New Member

  • Jody
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 22, 2002
      Hi,
      My name is Jody, or Kit. A resident of Louisianna, I have 6 kids and
      another on the way...I love large families, don't you?! It has been
      my dream for some time to start making costumes to sell. I was
      thinking of starting out in Medieval costumes. I hope that I can help
      as well as learn here. Thank you all.
      Yours,
      Jody (Kit)
    • Jeannie Taylor
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 25, 2002
        if its patterns or people to sell to then www.sca.org is the place for you
        to check out it is the medieval recreation group that is world wide it has
        many links to such things. best of luck in your search.if i can be of any
        help. write me directly. as i am busy with our own groups garb construction
        and don't check all messages from the costumers manifesto. jeannie (aka
        chrystolita sapphiren of the ERGH fleet)

        >From: "Jody" <jodylynnderr@...>
        >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] New Member
        >Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:08:45 -0000
        >
        >Hi,
        >My name is Jody, or Kit. A resident of Louisianna, I have 6 kids and
        >another on the way...I love large families, don't you?! It has been
        >my dream for some time to start making costumes to sell. I was
        >thinking of starting out in Medieval costumes. I hope that I can help
        >as well as learn here. Thank you all.
        >Yours,
        >Jody (Kit)

      • Michelle Clark
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 15 2:57 PM
          As of this time I don't have anything I need/would like to post, but I would
          like to be able to when I am so inspired.

          Thank you

          ****************** Michelle Clark ************************
          ************* Maintain Forward Momentum *******************

          Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now!
          http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general
        • Jeanene
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 16 8:23 AM
            Hello Everyone,

            I'm new to the list and looking for some advice. I'm going to making
            some renaissance garb for my husband and I for both our local faires and
            for participating in a period greyhound group.

            Most of our local events are held in very hot and very humid weather,
            most of the rest just tend to be humid. Our outfits need to be
            appropriate for the greyhound group's position as "keepers of her
            majesties hounds", which implies some sort of wealth or position.

            Does anyone have any advice or resources for constructing a costume as
            lightweight and comfortable as possible for the sorts of conditions we
            have here in Maryland? It isn't that uncommon to have days in the 90's
            with humidity to match on faire days.

            My main concern right now is fabric choices. I really like silk, but
            what weight would work best to provide the proper body and drape while
            not sacrificing comfort? The silk sites on the web are a bit confusing,
            and I'm clueless about fabric in general, beyond "natural=good,
            man-made=bad". How about silk blends? Cotton/silk, linen/silk? Would
            either of these be better for hot weather than 100% silk? Will
            linen/silk wrinkle as badly as regular linen? Will it wrinkle enough to
            make me haul out the iron every time I wear it? I don't particularly
            like to iron.

            For further reference on silk types, I'm probably going to buy from
            Thaisilks.com or their wholesale equivalent if my husband and I
            coordinate our garb; or from Dharma Trading, I don't mind dying... um...
            color choices? eek! more questions!

            Also, what about rayon/silk velvets (and other fabrics)? I just recently
            figured out that rayon does not equal polyester, so now I'm totally
            confused about what to expect from this man-made yet still "natural"
            fabric.

            I could go on and on with a zillion questions that keep occuring to me,
            but I'll stop before this gets annoyingly long. :)

            Thanks in advance

            Jeanene
          • Ana's Accoutremonts
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 17 5:24 AM
              A friend of mine is in the SCA as Rebecca with the Greyhound; she
              "mundanely" volunteers with the retired racer adoption program and
              currently shares her home with three. You can email her at
              doty3689@.... I'm sure she can point you to some excellent
              ideas/sources etc for period houndsman/woman garb.

              Ana

              --
              Ana Foscari
              Ana's Accoutremonts

              "Anger never ceases with anger,
              Anger is healed by love alone.
              Open your heart to love.
              Pray for Peace."

