RE: Petticoats?

  • Molly Dewane
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003
      Did you look in the Amazon Dry Goods catalog? I
      thought the prices were very reasonable. I love EBay
      for finding petticoats although that can be time
      consuming. Simplicity has two petticoat patterns that
      are easy to make and you can use old sheets for fabric
      (makes it very cheap if you go to a thrift store).
      Email me off list if you want the contact number for
      Amazon DryGoods-good luck! Molly www.mollydewane.netfirms.com

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Mr C G
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003
        What about calling thrift stores to see if they have
        any petticoats in their stores........making them is
        very expensive and time consuming.......the metal
        hooping and bias tape make it expensive. Or calling
        bridal salons to see if they will sell their old
        petticoats that are no longer useful? Just some
        thoughts.......hope it helps.
        Carl

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Contessa
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003
          Hi everyone,
          Its' been a while since I said hi.

          I have a friend who wants to make a costume
          like a japanese priest costume. Shinto Shikifuku.
          Thanks

          Also she wants to make some costumes from
          anime. Does anyone have an idea where i
          could find a pattern? or would I just
          have to make one myself?

          If you need a picture, just let me know, I can email
          you one.

          Thanks in advance
          Contessa
        • peggy salvail
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003
            Your right about making them, we have in the past. no
            time and we lost our seamstress who liked to do them.
            these are not hooped slips so not so bad but still...
            ty for the bridal shop idea will let my friend know.
            We do have a budjet to buy them and use them for
            years. Our production is celebrating it's 80th season.
            I have been a seamstress for them for 13 years.
            www.ramonapageant.com take care Peggy

            --- Mr C G <cmg10075@...> wrote:

            > What about calling thrift stores to see if they have
            > any petticoats in their stores........making them is
            > very expensive and time consuming.......the metal
            > hooping and bias tape make it expensive. Or calling
            > bridal salons to see if they will sell their old
            > petticoats that are no longer useful? Just some
            > thoughts.......hope it helps.
            > Carl

            > now.
            > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Terri Lee
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003
              Petticoats....

              When our re-enactment group was formed we put an add
              in the local paper requesting them. A great many
              people have them and have no clue what to do with
              them.

              We went to the newspaper and took out a basic add for
              2 weeks. By the end of the first week we had so many
              of them we pulled the add for the second week, and we
              were still getting them in by the dozens.

              A friend of mine and I had 76 hoops slips, in varing
              degrees of shape, 2 bustle forms, and more than 40 net
              petticoats. All total we spent less than 50.00 and
              found most people were simply happy just to get rid of
              them.

              We then took them and made new hoops, or used them to
              repair some of the ones that were damaged. And we cut
              apart the net ones and reused the netting in other
              projects and I still have 4 or 5 bags of net flounces
              in my attic.

              Terri

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Sheila Martinez
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003

                Peggy, just a thought.  Depending on how many you will want, someone...maybe the bridal store ...might be willing to buy them wholesale for you and mark them up maybe 10-20%...or maybe not at all....just pay the shipping.  If you lived in my town, I would most definitely help you.  Where are the "friends of the theatre" when you need them?  Is there a reason you can not buy them wholesale?  sheila in Texas

                 peggy salvail <psalvail@...> wrote:

                ty for the bridal shop idea will let my friend know.
                We do have a budjet to buy them and use them for
                years. Our production is celebrating it's 80th season.
                I have been a seamstress for them for 13 years.
                www.ramonapageant.com take care  Peggy

                > Do you Yahoo!?
                > now.
                > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

              • Diana Kolbe
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                  Contessa wrote:

                  > Hi everyone,
                  > Its' been a while since I said hi.
                  >
                  > I have a friend who wants to make a costume
                  > like a japanese priest costume. Shinto Shikifuku.
                  > Thanks

                  There are several things that could refer to; someone already covered
                  one (which I believe is more a Buddhist style than), I'll try to address
                  another, which is more stereotypical of modern shinto. This outfit has
                  two outer pieces: top (kimono) and wide pants (hakama). The
                  kimono-style top is white and has loose sleeves (but not long dangling
                  ones like fancy kimono). It is also shorter, extending to mid or low
                  thigh, I think - not full length, certainly. The hakama are long and
                  very loose, with pleats in the front and partially open at the side, and
                  often look like a skirt. (Some women now have a skirt instead, but with
                  a similar cut and appearance.) Red for women, light blue for men, if I
                  recall. Commercial patterns do exist:
                  http://www.sewingcentral.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=ccj01m.html&cart_id=9767850_19348

                  I found these websites helpful when I was making my own (without a pattern):
                  http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/hakamapattern.html
                  http://luxnova.home.mindspring.com/samuraigame/hakama.html

                  > Also she wants to make some costumes from
                  > anime. Does anyone have an idea where i
                  > could find a pattern? or would I just
                  > have to make one myself?

                  That depends largely on which costume it is! Certainly, there are very
                  few real 'patterns for costumes from anime', but you can always adapt
                  things. For example, most schoolgirl outfits are just a pleated skirt
                  (easy to find) and a sailor-style blouse (somewhat harder to find, but
                  they exist). BTW, this is called 'cosplay', and there a lot of online
                  resources available. I would definitely find out what she's looking for
                  before you make a commitment - some anime costumes are easy, while
                  others can be extremely technically difficult to do well.

