Medieval underwear?

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2001
      A friend of mine is having a medieval wedding (I hope to
      have one of those someday!) and is trying to get as
      authentic as possible. What would she wear under her
      kirtle (gown with long sleeves that cover half the hands,
      straight bodice with no darts or curved seams, and long
      skirt consisting of yards and yards of fabric) and sideless
      surcoat? I am pretty sure a corset goes in there
      somewhere, but what syle I haven't the faintest clue. I am
      not very good with time periods, but I think it's somewhere
      in the 1100's-1300's. Anyone out there who can help me?
      Thanks!

      -Jessie

      =====
      - - - - - - - - - -

    • Diana Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2001

        Hi Jesse-

        From what I understand women at that time did not wear anything under the Kirtle. They did wear stocks to the knee with points holding them up. Up until the 19th century (I believe) women were not considered lady like if they wore underpants but onyl if they were going to ride a hosre.  I hope this was of some help.

        Diana

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2001
          > Hi Jesse-
          >
          > From what I understand women at that time did not wear
          > anything under the Kirtle. They did wear stocks to the
          > knee with points holding them up. Up until the 19th
          > century (I believe) women were not considered lady like
          > if they wore underpants but onyl if they were going to
          > ride a hosre. I hope this was of some help.

          Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
          endowed in the bust and needs something there. She wants a
          corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one, she
          wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have any
          suggestions? (going commando under her bridal gown...she's
          gonna love that one...)
          -Jessie

          =====
          - - - - - - - - - -

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Lori Sharpsteen
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2001
            There are directions on a web site for a supporting kirtle, made of
            lightweight linen that would be worn under the kirtle (kind of like a
            chemise in later time periods, but with some bust support. I'll look through
            my files and bookmarks tonight for you. Hmmm...I know I have that here
            somewhere....

            Lori Sharpsteen
            www.battlefieldsandballrooms.com
          • Lori Sharpsteen
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2001
            • Lori Sharpsteen
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2001
                oops! that last link didn't work, this one is it:

                Sorry! (I really need some sleep)
                Lori Sharpsteen
              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
                  Thanks Lori!!

                  -Jessie

                  =====
                  - - - - - - - - - -

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
                    > http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/corikirtke.html

                    Actually, the link didn't work...maybe something spelled
                    wrong in there?
                    -Jessie

                    =====
                    - - - - - - - - - -

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
                      Oops. now I got it. IGNORE ME! :-)

                      Jessie

                      =====
                      - - - - - - - - - -

                      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                    • Sylvia
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
                        on 4/4/01 7:04 PM, Siebel San at siebelsan@... wrote:

                        >> Hi Jesse-
                        >>
                        >> From what I understand women at that time did not wear
                        >> anything under the Kirtle. They did wear stocks to the
                        >> knee with points holding them up. Up until the 19th
                        >> century (I believe) women were not considered lady like
                        >> if they wore underpants but onyl if they were going to
                        >> ride a hosre. I hope this was of some help.
                        >
                        > Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
                        > endowed in the bust and needs something there. She wants a
                        > corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one, she
                        > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have any
                        > suggestions? (going commando under her bridal gown...she's
                        > gonna love that one...)
                        > -Jessie

                        Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic, since corsets werent worn
                        until the Renaissance. How about she just wears a seamless bra, ie,
                        something that shows as little as possible?

                        Sylvia Rognstad
                        --
                        Divinity Designs and Emeralds
                        http://www.d-e-designs.com

                        > =====
                        > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
                        > - - - - - - - - - -
                        > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a long time.
                        > Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
                        > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind of a joke.*"
                        >
                        > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers from
                        > hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the distractions.

                      • Lori Sharpsteen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 5, 2001
                          You're welcome!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 11, 2001
                            > > Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The bride is moderately
                            > > endowed in the bust and needs something there. She
                            > wants a
                            > > corset of some type, and though I can make a basic one,
                            > she
                            > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone else have
                            > any
                            > > suggestions? (going commando under her bridal
                            > gown...she's
                            > > gonna love that one...)
                            > > -Jessie
                            >
                            > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic, since
                            > corsets werent worn
                            > until the Renaissance. How about she just wears a
                            > seamless bra, ie,
                            > something that shows as little as possible?

                            They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                            =====
                            - - - - - - - - - -

                            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                          • Juliana T
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                              > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                              No, no, no, no, no -- this is a misconception. Medieval people DID wear
                              underwear, as we modernly understand the term.

                              It varies from place to place, and century to century, but it certainly was
                              a staple of Medieval clothing.

                              The time period we call the Middle Ages spans 1,000 yrs - it is a historical
                              injustice to make generalizations about so long and dynamic a time period.

                              In a good deal of the early and high Middle Ages, men wore what we might
                              consider bikin style pantis, and women wore what we might think of as
                              boxers. There are various types of wraps 'diaper style' evident for men, as
                              well. Women's underwear was more often than nott, loose.

                              If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.
                              :)

                              Juliana

                              "Embroider, embellish, bejewel!" - Simona Vasari
                              ...ubi sunt ones mei?..

                              Send a cool gift with your E-Card
                              http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
                            • Rebecca J. J.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                                Hi! I'm new. :)

                                >If you would like more information, or more specifice, please let me know.

                                Thank you! I would love more information. I also have read that they did not
                                wear underwear. In fact, one book I read, written probably in the 60's, said
                                that the fact that women would occasionally have their skirts fly up over
                                their heads if they fell off a horse, or such, and that it would reveal
                                their bare ends was a subject of crude jokes in the 13th century.

                                I've also heard of other cultures did not wear underwear. But knowing the
                                female body, this makes very little sense to me.

                                Any additional information you have would be wonderful.

                                Rebecca J. J.
                              • sheila widmaier
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
                                  > Subject: Re: Medieval underwear?
                                  > moderately> > > endowed in the bust and needs
                                  something there. > She> > wants a> > > corset of some
                                  type, and though I can make a> basic one,> > she
                                  > > > wants as authentic a one as possible. Anyone
                                  > else have> > any> > > suggestions? (going commando
                                  under her bridal> > gown...she's> > > gonna love that
                                  one...)> > > -Jessie

                                  > > Any type of corset is going to be inauthentic,
                                  > since> > corsets werent worn> > until the
                                  Renaissance. How about she just wears a> > seamless
                                  bra, ie,> > something that shows as little as
                                  possible?

                                  > They didn't wear ANYTHING underneath? At all?

                                  Not that we know of. Although the men did wear
                                  Chausses And Braies. I believe the current
                                  scholarly thought is that women would wear a very
                                  fitted under-dress, and some kind of leg-wraps.

                                  http://www.provide.net/~randyaf/Chausses.Braiesdocs.html

                                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/