My Fabulous Book Score!

  • Madonna Lucia Ilaria Malatesta <lamiastr
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002
      OK, first I have to gloat and then I have a question! :) Below you
      will find my 24 most recent additions to my costuming book
      collection. You see, a local library was culling its collection and
      because of where I work our employees were allowed to go take any of
      the discards we wanted... for free! This is only a fraction of the
      books I've taken home and anyway, it occured to me to look them up on
      amazon and abebooks and see if 1) they were available and 2) what
      they cost if they were. As you'll be able to see, I was pretty
      floored by some of my discoveries! If I had actually gone out and
      purchased all these I'd have spent close to $1,000! So there's the
      gloating part!

      Now for the question. I'm familiar with only a few of these books
      and of course I want to read them all! However, I'm not sure which
      ones are most worthwhile and which might just be dreck! LOL So if
      anyone is familiar with any of these books and can tell me if they
      are :

      Very worthwhile

      Not Bad

      or

      Don't Waste Your Time

      I'd be very grateful! Many thanks in advance!

      Regards,

      Lucia

      Lucia's Costuming Book Collection:

      1. Japanese Costume and the Makers of Its Elegant Tradition
      by Helen Benton Minnich Out of print, used on Amazon.com 69.99

      2. Fashion, from ancient Egypt to the present day
      by Mila Contini Out of print, used on Amazon.com $25

      3. Oriental costume
      by Jacqueline Ayer Out of print, used on Amazon $45

      4. Historic Costume: A REsumE of Style and Fashion from Remote Times
      to the Nineteen-Sixties
      by Katherine Morris Lester Out of Print

      5. History of Fashions
      by Rosana. Pistolese Out of print, available on Amazon.com between
      $9.61 and $34

      6. Book of Costume
      by Millia Davenport Vol 1 & 2, Out of print, single editions
      available used on Amazon.com between $98.25 & $107.23

      7. The Mode in Costume
      by R. Turner Wilcox available used on Amazon.com between $10.80 &
      $21.11

      8. Short History of Costume and Armour 1066-1485 vol.1
      by Francis M. Kelly, Randolph Schwabe out of print but newer edition
      available on Amazon.com for $10.47

      9. Dressing the Part: A History of Costume for the Theatre.
      by Fairfax Walkup Out of print, available used on Amazon.com for
      $34.43

      10. A history of shoe fashions: a study of shoe design in relation to
      costume for shoe designers, pattern cutters, manufacturers, fashion
      students and dress designers, etc
      by Eunice Wilson Out of print, available used on Amazon.com for $121

      11. Costume Throughout the Ages.
      by Mary, Evans Out of print, available used on Amazon.com for $3.95

      12. Historic Costume: A Chronicle of Fashion in Western Europe 1490-
      1790
      by Francis M. Kelly, Randolph Schwabe Still in print, available on
      Amazon.com for $35.95

      13. Costumes and Styles.
      by Henny Harald. Hansen Out of Print, available used on Amazon.com
      for $4.75

      14. A history of make-up
      by Maggie Angeloglou Out of print

      15. Figleafing Through History
      by C. Harris Out of print, available used on Amazon.com for $6.99

      16. Folk and Festival Costumes of the World
      by R. Turner Wilcox Out of Print

      17. The Concise History of Costume and Fashion, James Laver
      Available used at abebooks.com for $37

      18. Costume Through the Ages, James Laver
      Available used at abebooks.com for $30.02

      19. Costume, James Laver
      Available used at abebooks.com for $32.50

      20. Costume of the Western World - Fashions of the Renaissance in
      England, France, Spain and Holland, James Laver
      Available used at abebooks.com for $50

      21. A Short History of the Scottish Dress, R.M.D. Grange
      Available used at abebooks.com for $60

      22. The Mode in Hats and Headdress, R. Turner Wilcox
      Available used at abebooks for $175

      23. Body and Clothes: An Illustrated History of Costume, R.Broby-
      Johansen
      Available used from abebooks.con for $45

      24. Underwear: A History, Elizabeth Ewing
      Not found but her DRESS AND UNDRESS A History of Women's Underwear is
      available at abebooks.com for $37.06