Re: 1903 Fashions

  • iom315 <dldnmb@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002
      Hi Terri,

      I do costume design for Mardi Gras and get a lot of information on
      period costumes from Tom Tierney's paper dolls. The illustrations
      are very good and there is a brief description of each plate.

      In looking through my collection I think you might find his
      "Great Fashion Designs of the Belle Epoque" helpful. Since the time
      frame for these illustrations are from 1890-1919 you can get a feel
      for how fashion was evolving. These are Haute Couture gowns so it
      would take a bit of time before the designs would be available to the
      average lady especially if she were from a smaller town.

      Hope this is helpful. If you can't find a copy of "Belle Epoque" let
      me know and I will email some of the illustrations to you.

      D.L. Dixon
      Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.
      email: IOM315@...
    • Terri Lee
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002
        Hi-
        I agree Tom Tierney's paper doll books rock! I have
        each and every last one he has done that relates to
        the Civil War era. They are awesome, and line drawings
        are so much easier to follow vs the old grey and
        cloudy CDV's.I will be looking to see if I can locate
        the book you mention.

        My problem is while I know the basic peramiters of
        fashion of how it evolved through the early 1800's and
        into the Civil War, during the Civil War, and post war
        years up to about the turn of the century. All I know
        is the "basic" peramiters.

        After the turn of the century fashion really seems to
        do a flip flop and starts to expand. This time frame
        seems to be a transition period between the simple
        line and shorter elegant trains to the sleek lines and
        no train. There is such a vast differance in the look
        of this time I am unsure what would be correct, or
        what style best suits this function.

        While I do have a general idea as to what would have
        been worn in this era, there is nothing that actually
        pin points it. I guess I am looking for the defenitive
        line that seperates this time frame and I am not
        finding it.

        Civil War Fashion, was dropped shoulder, fitted
        bodices, piped seams, and hoop skirts.
        From here the fashion went into the train, which
        evolved into to the bustle of various sizes shapes,
        heights etc.

        At this point I am very confused as to what exactly
        was worn and what would have been appropriate for this
        function.
        Thanks much-
        Terri

        > In looking through my collection I think you might
        > find his
        > "Great Fashion Designs of the Belle Epoque" helpful.
        > Since the time
        > frame for these illustrations are from 1890-1919 you
        > can get a feel
        > for how fashion was evolving. These are Haute
        > Couture gowns so it
        > would take a bit of time before the designs would be
        > available to the
        > average lady especially if she were from a smaller
        > town.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Paquerette
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002
          peggy salvail wrote:

          > Terri:
          > take a look at www.pastpatterns.com they have lots
          > of patterns for what your looking for. Be warned this
          > is the era of the "S" corset and it will kill your
          > back. So says my daughters teacher who is a Costume
          > Designer for the Movies. She made the costume for
          > Stuart Little that he wore in the movie. Good luck
          >

          > > Hello,
          > > I normally do Civil War clothing so this one is out of my leauge.
          > > We were just invited to a re-enactment encampment
          > > dipicting the historic reunion of Civil War veterans that was held in 1903.

          > > Does anyone know of a good source of information for
          > > this time frame? Any good patterns?
          > > thanks much-
          > > Terri

          You might try this site for some basic info:
          http://www.fashion-era.com/edwardian_corsetry.htm
          It seems like the S corset is only a problem if you go in for
          tightlacing. Just for shaping shouldn't be too uncomfortable.

          Simplicity has some "Edwardian-ish" patterns, but I have also been
          looking for some authentic stuff and unable to find quite what I want.
          I've been wondering if Godey's Ladies Book was still in existence then,
          and if there are archives of it published or anything. Or maybe a
          similar book. But I have too many other projects to finish to start
          looking now! I wish I could.

          Good luck!
          Jeni.
        • NewspaperAnnie <newspaperannie@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002
            > While I do have a general idea as to what would have
            > been worn in this era, there is nothing that actually
            > pin points it. I guess I am looking for the defenitive
            > line that seperates this time frame and I am not
            > finding it.