            • charlie66048
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 17 8:42 AM
                ...snip...
                > with humidity to match on faire days.

                I live in Kansas the oven of the United States.

                I have the exact problem you have so I put a little thought into
                garb construction.

                For my husband I made a doublet w/a collar out of chintz (it
                provides sheen like silk but is breathable.)

                I then made chemese sleeves (very full) and attached them to the
                sleeve opening of the doublet giving the appearance of a shirt and
                doublet when it's really one garment.
                as for pants, I made him some venetians.

                >... not sacrificing comfort? The silk sites on the web are a bit
                confusing,...

                I would not suggest silk at all for summer. Remember, the origin of
                silk is from the caterpillar who spun it to cocoon itself. Its
                properties are insular in nature.
                Whereas cotton draws moisture away from the body.
                If you insist on usuing silk then I suggest lining your garment with
                cotton.

                Ciarnait
              • charlie66048
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 17 10:34 AM
                  --- ...snip...
                  > not sacrificing comfort? The silk sites on the web are a bit
                  confusing,
                  ...snip...
                  I posted before but it did not show up don't know why anyway...
                  I live in Kansas and it's hot herealso, the summers are very much
                  like Maryland.
                  What I did was make a doublet with collar (unlined) and made full
                  sleeves and attached them to the doublet armholes. It gives the
                  appearance that there are 2 garments when it's really one.
                  As for pants I made venetians. They are roomy and comfortable.

                  If you wish to make it fancier attach a ruff to the doublet collar
                  as the sleeves were attached.

                  ...snip..
                  > and I'm clueless about fabric in general, beyond "natural=good,
                  > man-made=bad". How about silk blends? Cotton/silk, linen/silk?
                  ...snip...

                  I would not use silk at all.
                  Remember silk in as insular fabric. I suggest you use chintz cotton.
                  Its sheen is similar to silk but because it's cotton, it is
                  breatheable and draws moisture away from the body.

                  Ciarnait

                  > Thanks in advance
                  >
                  > Jeanene
                • Siebel San
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 17 7:18 PM
                    If I were you, I would just go with cotton! It's easy to
                    wear and care for, and it was almost as costly as silk, as
                    it had to be imported from Egypt. If you really want silk,
                    I would reccomend that you only make your outerwear with it
                    (i.e. gown, doublet, etc) and make your underwear (i.e.
                    chemise, shirt) from cotton.
                    Jessica

                    =====
                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • neimhaille
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 17 9:24 PM
                      > If I were you, I would just go with cotton! It's easy to
                      > wear and care for, and it was almost as costly as silk, as
                      > it had to be imported from Egypt. If you really want silk,
                      > I would reccomend that you only make your outerwear with it
                      > (i.e. gown, doublet, etc) and make your underwear (i.e.
                      > chemise, shirt) from cotton.

                      Or go the step further in coolness and line the garment in linen and
                      make the underwear out of linen.

                      I can truly attest to it keeping you cool. I did a couple of library
                      demos in my full wool burgundian:
                      http://costumes.glittersweet.com/burgundian.htm

                      That wool is upholstery weight, so very thick and there is 5m of the
                      stuff;) Yet the linen kept me nice and cool in the heated library.

                      Linen is a step cooler than cotton, and you can find it for
                      reasonable prices if you look.

                      Oh it's so cool I really would not recommend it for outerwear for all
                      day and night events. Unless you nights are equally hot that is. If
                      they aren't then you'll need to put something warmer over the top
                      just before the cool sets in to keep in the warmth so to speak.

                      michaela
                      http://glittersweet.com
                    • neimhaille
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 17 9:44 PM
                        > Most of our local events are held in very hot and very humid
                        weather,
                        > most of the rest just tend to be humid. Our outfits need to be
                        > appropriate for the greyhound group's position as "keepers of her
                        > majesties hounds", which implies some sort of wealth or position.

