  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2003
      > From: "jackiekeizer <jackiekeizer@...>"
      > <jackiekeizer@...>
      > Subject: Re: A little help?
      >
      > I'm all for shopping on-line - I do a lot of it - but
      > have you actually
      > gone in any of the fabric stores you called to look for
      > the heavy duty
      > hook and eyes?

      Yep...that was the first of several steps I took in
      beginning this whole process (shopping online was actually
      the second-to-last option...the last option was actually
      tracking down my old costuming professor and asking her
      where she bought stuff like this)

      > On the other hand, the S & S site was cool and did have
      > clear elastic
      > that I haven't been able to find anywhere in town ;->

      Ironically, almost every fabric store in this area carries
      that clear elastic...;)

      > Hope I'm not coming across as rude, I don't mean to be.
      > I think sales
      > people don't always get what you're asking for and these
      > are both
      > common items in sewing sections.

      No, I wouldn't call it rude. When I started phoning around
      to regional fabric stores looking for these things, I often
      spent as long as four or five minutes trying to clarify to
      the person on the other end of the phone just what I was
      looking for. They invariably thought I was talking about
      skirt hooks...until they said, "Do you mean skirt hooks?"
      and I explained that I was looking for something heavier.
      Nobody had anything heavier (which absolutely amazed me).
      I'm sure I didn't look EVERYWHERE in the region (I have
      heard people I've worked with in the past mention stores
      that I'd never heard of before, and I can't recall their
      names now to try and track them down)...it just got to the
      point where it was more time-effective to start asking for
      outside help. Besides, since I'm looking at buying a lot
      of these things in bulk quantities (we're finally upgrading
      our wardrobe department from maintenance only to some
      actual costume construction), I know I'll be able to get
      them more economically from some of these larger places,
      even if the local stores do carry them.

      Thanks again, everyone, for your assistance!

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com