Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Medieval underwear?

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
      > http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/corikirtke.html

      Actually, the link didn't work...maybe something spelled
      wrong in there?
      -Jessie

      =====
      - - - - - - - - - -

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
        Oops. now I got it. IGNORE ME! :-)

        Jessie

        =====
        - - - - - - - - - -

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Sylvia
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
          on 4/4/01 7:04 PM, Siebel San at siebelsan@... wrote:

          >> Hi Jesse-
          >>
          >> From what I understand women at that time did not wear
          >> anything under the Kirtle. They did wear stocks to the
          >> knee with points holding them up. Up until the 19th
          >> century (I believe) women were not considered lady like
          >> if they wore underpants but onyl if they were going to
          >> ride a hosre. I hope this was of some help.
          >
          > Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
          > endowed in the bust and needs something there. She wants a
          > corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one, she
          > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have any
          > suggestions? (going commando under her bridal gown...she's
          > gonna love that one...)
          > -Jessie

          Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic, since corsets werent worn
          until the Renaissance. How about she just wears a seamless bra, ie,
          something that shows as little as possible?

          Sylvia Rognstad
          --
          Divinity Designs and Emeralds
          http://www.d-e-designs.com

          > =====
          > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
          > - - - - - - - - - -
          > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a long time.
          > Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
          > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind of a joke.*"
          >
          > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers from
          > hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the distractions.

        • Lori Sharpsteen
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
            You're welcome!

            Lori Sharpsteen
            www.battlefieldsandballrooms.com
          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2001
              > > Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
              > > endowed in the bust and needs something there. She
              > wants a
              > > corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one,
              > she
              > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have
              > any
              > > suggestions? (going commando under her bridal
              > gown...she's
              > > gonna love that one...)
              > > -Jessie
              >
              > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic, since
              > corsets werent worn
              > until the Renaissance. How about she just wears a
              > seamless bra, ie,
              > something that shows as little as possible?

              They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

              =====
              - - - - - - - - - -

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Juliana T
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                No, no, no, no, no -- this is a misconception. Medieval people DID wear
                underwear, as we modernly understand the term.

                It varies from place to place, and century to century, but it certainly was
                a staple of Medieval clothing.

                The time period we call the Middle Ages spans 1,000 yrs - it is a historical
                injustice to make generalizations about so long and dynamic a time period.

                In a good deal of the early and high Middle Ages, men wore what we might
                consider bikin style pantis, and women wore what we might think of as
                boxers. There are various types of wraps 'diaper style' evident for men, as
                well. Women's underwear was more often than nott, loose.

                If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.
                :)

                Juliana

                "Embroider, embellish, bejewel!" - Simona Vasari
                ...ubi sunt ones mei?..

                Send a cool gift with your E-Card
                http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
              • Rebecca J. J.
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                  Hi! I'm new. :)

                  >If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.

                  Thank you! I would love more information. I also have read that they did not
                  wear underwear. In fact, one book I read, written probably in the 60's, said
                  that the fact that women would occasionally have their skirts fly up over
                  their heads if they fell off a horse, or such, and that it would reveal
                  their bare ends was a subject of crude jokes in the 13th century.

                  I've also heard of other cultures did not wear underwear. But knowing the
                  female body, this makes very little sense to me.

                  Any additional information you have would be wonderful.

                  Rebecca J. J.
                • sheila widmaier
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                    > Subject: Re: Medieval underwear?
                    > moderately> > > endowed in the bust and needs
                    something there. > She> > wants a> > > corset of some
                    type, and though I can make a> basic one,> > she
                    > > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone
                    > else have> > any> > > suggestions? (going commando
                    under her bridal> > gown...she's> > > gonna love that
                    one...)> > > -Jessie

                    > > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic,
                    > since> > corsets werent worn> > until the
                    Renaissance. How about she just wears a> > seamless
                    bra, ie,> > something that shows as little as
                    possible?

                    > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                    Not that we know of. Although the men did wear
                    Chausses And Braies. I believe the current
                    scholarly thought is that women would wear a very
                    fitted under-dress, and some kind of leg-wraps.

                    http://www.provide.net/~randyaf/Chausses.Braiesdocs.html

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/