Google Eyes

  • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2000
      I don't know, but I'm going to post this to my eGroup in case someone else
      knows.

      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
      Theatre UAF/The University of Alaska Fairbanks

      Come see one of the web's largest costume sites
      "The Costumer's Manifesto" at http://www.costumes.org
      More costume site than you can surf in a day.

      See also http://moviefans.to/MenWithBigHair (The Costume Movie Site)
      and http://visit.to/TheCostumeShop (The UAF Costume Department Online)
    • Manxminx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2000
        You might try Michael's Craft Store. I believe I have seen them there in the
        past. Also with Halloween coming soon, the seasonal Halloween store carry's
        unusual things like that. Best of luck.
        Manxminx
      • linda craft
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2000
          If I remember right, Kermit's original eyes were made
          of ping pong balls. (I read this in an artical on Jim
          Hensen) If all else fails you might be able to make
          Cookie monsters eyes out of those. goog luck
          linda
          <Tara@...> wrote:
          > I don't know, but I'm going to post this to my
          > eGroup in case someone else
          > knows.
          >
          > Ed Johnson wrote:
          >
          > > I am creating a "Cookie Monster" costume for
          > Halloween. I am having trouble
          > > finding a pair of eyes like the originals which
          > are spherical and "googly".
          > > Do you have any ideas where I could locate such a
          > pair of large white,
          > > googly eyes?
          > >
          > > Ed Johnson

          > > Name: winmail.dat
          > > winmail.dat Type: application/ms-tnef
          > > Encoding: base64
          >
          > --
          > ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate
          > Professor
          > Theatre UAF/The University of Alaska Fairbanks
          >
          > Come see one of the web's largest costume sites
          > "The Costumer's Manifesto" at
          > http://www.costumes.org
          > More costume site than you can surf in a day.
          >
          > See also http://moviefans.to/MenWithBigHair (The
          > Costume Movie Site)
          > and http://visit.to/TheCostumeShop (The UAF Costume
          > Department Online)

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Sarah P
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2000
            I don't know much about googly-eyes, but here's what I'd do if I were making
            them.

            I know most muppet eyes are made of ping-pong balls cut in half or 3/4,
            sliced straight across. If 3/4, it would look like a bowl instead of a pie.
            A Cookie-Monster google-eye moves, so I'd take the top section of the
            cut-away ping-pong (the side you're not using) and trim it down to the size
            of an eyeball, making sure it fits sort of smoothly over the surface of the
            main eye, file the edges smooth, then paint the eyeball black. I'd put a
            pin-sized hole in the center of both and would then attach the two with
            fishing line, tying a knot in the end on the outside so the eyeball wouldn't
            fall off and leaving just enough slack to let it "google" around. Then I'd
            tie the other end to either a toothpick cut and glued into the inside of the
            eye or thread it through another hole pinned through the edge of the main
            eye, where the knot can be hidden in the fur. The knot on the eyeball would
            also get blackened, or not, if it doesn't show. At least, that's what I
            would do for a googly-eye. It makes sense to me, but then, I haven't made
            one either.

            Wal-Mart or K-Mart's sporting goods dept. would have ping-pong balls. I
            don't know if they come in different sizes or not. You might also try
            whiffle balls which are larger and white and have a similar texture to a
            ping-pong ball. Just get some that are solid on one side, without holes all
            over. Good luck with your Cookie-Monster! (He was one of my favorite
            characters on Sesame Street when I was little.)

            ****Raven

            ^_^

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • rermisch
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2000
              Hi!
              The only problem with the ping pong idea is that Kermit is a small
              puppet and Cookie monster is more people-life size. The balls would have to
              be much larger. Bigger than a baseball but smaller than a soccer ball too.
              When I made mine years ago. I took thick foam, approximately 6" wide
              wittled it done to half spheres and covered the result with a stretchable
              fabric and then just painted on the black part of the eye. I used
              fingernail scissors to cut small parts of the foam toward the end because
              you are basically sculpting the foam and to get a smoother look you need to
              finish cutting tiny pieces off . I know tis is not google eyes but I could
              not do them in the time alloted me then. The foam sculpting is the way most
              of the muppet heads have been done. I had a friend who worked on some of
              them for their traviling show years ago and he showed us the pictures of the
              progresive sculpting being done. Hope this is some help.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2000
                Like I said in my earlier message: if ping-pong balls are too small, go
                with as large a size whiffle-ball as you can find that doesn't have holes
                except on one side and cut as close to the beginning of the row of holes as
                possible to retain as much "eye" as you can. Then there's always
                Thermoplastic. Form it over something spherical that can take a lot of
                heat--like a ball of clay, like what potters use for making clay pots. A
                bag of potter's clay, some Thermoplastic, and a heat-gun, heavy-weight
                fishing line, black and white paint et voila! Friendly Plastic would work
                too, only with hot water instead of heat-gun. But where can you find
                Friendly Plastic in good-sized sheets? I'm looking for Friendly Plastic,
                but can't find it anywhere nearby. I've heard that a company by the name of
                "Unnatural Resources", or something like that, sells Thermoplastic and other
                plastics and unusual materials. Might look there.

                ----Raven

              • Liz Martin
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 13, 2000
                  How about the clear semi-round ball things that come in the big gumball
                  machines that hold spiders, stickers, plastic junk jewelry and the like.
                  Those you could even make in to googly eyes by putting a piece of heavy paper
                  about 2/3 of the way in the circle and dropping in a black disc. Ialso think
                  that eyes that are the size of baseballs might be a little out of proportion,
                  unless the human under them is very large & tall! Good luck.