Black T-shirts

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Lara
      > Greene"
      > <laragreene@n...> wrote:
      > > Can you do some black t-shirts so we could wear them
      > backstage?
      >
      > Alas, no. CafePress doesn't do black t-shirts, so I can't
      > offer them
      > in the store, although I've written to them to suggest
      > that they add
      > black shirts.

      There's actually a very economically-based reason why they
      don't do black shirts...worked at a T-shirt shop for a
      while, and doing any design on black shirts (even a plain
      white text) requires at least twice the work and has about
      four times the reject rate on quality control. They have
      to silkscreen everything once with white (twice, if you
      want a good, true white) and that ties up your prodcution
      facility for the entire run, because you have to print them
      all, dry the ink, then print them all again. Add to that
      potential registration failures (where the designs aren't
      lined up properly between one color and the next), and it
      just makes black shirts a REAL pain in the backside. A lot
      of shops won't do black shirts...you might, however, look
      into having someone do an embroidered design (make it a
      smaller, pocket-sized design)...don't know how the 'cottage
      industry' movement is faring in your area, but I found
      about seven or eight places within an hour's drive of work
      that could do an embroidery run for under $10/shirt (plus
      $25 set-up)...I can get you an email address for the one I
      ended up using (did a marvelous job at a VERY economical
      price).

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Joshua Norton
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        I've been looking for something exactly like this. I'd like the contact info, also.

        Thanks
        JN
        > > Can you do some black t-shirts so we could wear them
        > backstage?
        >
        > Alas, no. CafePress doesn't do black t-shirts, so I can't
        > offer them
        > in the store, although I've written to them to suggest
        > that they add
        > black shirts.

        There's actually a very economically-based reason why they
        don't do black shirts...worked at a T-shirt shop for a
        while, and doing any design on black shirts (even a plain
        white text) requires at least twice the work and has about
        four times the reject rate on quality control. They have
        to silkscreen everything once with white (twice, if you
        want a good, true white) and that ties up your prodcution
        facility for the entire run, because you have to print them
        all, dry the ink, then print them all again. Add to that
        potential registration failures (where the designs aren't
        lined up properly between one color and the next), and it
        just makes black shirts a REAL pain in the backside. A lot
        of shops won't do black shirts...you might, however, look
        into having someone do an embroidered design (make it a
        smaller, pocket-sized design)...don't know how the 'cottage
        industry' movement is faring in your area, but I found
        about seven or eight places within an hour's drive of work
        that could do an embroidery run for under $10/shirt (plus
        $25 set-up)...I can get you an email address for the one I
        ended up using (did a marvelous job at a VERY economical
        price).

        =====
        Curtis Kidd

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/