Fabric guessing

  • Artemis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2003
      Anyone like to take a guess as to what the fabric is in Ashley Judd's
      dress here (from the movie Frida)?

      http://www.geocities.com/ashleyjuddonline/photos/movies/frida.html

      I'm making (in a week, ak!) a variant on this beauty for a murder
      mystery party with this pattern:

      http://www.5rivers.org/media/fw264.gif (folkwear's monte carlo dress)

      --
      When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

      ~Hunter Thompson
    • Donna Barnes-Haesemeyer <barneshaesemeye
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2003
        What fabric? LOL! Hard to tell what the fabric is; I thought it might
        be rayon, but it is sheer. It would be easier to tell with a larger
        photo. I love your pattern! I assume you are using the view with the
        thin straps and bias cut skirt. Silk charmeuse would be gorgeous, but
        if you're trying to economize, a sueded rayon would drape well, too.

        Have fun!

        Donna
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Artemis
        <lovelyshrike@b...> wrote:
        > Anyone like to take a guess as to what the fabric is in Ashley
        Judd's
        > dress here (from the movie Frida)?
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/ashleyjuddonline/photos/movies/frida.html
        >
        > I'm making (in a week, ak!) a variant on this beauty for a murder
        > mystery party with this pattern:
        >
        > http://www.5rivers.org/media/fw264.gif (folkwear's monte carlo
        dress)

        > --
        > When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
        >
        > ~Hunter Thompson
      • Sheila Martinez

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2003
            Message: 2
            Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:45:37 -0000
            From: "Donna Barnes-Haesemeyer <barneshaesemeyer@...>"
            <barneshaesemeyer@...>
            Subject: Re: Fabric guessing

            What fabric? LOL! Hard to tell what the fabric is; I thought it might
            be rayon, but it is sheer. It would be easier to tell with a larger
            photo. I love your pattern! I assume you are using the view with the
            thin straps and bias cut skirt. Silk charmeuse would be gorgeous, but
            if you're trying to economize, a sueded rayon would drape well, too.

            The big problem is finding those pictures. These are the best so far,
            but I haven't looked at a source book yet, just on the net. The focus
            of the story and thus the pictures tend to be Frida aka Selma Hyak (sp?).

            You guessed right on the pattern. It came today (overnight shipping,
            ouch!). I'm having a hard time finding any kind of fabric I like. I
            live in Tallahassee, FL, USA and the selection is atrocious. Silk would
            be great...., if I could find it. :P Even velvet is in short supply
            here. And of course I want a color no one seems to have... deep blue.

            Wish me luck! It has to be done by next Sat., so if it comes out well
            I'll post pics.

            Tara