Re: Creating a giant costume

  • nanniemouse <nanniemouse@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "chyclovabazatlik
      <judys@n...>" <judys@n...> wrote:
      > I've been asked to create a costume of a giant (think Jack and the
      > Beanstalk) for a class of 1st graders. I have some ideas...build a
      > cross, mount a paper mache head on it and cover it with a tunic of
      > sorts, and when the child holds the bottom of the cross, the head
      is
      > 3 feet above him/her, for starters. I was wondering if there are
      any
      > other ideas out there to consider. I'd appreciate any input!
      THanks!

      Aah, something I know. In a puppetry class I took in college we made
      several large puppets like this. You might want to make what is
      basically a big rod puppet. Use light weight materials (plastic pipe
      might work well for the armature.)and make the rod reach the floor so
      the child can just hold it upright. A rubber "foot" on the bottom,
      like the bottom of a crutch, will make it easier to control. Holding
      it over their head would be excrutiating after a short time. If you
      make a robe like costume for the giant, the child can be inside
      completly hidden or if you want to, you can make a pair of loose pants
      to peek out from under the robe.

      Arms can be on rods or you can fake the arms by making a false arm
      that drops to the childs shoulder so they can put their whole arm in
      the bottom half of the sleeve. A hand on a rod can be dropped and the
      child can use both hands to carry his torso. Movement might be
      ristricted, but you can plan accordingly.

      A more complicated costume could be mounted on a pack fram, but that
      is stretching it for a first grade play. Someone I knew once suggested
      making a giant by putting the actor on a wheeled stool and putting
      them in a long robe to cover it. The arms were free to move and an
      actor in black would wheel the giant around the stage. I don't think
      they ever tried it but it was an idea. It might not be safe fo small
      children.

      I hope something in here is of use.

      Kathleen
    • chyclovabazatlik <judys@nwlink.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nanniemouse
        <nanniemouse@y...>" <nanniemouse@y...> wrote:
        > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "chyclovabazatlik
        > <judys@n...>" <judys@n...> wrote:
        > > I've been asked to create a costume of a giant (think Jack and
        the
        > > Beanstalk) for a class of 1st graders. I have some ideas...build
        > > cross, mount a paper mache head on it and cover it with a tunic
        of
        > > sorts, and when the child holds the bottom of the cross, the head
        > is
        > > 3 feet above him/her, for starters. I was wondering if there are
        > any
        > > other ideas out there to consider. I'd appreciate any input!
        > THanks!
        >
        > Aah, something I know. In a puppetry class I took in college we made
        > several large puppets like this. You might want to make what is
        > basically a big rod puppet. Use light weight materials (plastic
        pipe
        > might work well for the armature.)and make the rod reach the floor
        so
        > the child can just hold it upright. A rubber "foot" on the bottom,
        > like the bottom of a crutch, will make it easier to control. Holding
        > it over their head would be excrutiating after a short time. If you
        > make a robe like costume for the giant, the child can be inside
        > completly hidden or if you want to, you can make a pair of loose
        pants
        > to peek out from under the robe.
        >
        > Arms can be on rods or you can fake the arms by making a false arm
        > that drops to the childs shoulder so they can put their whole arm in
        > the bottom half of the sleeve. A hand on a rod can be dropped and
        the
        > child can use both hands to carry his torso. Movement might be
        > ristricted, but you can plan accordingly.
        >
        > A more complicated costume could be mounted on a pack fram, but that
        > is stretching it for a first grade play. Someone I knew once
        suggested
        > making a giant by putting the actor on a wheeled stool and putting
        > them in a long robe to cover it. The arms were free to move and an
        > actor in black would wheel the giant around the stage. I don't
        think
        > they ever tried it but it was an idea. It might not be safe fo
        small
        > children.
        >
        > I hope something in here is of use.
        >
        > Kathleen

        Thanks Kathleen, I didn't even think about how tired those little
        arms would get! Great idea.