                        Hmmm.. well I mentioned linen in my last email... not sure what class
                        you would be ... I know in Germany Mayors were considered middle
                        class and linen is appropriate as outerwear for middle class.. I'm
                        not sure aristocracy is right... but then I'm not really focused on
                        English society;) I like my Lowlands middle class persona;) They were
                        pretty upwardly mobile but I'm sure pretty darned practical.

                        > Does anyone have any advice or resources for constructing a costume
                        as
                        > lightweight and comfortable as possible for the sorts of conditions
                        we
                        > have here in Maryland? It isn't that uncommon to have days in the
                        90's
                        > with humidity to match on faire days.

                        Well if you want to eliminate weight and bulk I'd suggest making a
                        light frame farthingale and actually shaping your skirt panels to fit
                        rather than the usual gather a lot of fabric into a tube style (which
                        isn't really period. There is a 17thC pattern in Patterns of fashion
                        that does this, but that's after the so called French Farthingale).

                        This will reduce the amount of fabric you are carrying and the
                        farthingale will keep things away from your legs. If you make your
                        shift from linen and quite short that need be the only thing under
                        the fartingale (save what you will be wearing as stockings;) ). Save
                        your petticoats to go over it to reduce the ridges of the hoops.

                        > My main concern right now is fabric choices. I really like silk,
                        but
                        > what weight would work best to provide the proper body and drape
                        while
                        > not sacrificing comfort?

                        As mentioned line the bodice in a natural plant fibre. I really still
                        recommend linen over anything else. Since starting to use it it
                        really has made a difference. A nice midweight taffeta should be
                        good. And if you do find a lighter silk, interline it. Making sure to
                        keep the layers working as one.

                        >Will linen/silk wrinkle as badly as regular linen? Will it wrinkle
                        enough to
                        > make me haul out the iron every time I wear it? I don't
                        particularly
                        > like to iron.

                        Well you will probably need to iron anything except a heavy wool a
                        fair deal due to how things sit in the wardrobe. However if you
                        prepare a few days in advance I'm sure you could hang the gown
                        outside the wardrobe (even on a dress makers form) which whould help
                        reduce the amount of ironing needed.

                        > For further reference on silk types, I'm probably going to buy from
                        > Thaisilks.com or their wholesale equivalent if my husband and I
                        > coordinate our garb; or from Dharma Trading, I don't mind dying...
                        um...
                        > color choices? eek! more questions!

                        Go for nice bright colours. Not enough people use them;) Maybe not
                        the extremely bright colours that scream man made dyes, but you might
                        be surprised at the colour some silks were dyed. I have a photo of a
                        velvet that is seriously a bricky red-wine colour, turmeric yellow
                        and dark blue. The colours are so vivid and the pattern small and
                        intricate.. it almost hurts to look at it.

                        > Also, what about rayon/silk velvets (and other fabrics)? I just
                        recently
                        > figured out that rayon does not equal polyester, so now I'm totally
                        > confused about what to expect from this man-made yet
                        still "natural"
                        > fabric.

                        OK... people will say it's too shiney, and that it's better to use
                        cotton velvet. Well yes and no... I've seen a few samples of velvets
                        in photos and there really is such a variety of textures you can't
                        say one or the other is better.

                        There is a velvet purse with a pile just like a rayon plush I have,
                        and it was quite soft judging by how it was gathered at the top. I've
                        seen very flat and thin piled velvet that looked more like some
                        upholstery stuff I've had. And I just recently found a sewing kit
                        online with a silver and linen cover and a bright red velvet inside.
                        The velvet does look very much like modern cotton velvet.

                        I do prefer the hand of cotton velvet, and with a really good quality
                        one you can get a lovely density, and usually you cannot tell what
                        way the pile goes so you can top and tail pieces. Which would still
                        have been don in period even with an obvious nap;)

                        hope this has helped you feel less encumbered with getting one
                        perfect fabric/colour.

