up. Sometimes, I
              surprise myself.

              > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
              > etc.?
              Well, other than the usual scary faire conventions... I can't forget
              the girl in the white lacey ruffled Scarlett O'Hara hoop dress,
              compleat with sausage curls and matching parasol.

              > What is your favorite weird costume material?
              I saw one of those plastic sunvisors turned into a French hood by
              turning it around and sticking it on the top of her head. She had
              covered it with velvet and yummy trim and added a veil.. I just
              thought that was brilliant.

              > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
              > in vain.
              It's more a budget issue than being unable to find something,
              usually. Right now, I'm trying to find several dresses for Violet in
              IAWL in the theatre's meager closet of cast-offs. The actress is a
              size three.. I have the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of
              alterations.

              > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
              Well, five or so attendants, each in a different time period would be
              neat. It would allow finding a flattering style for each girl, and
              the whole look could be pulled together by using similar color
              choices. What to do with the ushers, though..

              Well, that's it. Hopefully, I will be able to learn from you all, as
              I definately have a lot to learn.
            • Cecilia duPont
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
                > Hmm...I'd do the same for the ushers, too, matching each one to the
                time
                > period of each bridesmaids' dress. �While doing that, you could
                give each
                > pair coordinating colors and arrange them so that they'd be in
                chronological
                > order when in the processional and stuff. �Doing that, there could
                be one
                > color that went with everything that was used with everyone for the
                > through-line that ties it all together. �Sounds like a fun project.

                It does... well, you know how hard it is to get a guy in a tux,
                talking them into hosen or breeches or anything like that is that
                much harder. You'd have to have a lot of very understanding guy
                friends, lol. At least with my husband, I can use coercion. (We
                eloped, so I never had to worry about dressing bridesmaids)

                > Oh, and about IAWL...

                Thank you for all your ideas.. I hope it doesn't come down to me
                actually making something from scratch. I'm not very good yet.
                Salvation Army will hopefully be my best bet. This character runs
                such a gamut, from 30's nice girl to 40's prostitute.

                Jeni.

                Sent by Jahoopa Free Email!
                Find us on the web at http://www.jahoopa.com
                Join today!
              • Alexa304@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
                  I know where to buy all kinds of hemp fabric. Try Ohio Hempery they have an
                  800 number 1800 buy hemp
                • Rachael Emborg
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                    > Name? Rachael Emborg
                    > Location? Missoula Montana
                    > Mental Age? 31 or 3 depending on the day
                    > Do you have a web site? not at this time
                    > What is your main interest in costume? I do SCA, but have also
                    done theatre costuming in the past
                    > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Star Wars *grin* I love
                    Princess Leia's getups. I also liked Sean Connery's duds in the Wind
                    and the Lion :)

                    > What is your favorite historic costume period? Byzantine Empire

                    > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                    > etc.? A"middle eastern" that was sheer glittery chiffon pants
                    split from ankle to hip up the side with a lightweight lycra top and
                    *no Underwear of any kind*

                    Glad to be here - this looks like a place that combines all of my
                    strange interests.
                    -rachael
                  • randrean@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 11, 2001
                      > Name? Raun
                      >
                      > Location? WI
                      >
                      > Mental Age? 2-2000 really depends on the day
                      >
                      > Do you have a web site? Nope
                      >
                      > What is your main interest in costume? I am an actor who has spent
                      as many hours if not more in the shop than on the boards. It keeps me
                      busy when I have a million other things to do.

                      > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Movies with puppets like
                      Dark Crystal, Labrynth. They don't always dress real people but the
                      body shapes of the puppets are usually closer to real people than
                      movie star bodies

                      > What is your favorite historic costume period? Nothing specific.
                      Long skirts and corsettes

                      > Describe your favorite costume disaster. It's beyond description in
                      such a short space. My first full costume design this last fall. a
                      new adaptation of The Three musketeers By an experimental theatre.
                      SCARED THE S@^* out of me.

                      > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                      > etc.? I don't really have time for events.
                      >
                      > What is your favorite weird costume material? Colored Saran Wrap
                      >
                      > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                      in
                      > vain. Okay, well, I can never find closures. I always have some
                      but it seems like it's never the right one. (I know that is a
                      convoluted interp. of the ??)

                      > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In tuxedos. Put the men in
                      dresses. I don't know?
                    • Michaela de Bruce
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 13, 2001
                        OK, I never did this before yet have been a big fan of the site for
                        so long.. and been a member of the group for months;)

                        > > Name?

                        michaela de bruce, or online: Neimhaille, Azrael, Az, any variations
                        on the theme.

                        > > Location?

                        Auckland, New Zealand, but I'm a natural born rover, just spent three
                        years saving in as many weeks in london and northern Europe

                        > > Mental Age?

                        Umm.. varies. Sometime I feel like a little old lady wondering at
                        today's youth, then I feel like a disenfranchised youth myself.