            Try the Gibson Girl look for day wear. Dark skirt, white shirtwaist,
            straw boater. Skirts would still be fairly full (as compared to
            Titanic-era skirts), but without the use of hoops.

            http://www.sensibility.com/vintageimages/index.htm has a lot of
            vintage images, which should help you get an idea.

            Rachel
          • traceyln01 <traceyln@tpg.com.au>
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
              HI,

              Im a new member and a student studying fashion & all things
              associated ( I know broad range) in Perth, Australia.

              firstly I love the site and stumbled on it whilst researching Persian
              costumes at the turn of the century.

              Im also interested in this era in general and would be interested in
              more info on these paper doll books etc. are they current issues, or
              old stuff out of print?

              I too would be interested in getting a copy of these illustrations
              without sounding too pushy on a first post to the group.

              thanks

              Tracey

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "iom315 <dldnmb@a...>"
              <dldnmb@a...> wrote:
              > Hi Terri,
              >
              > I do costume design for Mardi Gras and get a lot of information on
              > period costumes from Tom Tierney's paper dolls. The illustrations
              > are very good and there is a brief description of each plate.
              >
              > In looking through my collection I think you might find his
              > "Great Fashion Designs of the Belle Epoque" helpful. Since the
              time
              > frame for these illustrations are from 1890-1919 you can get a feel
              > for how fashion was evolving. These are Haute Couture gowns so it
              > would take a bit of time before the designs would be available to
              the
              > average lady especially if she were from a smaller town.
              >
              > Hope this is helpful. If you can't find a copy of "Belle Epoque"
              let
              > me know and I will email some of the illustrations to you.
              >
              > D.L. Dixon
              > Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.
              > email: IOM315@a...
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002

                > You might try this site for some basic info:
                > http://www.fashion-era.com/edwardian_corsetry.htm

                Those pictures were scary. ::hugs ribs:: I like my
                intestines where they are thank you very much! :-)
                Jessica

                =====
                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Terri Lee
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                  The best and cheapest source for these books are
                  E-bay.
                  Some are old circulation, but they seem to be all over
                  in new and used book stores as well.
                  Terri

                  --- "traceyln01 <traceyln@...>"

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Terri Lee
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                    Thank you all for helping to point me in the right
                    direction. I now realize why I was so confused and
                    feel like a tart for getting to that point. Can we say
                    Duh? I sure can!

                    I now know exactly what I need to do to make this
                    outfit. I'll post pictures when I have it done.

                    Thank you all for all of your help. I really do
                    appreciate ""big time""!
                    Love n Hugs
                    Terri

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • amy kucharik
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002

                      Terri, I did a simple search on Amazon for "turn of the century fashion" which turned up a handful of books on the topic -- even if you didn't want to order them, just looking at the covers might provide some material for you. Just a thought.

                    • peggy salvail
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                        I would too be interested in finding some of there
                        paperdoll books, Cora (daughter) collects them: Peggy

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Paquerette
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                          Siebel San wrote:

                          > > You might try this site for some basic info:
                          > > http://www.fashion-era.com/edwardian_corsetry.htm
                          >
                          > Those pictures were scary. ::hugs ribs:: I like my
                          > intestines where they are thank you very much! :-)
                          > Jessica

                          No, no! I said /don't/ do the tightlacing! ;-P

                          Jeni.
                        • Siebel San
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                            > > > You might try this site for some basic info:
                            > > > http://www.fashion-era.com/edwardian_corsetry.htm
                            > >
                            > > Those pictures were scary. ::hugs ribs:: I like my
                            > > intestines where they are thank you very much! :-)
                            > > Jessica
                            >
                            > No, no! I said /don't/ do the tightlacing! ;-P
                            >
                            > Jeni.

                            Don't worry about me! I don't need a waist smaller than my
                            arm!
                            Jessica

                            =====
                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com