                        michaela
                        http://glittersweet.com
                      • Ana's Accoutremonts
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 18 6:09 AM
                          The problem with silk in heat is that you're used to China silk, which
                          is "hard" silk. Try silk noil or "raw" silk. It doesn't get that
                          "clammy" feel in the heat. Cotton really wasn't commonly used in
                          clothing, even expensive clothing, until after about 1860. Linen was
                          the summer fabric, when you couldn't get merino wool. I highly
                          recommend linen over raw silk--it is stronger, washes better, and isn't
                          that much more expensive. And don't forget to check the wool
                          tables--sometimes you can find an "almost tropical" wool at the chain
                          stores. So fine and soft that it makes silk feel scratchy!

                          Ana

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 18 6:19 AM
                            Velvet depends on your period--keep in mind that velvet was very rare
                            prior to 1500 in Europe. I highly recommend Eagle Microfiber
                            velvet--100% polyester, does not crush or shine, and is machine wash and
                            dry, as long as the garment construction will permit this. Interline it
                            with cotton for comfort, or linen for obsessive authenticity.

                            Also keep in mind that the nap on what we call velvet has shortened in
                            the last 40 years. When I was learning to sew (in the time of
                            Dinosaurs!) true velvet had a 1/4" nap that was directional. Now,
                            except for theatrical drapery velvet, almost everything is what we used
                            to call velveteen, and often has no directional nap.

                            I've found that you really need to consult the "rules" for your specific
                            event. There is a lot of misinformation out there masquerading as
                            "authenticity rules". But if you want to play the game, you gotta play
                            by their rules. So consult experienced participants and the "official
                            rules" before you spend too much money on something that is "too
                            authentic" or doesn't fit the local customs.

                            Ana

                            neimhaille wrote:

                            > > Also, what about rayon/silk velvets (and other fabrics)? I just
                            > recently
                            > > figured out that rayon does not equal polyester, so now I'm totally
                            > > confused about what to expect from this man-made yet
                            > still "natural"
                            > > fabric.
                            >
                            > OK... people will say it's too shiney, and that it's better to use
                            > cotton velvet. Well yes and no... I've seen a few samples of velvets
                            > in photos and there really is such a variety of textures you can't
                            > say one or the other is better.
                            >
                            > There is a velvet purse with a pile just like a rayon plush I have,
                            > and it was quite soft judging by how it was gathered at the top. I've
                            > seen very flat and thin piled velvet that looked more like some
                            > upholstery stuff I've had. And I just recently found a sewing kit
                            > online with a silver and linen cover and a bright red velvet inside.
                            > The velvet does look very much like modern cotton velvet.
                            >
                            > I do prefer the hand of cotton velvet, and with a really good quality
                            > one you can get a lovely density, and usually you cannot tell what
                            > way the pile goes so you can top and tail pieces. Which would still
                            > have been don in period even with an obvious nap;)
                            >
                            > hope this has helped you feel less encumbered with getting one
                            > perfect fabric/colour.
                            >
                            > michaela
                            > http://glittersweet.com
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > click here
                            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707300337:HM/A=1754016/R=0/SIG=11pv1u2ju/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30529&media=atkins>

                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                            --
                            Ana Foscari
                            Ana's Accoutremonts
                            "We Fit EVERY Body!"
                            http://www.sewfits.com
                            (toll free) 1-888-SEW-FITS

                            "Anger never ceases with anger,
                            Anger is healed by love alone.
                            Open your heart to love.
                            Pray for Peace."

                          • AF Murphy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 18 6:28 AM
                              Linen. Make everything you wear against your skin linen. It's cool, it
                              breathes, it's lovely stuff. And I'd make the over layers linen, too...
                              though you can wear silk as an overdress. It won't keep you hot if it
                              doesn't touch the skin - it breathes.

                              Linen is much cooler than cotton. It actually wicks moisture away from
                              the body, lets it evaporate, and cools you off. Very comfortable.