                  > If you need a picture, just let me know, I can email
                  > you one.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance
                  > Contessa

                  Diana
                • peggy salvail
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                    I don't no we have always made them till this year.
                    We are just looing into it Production in in April so
                    we have a bit of time. I am in AZ but the production
                    is in Southen CA.Take care and ty for the ideas Peggy

                    --- Sheila Martinez <willistreet@...> wrote:

                    > Peggy, just a thought. Depending on how many you
                    > will want, someone...maybe the bridal store ...might
                    > be willing to buy them wholesale for you and mark
                    > them up maybe 10-20%...or maybe not at all....just
                    > pay the shipping. If you lived in my town, I would
                    > most definitely help you. Where are the "friends of
                    > the theatre" when you need them? Is there a reason
                    > you can not buy them wholesale? sheila in Texas
                    > peggy salvail <psalvail@...> wrote:...
                    > ty for the bridal shop idea will let my friend know.
                    >
                    > We do have a budjet to buy them and use them for
                    > years. Our production is celebrating it's 80th
                    > season.
                    > I have been a seamstress for them for 13 years.
                    > www.ramonapageant.com take care Peggy
                    >

                    > > Do you Yahoo!?
                    > > now.
                    > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                    > Terms of Service.

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • peggy salvail
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                      What a great idea. ty so much Terri. Also since the
                      Production is a community production some may have old
                      costumes they could donate too, maybe we will get back
                      some of the old costumes we are missing. Worth a try
                      take care Peggy

                      --- Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@...> wrote:

                      > Petticoats....
                      >
                      > When our re-enactment group was formed we put an add
                      > in the local paper requesting them. A great many
                      > people have them and have no clue what to do with
                      > them.
                      >
                      > We went to the newspaper and took out a basic add
                      > for
                      > 2 weeks. By the end of the first week we had so many
                      > of them we pulled the add for the second week, and
                      > we
                      > were still getting them in by the dozens.
                      >
                      > A friend of mine and I had 76 hoops slips, in varing
                      > degrees of shape, 2 bustle forms, and more than 40
                      > net
                      > petticoats. All total we spent less than 50.00 and
                      > found most people were simply happy just to get rid
                      > of
                      > them.
                      >
                      > We then took them and made new hoops, or used them
                      > repair some of the ones that were damaged. And we
                      > cut
                      > apart the net ones and reused the netting in other
                      > projects and I still have 4 or 5 bags of net
                      > flounces
                      > in my attic.
                      >
                      > Terri

                      > now.
                      > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Contessa
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
                        Ah~! This is it~! But it is rather difficult to find the traditional
                        pattern, which I have heard, requires about 10 feet of material. :: cough ::

                        my friend wants to make some costumes from anime. Does anyone have an idea
                        where i
                        could find a pattern? or would I just have to make one myself?

                        The costume I was thinking about is Eriol Hiirawazaki in his robes ( black
                        and blue or red. ) The costume in not too complex...but...

                      • vonceia <vonceia@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
                          Curious.. which anime is this from?

                          Von
                        • Contessa
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
                            The hakama are needed for Hokuto Sumeragi of X and Tokyo Babylon... The
                            other is Card Captor Sakura.

                            Curious.. which anime is this from?

                            Von

                          • Laura O
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003

                              Dear Contessa,

                              This past summer I had a long and intimate relationship with Vash the Stampeed from the Trigun Anime Series.  It was going to be my boyfriends halloween costume and I'm very glad that I started that early.  So I have a little experience with the costumes.  If you ever get a chance to look at his coat, you'd realize what I did, that I was never going to find a pattern like that.  What worked out really well for me was finding a pattern with similar features and modifying it to fit your requirements.  For the Vash coat, I used a windbreaker pattern that had the two important features of the jacket, a stand up collar and a button plaquet.  I'm not familar with the anime you mentioned, I'd love to see a picture and maybe I could offer you a little more advice.  Hope everthing works out for you!

                              Laura O.

                               Contessa <contessa@...> wrote:

                              Ah~! This is it~! But it is rather difficult to find the traditional
                              pattern, which I have heard, requires about 10 feet of material. :: cough ::

                              my friend wants to make some costumes from anime.  Does anyone have an idea
                              where i
                              could  find a pattern? or would I just have to make one myself?

                              The costume I was thinking about is Eriol Hiirawazaki in his robes ( black
                              and blue or red. ) The costume in not too complex...but...

                              If you  need a picture, just let me know, I can email
                              you one.

                              Thanks in advance
                              Contessa

                              "The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."

                            • Lisa
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
                                Message
                                Hi Contessa! :)  My sister does anime cos-play... and makes her own costumes, occasionally begging me for minor assistance... I believe what she does is she either makes her own patterns, or she mixes and matches pieces from regular patterns (simplicity, mcalls, etc...)... which is what I'll be doing for the costume I'm working on at the moment... :)
                                I hope this helps! :)

                                Lisa H.

                                LVN needs chinese food po & bubble bath at least q2d or prn c TLC...