elite civil war uniforms?

  • hobbitt_c <candi@housedraco.org>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
      My husband and I may be going to a civil war ball, and although I
      could make a traditional uniform, I was curious about the elite or
      different units. The Costume maniefesto has some information about
      Zouaves, are there any other uniforms for specialized units. I think
      the Rifle units had the green uniforms. Anything else?

      Candi Cabaniss
    • Terri Lee
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
        The "Tree Frogs" also known as the sharp shooters had
        green uniforms with black rubber buttons on them.
        However this was not considered a specialty unit, as
        it was regular Army.

        Some of the hometown regiments that were recruited by
        the town had really neat variations of the zouave
        uniforms.

        Uniforms fell into two catagories, one was regular
        army, the other was the zouave type uniform.

        There was a great many "elite" units out there, one of
        which is the infamous Iron brigade, who wore regular
        issue army uniforms. However if your looking for a
        uniform that is decked to the nines, look towards the
        NY & PA hometown regiments, or towards the areas that
        had concentrated amounts of people and money that
        could afford to recruit and send their own regimant.

        Terri

        --- "hobbitt_c <candi@...>"

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com