                              You really don't have to worry about ironing a shift or a shirt - most
                              of it won't show anyway. Mist if with water, let it hang out - that's
                              fine. When we think of linen, we think of the pressed, starched, crisp
                              stuff - they used that for ruffs and things, but for undergarments, they
                              just washed it (of course) and let it soften so it's comfy. You don't
                              want your shift crisp! *G*

                              Anne

                              Jeanene wrote:
                              > Hello Everyone,
                              >
                              > I'm new to the list and looking for some advice. I'm going to making
                              > some renaissance garb for my husband and I for both our local faires and
                              > for participating in a period greyhound group.
                              >
                              > Most of our local events are held in very hot and very humid weather,
                              > most of the rest just tend to be humid. Our outfits need to be
                              > appropriate for the greyhound group's position as "keepers of her
                              > majesties hounds", which implies some sort of wealth or position.
                              >
                              > Does anyone have any advice or resources for constructing a costume as
                              > lightweight and comfortable as possible for the sorts of conditions we
                              > have here in Maryland? It isn't that uncommon to have days in the 90's
                              > with humidity to match on faire days.
                              >
                              > My main concern right now is fabric choices. I really like silk, but
                              > what weight would work best to provide the proper body and drape while
                              > not sacrificing comfort? The silk sites on the web are a bit confusing,
                              > and I'm clueless about fabric in general, beyond "natural=good,
                              > man-made=bad". How about silk blends? Cotton/silk, linen/silk? Would
                              > either of these be better for hot weather than 100% silk? Will
                              > linen/silk wrinkle as badly as regular linen? Will it wrinkle enough to
                              > make me haul out the iron every time I wear it? I don't particularly
                              > like to iron.
                              >
                              > For further reference on silk types, I'm probably going to buy from
                              > Thaisilks.com or their wholesale equivalent if my husband and I
                              > coordinate our garb; or from Dharma Trading, I don't mind dying... um...
                              > color choices? eek! more questions!
                              >
                              > Also, what about rayon/silk velvets (and other fabrics)? I just recently
                              > figured out that rayon does not equal polyester, so now I'm totally
                              > confused about what to expect from this man-made yet still "natural"
                              > fabric.
                              >
                              > I could go on and on with a zillion questions that keep occuring to me,
                              > but I'll stop before this gets annoyingly long. :)
                              >
                              > Thanks in advance
                              >
                              > Jeanene

                            • Ana's Accoutremonts
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 18 1:33 PM
                                You forgot to mention, if you want your linen soft, wash it in soap, not
                                detergent. Keep in mind that most bar "soaps" are now detergent. I
                                order powdered soap online from an organic products company.

                                Ana

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 24 10:02 AM
                                  Thanks for all the advice on the Ren Wear. I'll just have to bite the
                                  linen bullet and go that route for lining if necessary and
                                  undergarments, ironing or not. It seems like its the hands down winner
                                  in the keep it cool race. :)

                                  As for the outer portion, still debating on what to get, but now at
                                  least I'm more concerned with the price and the right look, rather than
                                  fiber content. Silk, cotton, linen and lightweight wool, or any blend
                                  thereof, will fit the bill.

                                  As for colors, I'm trying to go for something brighter than the typical
                                  you see these days. I'm thinking a deep orangey yellow, I've seen it
                                  referred to as golden ochre in some dye swatches. Sort of a dark
                                  marigold or mustard color.

                                  I'm sure I'll have more questions as the project moves forward.

                                  Thanks again!

                                  Jeanene
                                • Michele Milunas
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 7, 2004
                                    Hi Everyone,

                                    My name is Michele and I'm from Northeastern PA. I'm so glad that I found this group! I have been sewing WW2 reenacting costumes and barracks linens for about a year now. There is so much to learn, and I'm starting to make 40's civilian fashions also. Eventually, I hope to have my own part-time home sewing business, which will include other time periods and ethnic costumes as well.

