Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Medieval underwear?

  • Juliana T
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
      > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

      No, no, no, no, no -- this is a misconception. Medieval people DID wear
      underwear, as we modernly understand the term.

      It varies from place to place, and century to century, but it certainly was
      a staple of Medieval clothing.

      The time period we call the Middle Ages spans 1,000 yrs - it is a historical
      injustice to make generalizations about so long and dynamic a time period.

      In a good deal of the early and high Middle Ages, men wore what we might
      consider bikin style pantis, and women wore what we might think of as
      boxers. There are various types of wraps 'diaper style' evident for men, as
      well. Women's underwear was more often than nott, loose.

      If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.
      :)

      Juliana

      "Embroider, embellish, bejewel!" - Simona Vasari
      ...ubi sunt ones mei?..

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
    • Rebecca J. J.
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
        Hi! I'm new. :)

        >If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.

        Thank you! I would love more information. I also have read that they did not
        wear underwear. In fact, one book I read, written probably in the 60's, said
        that the fact that women would occasionally have their skirts fly up over
        their heads if they fell off a horse, or such, and that it would reveal
        their bare ends was a subject of crude jokes in the 13th century.

        I've also heard of other cultures did not wear underwear. But knowing the
        female body, this makes very little sense to me.

        Any additional information you have would be wonderful.

        Rebecca J. J.
      • sheila widmaier
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
          > Subject: Re: Medieval underwear?
          > moderately> > > endowed in the bust and needs
          something there. > She> > wants a> > > corset of some
          type, and though I can make a> basic one,> > she
          > > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone
          > else have> > any> > > suggestions? (going commando
          under her bridal> > gown...she's> > > gonna love that
          one...)> > > -Jessie

          > > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic,
          > since> > corsets werent worn> > until the
          Renaissance. How about she just wears a> > seamless
          bra, ie,> > something that shows as little as
          possible?

          > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

          Not that we know of. Although the men did wear
          Chausses And Braies. I believe the current
          scholarly thought is that women would wear a very
          fitted under-dress, and some kind of leg-wraps.

          http://www.provide.net/~randyaf/Chausses.Braiesdocs.html

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/