Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Medieval underwear?

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
      Thanks Lori!!

      -Jessie

      =====
      - - - - - - - - - -

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
        > http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/corikirtke.html

        Actually, the link didn't work...maybe something spelled
        wrong in there?
        -Jessie

        =====
        - - - - - - - - - -

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
          Oops. now I got it. IGNORE ME! :-)

          Jessie

          =====
          - - - - - - - - - -

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Sylvia
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
            on 4/4/01 7:04 PM, Siebel San at siebelsan@... wrote:

            >> Hi Jesse-
            >>
            >> From what I understand women at that time did not wear
            >> anything under the Kirtle. They did wear stocks to the
            >> knee with points holding them up. Up until the 19th
            >> century (I believe) women were not considered lady like
            >> if they wore underpants but onyl if they were going to
            >> ride a hosre. I hope this was of some help.
            >
            > Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
            > endowed in the bust and needs something there. She wants a
            > corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one, she
            > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have any
            > suggestions? (going commando under her bridal gown...she's
            > gonna love that one...)
            > -Jessie

            Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic, since corsets werent worn
            until the Renaissance. How about she just wears a seamless bra, ie,
            something that shows as little as possible?

            Sylvia Rognstad
            --
            Divinity Designs and Emeralds
            http://www.d-e-designs.com

            > =====
            > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
            > - - - - - - - - - -
            > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a long time.
            > Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
            > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind of a joke.*"
            >
            > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers from
            > hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the distractions.

          • Lori Sharpsteen
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
              You're welcome!

              Lori Sharpsteen
              www.battlefieldsandballrooms.com
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2001
                > > Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
                > > endowed in the bust and needs something there. She
                > wants a
                > > corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one,
                > she
                > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have
                > any
                > > suggestions? (going commando under her bridal
                > gown...she's
                > > gonna love that one...)
                > > -Jessie
                >
                > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic, since
                > corsets werent worn
                > until the Renaissance. How about she just wears a
                > seamless bra, ie,
                > something that shows as little as possible?

                They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                =====
                - - - - - - - - - -

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Juliana T
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                  > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                  No, no, no, no, no -- this is a misconception. Medieval people DID wear
                  underwear, as we modernly understand the term.

                  It varies from place to place, and century to century, but it certainly was
                  a staple of Medieval clothing.

                  The time period we call the Middle Ages spans 1,000 yrs - it is a historical
                  injustice to make generalizations about so long and dynamic a time period.

                  In a good deal of the early and high Middle Ages, men wore what we might
                  consider bikin style pantis, and women wore what we might think of as
                  boxers. There are various types of wraps 'diaper style' evident for men, as
                  well. Women's underwear was more often than nott, loose.

                  If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.
                  :)

                  Juliana

                  "Embroider, embellish, bejewel!" - Simona Vasari
                  ...ubi sunt ones mei?..

                  Send a cool gift with your E-Card
                  http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
                • Rebecca J. J.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                    Hi! I'm new. :)

                    >If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.

                    Thank you! I would love more information. I also have read that they did not
                    wear underwear. In fact, one book I read, written probably in the 60's, said
                    that the fact that women would occasionally have their skirts fly up over
                    their heads if they fell off a horse, or such, and that it would reveal
                    their bare ends was a subject of crude jokes in the 13th century.

                    I've also heard of other cultures did not wear underwear. But knowing the
                    female body, this makes very little sense to me.

                    Any additional information you have would be wonderful.

                    Rebecca J. J.
                  • sheila widmaier
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                      > Subject: Re: Medieval underwear?
                      > moderately> > > endowed in the bust and needs
                      something there. > She> > wants a> > > corset of some
                      type, and though I can make a> basic one,> > she
                      > > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone
                      > else have> > any> > > suggestions? (going commando
                      under her bridal> > gown...she's> > > gonna love that
                      one...)> > > -Jessie

                      > > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic,
                      > since> > corsets werent worn> > until the
                      Renaissance. How about she just wears a> > seamless
                      bra, ie,> > something that shows as little as
                      possible?

                      > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                      Not that we know of. Although the men did wear
                      Chausses And Braies. I believe the current
                      scholarly thought is that women would wear a very
                      fitted under-dress, and some kind of leg-wraps.

                      http://www.provide.net/~randyaf/Chausses.Braiesdocs.html

                      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/