Costume Bible help...

  • Sarah P
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hi Kacie,

      A costume bible is the most important book in the costume shop, next to the
      how-to books and the patterns and sewing machines. It is the book that
      contains the actors' measurements, copies of their headshots, contact sheets
      (for getting in touch with people), research, sketches of costumes, notes on
      costumes and on actors regarding costumes, notes from fittings, fabric
      swatches, dye swatches, production notes, you-name-it. Budgets can also be
      put in this book. But I think I'd keep that in a different book, since the
      bible is constantly in use in the shop and quite often will get "lost" in
      the process of building--it's always found under something the next day.
      You were very much on-track about what goes in the book. This book is
      usually a big 3-ring notebook and is organized in sections by actor and
      character. Contact sheets and other such stuff is in the very front, next
      comes measurement sheets and actor notes--in here also goes make-up charts
      and other stuff for the actors, then sketches of the actors/characters, then
      research according to character. Sometimes I've seen sketches put in with
      the research, sometimes I've seen everything sorted out by actor--but that
      gets to be messy. On the outside of the notebook I usually give the title
      of the play, the author, the director, the costume designer, and a list of
      the actors and their characters. I hope this helps. By the way, which
      school are you looking at for the Fall? I'm curious.

      ----Sarah
      Senior at Berry College