Creating a giant costume

  • chyclovabazatlik <judys@nwlink.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2 10:34 AM
      I've been asked to create a costume of a giant (think Jack and the
      Beanstalk) for a class of 1st graders. I have some ideas...build a
      cross, mount a paper mache head on it and cover it with a tunic of
      sorts, and when the child holds the bottom of the cross, the head is
      3 feet above him/her, for starters. I was wondering if there are any
      other ideas out there to consider. I'd appreciate any input! THanks!
    • nanniemouse <nanniemouse@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3 5:33 PM
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "chyclovabazatlik
        <judys@n...>" <judys@n...> wrote:
        > I've been asked to create a costume of a giant (think Jack and the
        > Beanstalk) for a class of 1st graders. I have some ideas...build a
        > cross, mount a paper mache head on it and cover it with a tunic of
        > sorts, and when the child holds the bottom of the cross, the head
        is
        > 3 feet above him/her, for starters. I was wondering if there are
        any
        > other ideas out there to consider. I'd appreciate any input!
        THanks!

        Aah, something I know. In a puppetry class I took in college we made
        several large puppets like this. You might want to make what is
        basically a big rod puppet. Use light weight materials (plastic pipe
        might work well for the armature.)and make the rod reach the floor so
        the child can just hold it upright. A rubber "foot" on the bottom,
        like the bottom of a crutch, will make it easier to control. Holding
        it over their head would be excrutiating after a short time. If you
        make a robe like costume for the giant, the child can be inside
        completly hidden or if you want to, you can make a pair of loose pants
        to peek out from under the robe.

        Arms can be on rods or you can fake the arms by making a false arm
        that drops to the childs shoulder so they can put their whole arm in
        the bottom half of the sleeve. A hand on a rod can be dropped and the
        child can use both hands to carry his torso. Movement might be
        ristricted, but you can plan accordingly.

        A more complicated costume could be mounted on a pack fram, but that
        is stretching it for a first grade play. Someone I knew once suggested
        making a giant by putting the actor on a wheeled stool and putting
        them in a long robe to cover it. The arms were free to move and an
        actor in black would wheel the giant around the stage. I don't think
        they ever tried it but it was an idea. It might not be safe fo small
        children.

        I hope something in here is of use.

        Kathleen
      • chyclovabazatlik <judys@nwlink.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4 11:27 AM
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nanniemouse
          <nanniemouse@y...>" <nanniemouse@y...> wrote:
          > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "chyclovabazatlik
          > <judys@n...>" <judys@n...> wrote:
          > > I've been asked to create a costume of a giant (think Jack and
          the
          > > Beanstalk) for a class of 1st graders. I have some ideas...build
          > > cross, mount a paper mache head on it and cover it with a tunic
          of
          > > sorts, and when the child holds the bottom of the cross, the head
          > is
          > > 3 feet above him/her, for starters. I was wondering if there are
          > any
          > > other ideas out there to consider. I'd appreciate any input!
          > THanks!
          >
          > Aah, something I know. In a puppetry class I took in college we made
          > several large puppets like this. You might want to make what is
          > basically a big rod puppet. Use light weight materials (plastic
          pipe
          > might work well for the armature.)and make the rod reach the floor
          so
          > the child can just hold it upright. A rubber "foot" on the bottom,
          > like the bottom of a crutch, will make it easier to control. Holding
          > it over their head would be excrutiating after a short time. If you
          > make a robe like costume for the giant, the child can be inside
          > completly hidden or if you want to, you can make a pair of loose
          pants
          > to peek out from under the robe.
          >
          > Arms can be on rods or you can fake the arms by making a false arm
          > that drops to the childs shoulder so they can put their whole arm in
          > the bottom half of the sleeve. A hand on a rod can be dropped and
          the
          > child can use both hands to carry his torso. Movement might be
          > ristricted, but you can plan accordingly.
          >
          > A more complicated costume could be mounted on a pack fram, but that
          > is stretching it for a first grade play. Someone I knew once
          suggested
          > making a giant by putting the actor on a wheeled stool and putting
          > them in a long robe to cover it. The arms were free to move and an
          > actor in black would wheel the giant around the stage. I don't
          think
          > they ever tried it but it was an idea. It might not be safe fo
          small
          > children.
          >
          > I hope something in here is of use.
          >
          > Kathleen

          Thanks Kathleen, I didn't even think about how tired those little
          arms would get! Great idea.