                                    I hope that I don't ask too many dumb questions. LOL I'm here to learn all I can and share what I already know with others. So, please be patient with me and my best to all of you.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Michele

                                  • randy keator
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 9, 2004
                                      Michele, there aren't any "dumb" questions if you don't already know the
                                      answers. There are many talented people here with a magnitude of
                                      experience. Ask away, someone else probably has some of the same questions.
                                      I'm betting there's someone here who's done it, seen it, or knows how to do
                                      it . Have fun ! RK
                                    • Michele Milunas
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 15, 2004
                                        Thanks for the warm welcome, Randy! I have a lot of questions but don't want to bombard the list just yet;-)) I am, however, looking for a good shirtwaist dress pattern, 40-s style, that only buttons to the waist. All of the vintage and modern pattern sources that I checked only have the kind that buttons all the way down the front.

                                        Any good leads will be much appreciated!

                                        Michele

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 15, 2004
                                          Don't know what your time frame is or size requirements-- but have you tried eBay -- I just did a quick search under Collectibles/Vintage Sewing/Patterns for "shirtwaist dress" and came up with a few. (You can also check under Crafts/Sewing/Patterns -- there are less vintage patterns in that category, but you might find something appropriate there as well.)

                                          Andrea -- NYC

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 15, 2004
                                            Hi Andrea,

                                            Thank you so much for your lead to the shirtwaist dress! I found the pattern that's the right size for me and can't wait to get it!

                                            I am a size 18 and 5'9".

                                            My Best,
                                            Michele

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 30, 2005
                                                Hello Everyone,

                                                I was a member before but had a lengthy illness and had to unsubscribe for awhile. I am still interested in learning about the history, design and construction of period costumes. My favorite periods are WWII and the Italian Renaissance. I also have my own costuming business called Frontsisters. I specialize in reproducing WWII German female uniforms and costumes.

                                                My first question is: what fabrics were Italian Renaissance costumes made from? Any information and research sources are greatly appreciated. I have not sewn these before and am eager to start one.

                                                Michele

                                              • historical_novelist
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                  Hello everyone, new member here. I'm fascinated with costume history
                                                  and I am a daily visitor the the wonderful site that is The Costumer's
                                                  Manifesto, so this group is perfect for me. I'm taking a sewing class
                                                  with the intent of obtaining a degree in fashion design at college, so
                                                  I hope to be able to sew historical costumes. I also write historical
                                                  romances set around the turn of the century(love those clothes) in a
                                                  variety of settings. I hope to have fun on this list.

                                                  I do have a question, so I'll ask it in this email instead of starting
                                                  another one: Does anyone know of any resources on costume of
                                                  Austria-Hungary? I went to see The Illusionist todat(excellent movie
                                                  with sumptuous costumes) and noticed that Jessica Biel's character
                                                  Duchess Sophie rode astride either with breeches beneath her skirts or
                                                  the breeches by themselves. I remember reading somewhere that Empress
                                                  Elizabeth of Austria-Hungary started the trend, but I want a clearer
                                                  confirmation.

                                                  Thanks so much!

                                                  Evangeline
                                                • Christine
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 26, 2006
                                                    Evangeline, can't help with Austro-Hungarian costume resources, but I
                                                    can advise on the Fashion Design course. Not sure how they are
                                                    structured in the USA but here in Australia fashion design does not
                                                    involve very much actual sewing, mostly drawing the concept with
                                                    occassional sampling. I've read on other groups that this may also be
                                                    the case in the US, so I'd recommend looking at the Theatrical Costume
                                                    courses. The courses I took here used very similar construction methods
                                                    to those used in historical costume, e.g. mounting fabric on solid
                                                    foundations (I think you call in flat lining) hand whipping seam
                                                    allowances, hooks and eyes closures and lacing used where appropriate
                                                    etc. "Fashion" courses are usually geared to the mass produced market,
                                                    even couture clothing courses are nowhere near historical methods if I
                                                    recall. I am of course presuming that you want to make reproduction
                                                    historical clothing, not "fancy dress"? Christine in bleak Sydney,
                                                    Australia.
                                                  • historical_novelist
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 31, 2006
                                                      Thanks for the info Christine! I'm actually majoring in fashion design
                                                      right now(a lot of sewing) but had forgotten about the theatre arts
                                                      department at my school. And yes, I'd like to make reproductions of
                                                      costumes. I've found a few books on amazon, and there's this amazing
                                                      costume group a few hours away, so I just need to jump in. *G*

