RE: real meaning of CV

  • fftmm1
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2002
      The latin origins of CV described in earlier posts are correct, however there
      is another unspoken distinction that CV stands for in academia.

      Resume=1 to 2 pages of career highlights you use to get non-academic jobs, or
      hand out at conferences.

      CV=4 to 14 pages listing anything you ever did since you graduated from HS
      that you use to get tenure, get a tenure-track academic job, or staple to your
      annual report to the administration of your university. In other words you
      leave almost NOTHING out, and may even put in explanations of what obscure
      things mean so a person who knows nothing of your work can understand what you
      do well enough to write their own reports about the annual accomplishments of
      the university faculty.

      My resume is 1 page, my CV is 14 pages.