Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: LOOKING FOR MA in COSTUME DESIGN

  • Sylvia
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2001
      on 5/8/01 12:59 PM, ekaryna@... at ekaryna@... wrote:

      > thank you for replying!
      >
      > Can i ask you some questions? What is it that placed you in
      > Theater?
      > does FIT offer costume program that is respected?
      > The reason I want to develop the costume side of things is that I
      > want to learn more of the technical construction of pieces.
      > What does MFA mean (mite be a silly question we dont have that
      > up in canada)
      > You can only get a BA up here.

      An MFA is a Master of Fine Arts. I have studied both fashion and costume
      design. Got my MFA in costume Design from Calif. Institute of the Arts in
      Valencia, CA. I also studied fashion design for one year at FIDM in Los
      Angeles. I dont know anything about FIT other than I thought it was a
      fashion school. Have they added costuming to their curriculum?

      I love costume design for the stage, which is why I went into it. I also
      worked in the garment industry in LA for a couple years as a patternmaker.
      I wouldnt recommend a fashion school unless you want to be in the garment
      industry. I'm not sure exactly what you want to learn. If it is costume
      patterning and construction, I would recommend a theatre dept with an MFA,
      although I learned most of my patterning at FIDM. I have been sewing and
      working in theatre most of my life and picked up stuff I know from every
      place I worked.

      And what exactly do you want to do ultimately? Design costumes for films,
      theatre and tv? Design clothing for the garment industry? Or are you more
      interested in the construction aspects? There's a lot of work out there for
      people who can make patterns and sew costumes. I think you really need to
      determine that first. Otherwise you could make some unwise decisions and
      waste a lot of time.

      Sylvia

    • ekaryna@yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2001
        Sylvia,
        Well that is the thing. I originally studied Fashion design to just
        learn more than i already knew. Like yourself I have been sewing
        since I could push the pedal on the sewing machine.

        To get personal I have always worked w/clothes in one manner
        or another as it is the one thing I know.

        I have worked in many of the jobs; buying, production manager,
        designer, fashion design teacher, fashion writer, stylist...the list
        goes on. I even tried starting my own line....that I know is not for
        me.

        Now as i am getting closer to turning 30(a few years). I feel i
        need to find a field that I can spend some serious time exploring.
        I fell into wardrobe by chance. I had come home to my home
        town and decided to pass the time by volunteering w/a local tv
        show....and i got hooked on the energy on the set.

        The one thing i can tell is that from all the jobs I loved; doing
        10things at once and keeping calm, delegating and organizing,
        making deals for better priced materials, making contacts for
        sourcing, when the work environment is always changing and
        never ever gets like a routine, working w/a team and mostly
        making things look good. Designing a look. Designing the
        costumes, making the costumes working on a tight budget and
        a tighter deadline.

        THat is what i enjoy. Now where to apply that, I have still to
        decide.
        While working for your MFA did you receive courses in "costume"
        construction?
        I know pattern making and draping, but I feel that there is more I
        need to learn in terms of techniques. The MFA's in costume i can
        receive here, would just let me do my own thing w/out providing
        Instruction in Construction.

        I know my textiles, pattern making. mmmmmm maybe i should
        work in theater and that is where i will pick up how to construct a
        bustier! :):
        thx.
      • Sylvia
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2001
          on 5/11/01 3:07 PM, ekaryna@... at ekaryna@... wrote:

          > THat is what i enjoy. Now where to apply that, I have still to
          > decide.
          > While working for your MFA did you receive courses in "costume"
          > construction?

          Yes indeed. I cant imagine an MFA program that didnt teach you anything!
          And there are institutions that now give MFAs in technical theatre and
          costume construction, not design. Sounds like that's what you need. I dont
          personally know which ones these are here in the US, but it cant be hard to
          find out. Maybe someone else on this list knows.

          > I know pattern making and draping, but I feel that there is more I
          > need to learn in terms of techniques. The MFA's in costume i can
          > receive here, would just let me do my own thing w/out providing
          > Instruction in Construction.
          >
          > I know my textiles, pattern making. mmmmmm maybe i should
          > work in theater and that is where i will pick up how to construct a
          > bustier! :):

          I learned how to make a corset as part of my MFA instruction.

          Sylvia
          > thx.

        • Sarah P
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2001

            If it is costume construction and patternmaking you are interested in most, then look to schools that have MFA's in Costume Production.  I know that the University of Mississippi has such a program, and I think there's a university in Boston, MA that has such a program with design as well.  A friend of mine is taking her MFA there and is doing both, although either/or can be done.