                                                      Evangeline
                                                    • Andromeda Williams
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
                                                        Greetings and Salutations,
                                                            I am here to learn. I am looking for both a mentor and friends/associates that are into costume as much as I am. I tried to take fashion design classes at my university but it was too much fashion and little to no costuming. Perfect for fashion design majors not so good for costumers. I have been greatly inspired by the literature that has appealed to m y heart from the Secret Garden to Pride and Prejudice, Little Women to Wuthering Heights. I  agreed with Virginia Woolf in that the clothing a woman wore had a lot to do with the shaping or her actions and thoughts. I love history and in that the richness of women's clothing seems to have ended 20 years or so before my birth. Not saying that I feel all women should be corseted again or that showing a little leg should once again be taboo, just saying that variety in both modesty and sensuality should be returned in way that are not the Academy Awards red carpet affairs. Now the name of the
                                                        designer means little in that the quality of the garment is trash.  Cheap fabrics, poor construction and available mass produced at Walmart. I would like to see the return of handmade and made at home with superior quality, style and design. Even if it dooms me to have only Sew Beautiful and Martha Pullen as my examples I refuse to give in to the cheap ad disposable clothing of my time. What happened to the trousseau and garments being intended to be handed down? I am not the only one that feels this way am I? More about me other than my clothing issues, I love to read, miss history, dislike the present and pray earnestly for a better future. I am into dolls, book, dancing, swimming, and writing/penmanship. I have many beautiful dolls that need to be dressed and a Civil War ball to go to in December that requires a civil war gown. I want to make it myself as well as know how to behave in it. Anything else you want to know feel free to ask me. I lok
                                                        forward to my time among you all.

                                                        Andromeda

                                                      • Mary Logan
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
                                                          Hello Andromeda,

                                                          Your post inspires me to reply, as I was once where you are, and always find
                                                          I feel a duty to encourage younger people coming into the field.

                                                          After 30+ years in the business, I consider myself a master of the craft,
                                                          from design interpretation, to custom-patterning, through
                                                          sewing/construction and the finest of finishing. My interest began very
                                                          early in life, and purely by happenstance, I ended up doing what I love most
                                                          for a living. It's my view too, that there is a lot to be said for quality
                                                          and style such as we've seen in examples from the past, and even more for
                                                          personal taste and selection in terms of choice suited to occasion.

                                                          If it's costuming, and costume construction that interests you, I would
                                                          venture to say that opportunities are becoming few and far between - that is
                                                          if you want to make a living at it. Technology and industry have combined
                                                          by now to a point where many of the things we used to rely on hands for, are
                                                          executable by machinery, in a much shorter amount of time, hence at a lower
                                                          cost. Add to that the tendency for business to exploit for labour less
                                                          fortunate people in other nations, and it's easy to see that fashion and
                                                          trends are prone to change at a rate much speedier than in times when
                                                          construction spent more time in human hands.