                        > > Do you have a web site

                        Yes, several:
                        http://recital.tripod.com/costume my own work
                        http://recital.tripod.com/fashion images of 1870-1886
                        http://phoenix.song.tripod.com personal site, only go there if
                        extremely bored, some rants ans such.
                        http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/stage/4881/ I think, my old
                        research on Trilby. Site is around 4 years old and neglected just as
                        long.

                        >> What is your main interest in costume?

                        hmm... well I can say how it started, but I don't really know what
                        else to say. It began when I fell in love with Phatom of the Opera by
                        Andrew Lloyd Webber, and finally got the book of the musical at age
                        13. Suddenly I wanted to know everything about the 1880s. The
                        fashions, the PRB (Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood), french history.. etc.
                        Then I wanted to know how the costumes were made. So I studied as
                        many scaled patterns of actual garments I could. Made up some in that
                        scale, some dolls then finally decided to costume myself for a
                        singing competition.
                        I knew I couldn't get what I wanted. Too many stores go for tacky
                        glitz in polyester lining and lace. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good.
                        So I tried again and again to get what I wanted. Still not a master
                        of the craft, but I vertainly love it.

                        > > What are your favorite Costume Movies?

                        Dracula, Titanic (script stank, costumes were dreamy), Age of
                        Innocence, Dangerous Liasons, Fifth Element, Portrait of a Lady, Anna
                        Karenina (the one with Sean Bein), Sleepy Hollow, My fair Lady and
                        just saw one 2 nights ago. Clark and something. About two highwaymen
                        in the 18th C, but it had modern music and the costumes were twisted
                        and modernised. Worked well to make a nightmare world (1999).
                        For theatre, well Phantom clearly, My Fair Lady (that Ascot dres is
                        nearly religiosly copied), Notre Dame de Paris, people couldn't cope
                        with the mix of modern and anceint, personally I thought it worked.
                        Everyone looked like they belonged in an old time asylum (title of
                        one of the songs).

                        > > What is your favorite historic costume period?

                        All time, around 1875-1890. So artificial and if not creative then at
                        least trying something new: the sewing machine and chemical dyes.
                        Tudor and Elizabethan next, Georgian through to Regency, 1830s-40s...

                        > > Describe your favorite costume disaster.

                        ahh... for me, I wrote to Rob Guest to tell him I would attend the
                        final show of Phantom in NZ in a victorian gown. Well my sewing was
                        finished but the bloody thing didn't fit, and with 3 minutes before I
                        had to leave I just didn't have the time to fix the problem. So there
                        I was giving a standing ovation, and the TV cameras were right next
                        to me. I missed out on the chance of a lifetime to get my costuming
                        exposed for free!
                        Then again having a tied on skirt start to fall during a choral dance
                        routine was fun. I did hold on to the front, but it was a nervous
                        experience.

                        > > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                        > > etc.?

                        I've never been to one:(

                        > > What is your favorite weird costume material?

                        Plastic used to hold copy for magaine production. It's thick clear
                        plastic that goes silver when layered in large amounts. It's got some
                        percentage of silver nitrate in it I believe. I made feathers out of
                        it for my phoenix costume and use it to store all my patterns on.

                        > > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                        > in
                        > > vain.

                        Blue floral striped fabric. For the blue dress at my site. The stuff
                        I did manage to dye, has now faded so I have a pale blue fabric. I
                        have some stuff which will do now, but it needs a bit of hand
                        printing to make it a better match. And of course, velvet is out of
                        season just now (summer here).

                        > >How you would dress a bridesmaid?

                        hmmmmm... well I wouldn't put them in the exact same dress, unless
                        they were fraternal twins triplets etc. and they wanted that. Nor the
                        exact same shade of fabric. I'd work with what suited them and just
                        get them to look like they are wearing outfits that are from the same
                        collection. In them e with the bride and wedding, but not like
                        they've been stamped from the same mold.

                        Cheers,
                        michaela de bruce, only now catching up on nearly two months of email.
                      • fireleolovepower
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                          Name? Ravenhawk

                          Location? Lone Rock, Iowa, USA

                          Mental Age? Well hard to say sometimes 20 most of the time 35

                          Do you have a web site? No but I have a yahoo group
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CospIowa/

                          What is your main interest in costume? Anime Conventions and Anime
                          Cosplay

                          What are your favorite Costume Movies? Moulin Rouge

                          What is your favorite historic costume period? Well anything from
                          Japan, Also Medevil Times

                          Describe your favorite costume disaster. No One knew who I was.

                          What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                          etc.? Well I was at Anime Detour 2004 and a female was cosplaying
                          the male character Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

                          What is your favorite weird costume material? Haven't had an
                          opertunity to make any costume out of weird material

                          Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
                          vain. A fabric for A sweater duster , blue ribbed sweater material.
                          I'm really bad with picking material. I think one would be good but
                          when I get it doesn't work right.

                          How you would dress a bridesmaid? corset full skirt lots of layers
                          thin sheer fluffy look.