On sewing, poetry, and bad limericks

  • castalusoria@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2002
      A friend of mine has a "poetry slam" every year for her birthday; her boyfriend solicits the entries. He leads off with a sample, and sets the bar pretty low, e.g., "I think that I shall never see, a poem with leaves and bark like a tree, etc." with apologies to Joyce Wilmer. Some folks write actual *poetry.* I have few skills in that area, and this year's entry was dashed off in about five minutes... but it was well-received nonetheless, and I was asked to share; thus said, here it is for your amusement:

      *A Paean to the Last-Minute Costume Project*

      There once was a mad chick from Boston
      Said, "New togs by tomorrow? No problem!"
      Plunged she right in, 'till she stuck with a pin
      Her thumb, which then bled 'till t'was costin'.

      It pained her and she did forswear it,
      She cried that she just couldn't bear it,
      'Till a Band-Aid she found, and she kicked at the ground,
      And said, "Damn me, now I'll have to wear it!"

      She searched 'till she found a new needle
      And uncurled from her position fetal
      Threading the eye, then fabric did fly;
      Her efforts could not be called feeble.

      She snipped and she stitched and she panicked,
      The game soon to start, she was manic;
      The dress, it got done, but it hardly was fun,
      The curses she muttered, satanic.

      A moral, this tale there but be--
      That mad chick, you see, I was she!
      When worse comes to worst, I guess it's a curse:
      To bleed on the fabric, you see...

      (A minor footnote to this tale:
      Blood shows on fabric that's pale.
      You think there's a reason t'wear black out of season?
      One shan't ever leave them a trail...!)

      ~ Kate Bunting, c.2002