Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Medieval underwear?

  • Rebecca J. J.
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
      Hi! I'm new. :)

      >If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.

      Thank you! I would love more information. I also have read that they did not
      wear underwear. In fact, one book I read, written probably in the 60's, said
      that the fact that women would occasionally have their skirts fly up over
      their heads if they fell off a horse, or such, and that it would reveal
      their bare ends was a subject of crude jokes in the 13th century.

      I've also heard of other cultures did not wear underwear. But knowing the
      female body, this makes very little sense to me.

      Any additional information you have would be wonderful.

      Rebecca J. J.
    • sheila widmaier
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
        > Subject: Re: Medieval underwear?
        > moderately> > > endowed in the bust and needs
        something there. > She> > wants a> > > corset of some
        type, and though I can make a> basic one,> > she
        > > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone
        > else have> > any> > > suggestions? (going commando
        under her bridal> > gown...she's> > > gonna love that
        one...)> > > -Jessie

        > > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic,
        > since> > corsets werent worn> > until the
        Renaissance. How about she just wears a> > seamless
        bra, ie,> > something that shows as little as
        possible?

        > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

        Not that we know of. Although the men did wear
        Chausses And Braies. I believe the current
        scholarly thought is that women would wear a very
        fitted under-dress, and some kind of leg-wraps.

        http://www.provide.net/~randyaf/Chausses.Braiesdocs.html

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/