Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Medieval underwear?

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 11 1:52 PM
      > > Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
      > > endowed in the bust and needs something there. She
      > wants a
      > > corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one,
      > she
      > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have
      > any
      > > suggestions? (going commando under her bridal
      > gown...she's
      > > gonna love that one...)
      > > -Jessie
      >
      > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic, since
      > corsets werent worn
      > until the Renaissance. How about she just wears a
      > seamless bra, ie,
      > something that shows as little as possible?

      They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

      =====
      - - - - - - - - - -

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Juliana T
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 12 12:29 PM
        > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

        No, no, no, no, no -- this is a misconception. Medieval people DID wear
        underwear, as we modernly understand the term.

        It varies from place to place, and century to century, but it certainly was
        a staple of Medieval clothing.

        The time period we call the Middle Ages spans 1,000 yrs - it is a historical
        injustice to make generalizations about so long and dynamic a time period.

        In a good deal of the early and high Middle Ages, men wore what we might
        consider bikin style pantis, and women wore what we might think of as
        boxers. There are various types of wraps 'diaper style' evident for men, as
        well. Women's underwear was more often than nott, loose.

        If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.
        :)

        Juliana

        "Embroider, embellish, bejewel!" - Simona Vasari
        ...ubi sunt ones mei?..

        Send a cool gift with your E-Card
        http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
      • Rebecca J. J.
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 12 2:32 PM
          Hi! I'm new. :)

          >If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.

          Thank you! I would love more information. I also have read that they did not
          wear underwear. In fact, one book I read, written probably in the 60's, said
          that the fact that women would occasionally have their skirts fly up over
          their heads if they fell off a horse, or such, and that it would reveal
          their bare ends was a subject of crude jokes in the 13th century.

          I've also heard of other cultures did not wear underwear. But knowing the
          female body, this makes very little sense to me.

          Any additional information you have would be wonderful.

          Rebecca J. J.
        • sheila widmaier
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 12 6:26 PM
            > Subject: Re: Medieval underwear?
            > moderately> > > endowed in the bust and needs
            something there. > She> > wants a> > > corset of some
            type, and though I can make a> basic one,> > she
            > > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone
            > else have> > any> > > suggestions? (going commando
            under her bridal> > gown...she's> > > gonna love that
            one...)> > > -Jessie

            > > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic,
            > since> > corsets werent worn> > until the
            Renaissance. How about she just wears a> > seamless
            bra, ie,> > something that shows as little as
            possible?

            > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

            Not that we know of. Although the men did wear
            Chausses And Braies. I believe the current
            scholarly thought is that women would wear a very
            fitted under-dress, and some kind of leg-wraps.

            http://www.provide.net/~randyaf/Chausses.Braiesdocs.html

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/