                                                          Just the same, there is nothing to stop you in achieving construction
                                                          skills, though be prepared - in many ways it is a lifetime of learning.
                                                          There are many theatres where interning opportunities exist, as well as
                                                          regional and amateur theatres where they're only too happy to have
                                                          volunteers. Throughout, strive to learn, and begin a book collection. Art
                                                          books contain the most faithful of period clothing representations.
                                                          Reference material is also important - books, magazines....wherever you see
                                                          it, photograph it, copy it, read it, buy it if you can. Pattern-making
                                                          books from all sorts of sources are important as well - as you gain insight
                                                          with experience, you will find your way to your own methods through trial
                                                          and error and comparison - I don't believe there is a single pattern book
                                                          that will contain all that you encounter. Technical books on styling are
                                                          helpful, as well as books that TALK about style and choice of style. One
                                                          of my biggest inspirations (which is what your post reminded me of) was a
                                                          book titled Harmony in Dress, by Mary Brooks Picken.

                                                          Aside from that, if you intend to do work on your own, strive to (over time)
                                                          have proper space, tools and machinery, lighting, storage etc., so that you
                                                          can work properly. Nothing will kill your inspiration as quickly as
                                                          frustration. If you have access, also learn from older people - whether
                                                          it's embroidery, smocking, knitting, crochet, to mention a few - all will be
                                                          useful sometime later., perhaps even a central feature in a project.

                                                          And remember, if at any point you are tempted to assert that now you know
                                                          all you need to know - keep in mind, if you continue in the field, that a
                                                          year, two years, twenty years later, you will know that much more - hence,
                                                          you DON'T know all there is to know, ever, really.

                                                          Regardless of what you see around you, how you personally dress is still
                                                          your choice. If you have a style that is your own, be it classic or trendy,
                                                          IT will be the inspiration you use when working for others - don't be afraid
                                                          of developing it fully, but also respect that not everyone's tastes are the
                                                          same. In judging each of your final products, regardless of whether the
                                                          person or organization you're servicing is happy and overjoyed, use your own
                                                          judgement in establishing your standard. If YOU are happy with it, you will
                                                          know, not hope, that your product is one of quality and will be worn with
                                                          pride.

                                                          So I've gone on a bit, I know, but I hope you, and perhaps others, find it
                                                          helpful. Wishing you all the best in however you choose to express your
                                                          interests.

                                                          Zed

                                                        • E
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
                                                            Greetings, Andromeda!
                                                          • PlaidCrafter
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 18, 2012
                                                              Today at http://craftside.typepad.com/ there is a fun tutorial from Pluckyfluff's new book Hand Spun on how to spin extreme tail yarn and you can enter to win a copy of her book!
                                                              Fiber-fabulous!
                                                              Stef
                                                              http://thecardalbum.blogspot.com/
                                                              http://sweatersurgery.blogspot.com/
                                                              http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/
                                                              Facebook facebook.com/StefanieL.Girard
                                                              (\__/)
                                                              (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
                                                            • IOM315@AOL.com
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Apr 3, 2012
                                                                I've read your post and as well as the post from "Zed". I could not agree
                                                                more with "Zed". I have been designing and producing presentation gowns
                                                                for Mardi Gras over the past 30+ years. This has led me down a very twisted
                                                                path, but I can say after just finishing up work on my 24th Ball for the
                                                                same organization, it is with pride that I look back on how my work has
                                                                evolved.

                                                                From my early endeavors until now I have had to change with the
                                                                marketplace. Beautiful fabrics and trims have either vanished or become so expensive
                                                                they are out of my budget. I have found that being flexible, always
                                                                inquisitive, and not settling for with the first idea has brought my work to its
                                                                current level.

                                                                The most profound change for my work was born because I hate to have my
                                                                work compromised by what is available in the textile industry. Therefore I
                                                                developed a process to emboss my artwork on textiles. While refining the
                                                                process I had the opportunity to create a collection of presentation gowns
                                                                based on Faberge's Easter Eggs. The combination was a true turning point.

                                                                You just never know where the path will lead when faced with challenges.
                                                                My best advice is to approach the challenges of our industry as
                                                                opportunities for growth in spite of the growing pains!

                                                                Best wishes and welcome to this "crazy" world.
                                                                D.L. Dixon
                                                                Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.