Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Introduce Yourself!

  • rermisch
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2000
      From: "TheCostumer Tara Maginnis" <Tara@...>
      To: <TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 2:17 AM
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Introduce Yourself!

      > Greetings, this is Tara your fearless moderator. I was thinking it
      > might be nice if all you folks posted introductions to the group so
      > you could find out more about who everyone is. So for a start here
      > are some questions you all may want to answer. Feel free to add more.

      Hi! This is fun. I just logged on and found all these great
      messages. I so look forward to this group. There are just too few people
      around here that talk costume.

      > Name? Becky, Beck
      >
      > Location?Bloomsburg, Pa.( The only town in Pa. technically.) We are very
      proud of that and also the University which dates back to some where just
      after the Civil War.

      > Mental Age? Oh, gosh! Wel l, today , I guess I'm rivaling Methusala! It
      is Halloween and the crazies are coming out of the woodwork. When did my
      youth become a costume. I was never really a hippy but we all liked to dress
      that way!

      > Do you have a web site? Nope ! Maybe a future consideration !
      >
      > What is your main interest in costume? Mostly I like to try to construct
      something that makes people want to be some one else for a day. I like to
      research an era and then see if I can duplicate the clothing I think best
      represents that era. I mostly do period costume and we are used by all the
      little theatre groups and high schools for quite a few miles. I have been
      building up slowly and now have built up a sizable enough collection . Most
      people know me in the community ( I'm called the Costume Lady. Gosh , iam
      getting old. ) because I have been doing costumes since I was a sophmore in
      the local university. I began doing costumes for shows and was put in charge
      in my junior year. Stayed in charge even after I graduated and even after I
      finished my graduate studies and kept on until the directors I had always
      worked with retired. I finally decided that I needed to make a real living
      and became a tailor at a local men's shop. People kept coming to me for
      costumes so I started making them for people and getting them back to rent
      again. That was fifteen years ago and we keep on growing.

      > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
      > Ever After, The Man in the Iron Mask, Gigi, Robin Hood(Love those
      studded vests), The River of No Return(Marilyn's dance hall singer outfits
      are great), The Lion in Winter, Sense and Sensibility, War and Peace, and
      Adrian's costumes for Marie Antoinette.
      > What is your favorite historic costume period?
      > Medieval mostly, with a side of Renaissance. Herbert Norris is an
      amazing author.
      > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
      > When we did Pirates of Penzance, the head pirate was swaggering
      onstage in the tightest pair of pants(his insistance) and the zipper broke
      when he was out on the runway. We had to sew him into them every night after
      that ( The director's insistance)
      > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
      > etc.? Some one so covered in mud that you couldn't determine their
      gender.

      > What is your favorite weird costume material?
      > My favorite weird "under" material is foam , the kind used under
      carpeting. It comes in wide widths and can be cut easily just like fabric
      and sewn on the sewing machine too. ( You do need to some times run a piece
      of fabric under the presser foot so it moves better but it works fine for
      things like animal heads , helmuts, and hats. I put millinary wire around
      the edge and even the large brimmed bonnets hold up well. do not however get
      the kind of foam that is made up of lots of little foam pieces glued
      together . The glue messes up your needles.
      > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
      > vain.
      > Can't think of anything. I tend to improvise a lot. I go into a
      hardware store and when ask what I am looking for I tell them "something
      that looks like a nose, or something that looks like eyes." ( once I ended
      up using two toilet rubber stoppers because the pattern on them looked very
      much like eyelashes on a cartoon face.)
      > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
      > Well, I have had to do so several times and that is a tough
      question. Left up to my "druthers" I think I would buy a bolt of fabric and
      let each bridesmaid choose her own style. That way the color and fabrice is
      the same but you are trusting each person to know what looks b est on her.

      > Well , this has been fun but I need to order 42 skeletons so a local
      frat can be the bad boys of the first Karate Kid movie. Hope to listen in
      on all this great costume talk!

    • Patricia (Coopie) Mason
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 10, 2000
        > Name?
        Coopie

        > Location?
        Norman, OK

        > Mental Age?
        I am what I am! 63

        > Do you have a web site?
        Not yet, maybe never.

        > What is your main interest in costume?
        I am shop co-ordinator at the university here.

        > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
        I will watch ANYTHING,and it's hard to pick a favorite. I'm pretty much a
        creature of enthusiams. Which is why theatre is a good place for me. Build a
        world today, tear it down tomorrow! Build a new one on Wednesday!

        > What is your favorite historic costume period?
        Whichever I'm working in NOW. I really don't like "weird". I hate to build
        "trees" , etc.

        > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
        Believe me there are too many to cover in one setting.

        > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
        > etc.?
        I don't like to be judgementat with folk who are doing their best without
        the background. But I really hate "wrong".

        > What is your favorite weird costume material?

        > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
        > vain.
        >
        > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
        At this moment, NOT cranberry red slik velvet.

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000

          > Name? Jessie
          >
          > Location? PA
          >
          > Mental Age? depends. I was born an adult, but sometimes
          I regress...

          > Do you have a web site? yeah, but it's cheesy and stupid
          and I am hoping no one will ever visit it so it will
          eventually disappear. I plan to put up a new one for my
          costuming business soon though: stay tuned!

          > What is your main interest in costume?
          Medieval/Renaissance/Fantasy I love making unique and
          detailed things - no two of my costumes are ever exactly
          alike.

          > What are your favorite Costume Movies? 'Midsummer Night's
          Dream', 'Gone With the Wind' (always wanted to make
          Scarlett's BBQ dress), 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves',
          'Legend', 'Titanic' (and ONLY for the costumes), and a
          million others...

          > What is your favorite historic costume period? lol, just
          about everything between 1200 and 1920.

          > Describe your favorite costume disaster. gosh, there were
          so many I don't know how I live with them...probably the
          taffeta medieval gown I made two years ago with the sleeves
          that just wouldn't fit in the armholes and in turn just
          won't fit the arms and shoulders in them. I am still
          struggling with that to this day

          > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire,
          > SCA event,
          > etc.? I can think of anything too horrendous. I guess
          the worst was a Tudor/Elizibethan gown at a Medieval faire.
          And the gown was done in pink and pastel purple ::sigh::
          so completely wrong...

          > What is your favorite weird costume material? cellophane
          baby! and weird stuff out of the floral departments - you
          can have lots of fun with spanish moss and garlands of
          leaves (someone looked at my first fairy costume and
          remarked that I looked like I had gotten into a fight with
          a tree and lost) I do much of my material shopping at yard
          sales, trift shops, salvation army...

          > Describe a costume object or material for which you have
          > searched in
          > vain. 5+ yards (all one piece) of good, heavy,
          old-fashioned brocade. The closest I've come were some old
          red and black brocade curtains. And even then, I can
          usually come up with something close.

          > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In something she could
          actually wear sometime and some place other than the
          wedding.

          Short bio: I am 18 and have been sewing for about a year
          and a half, and while I am not a prodigy, I do seem to have
          some good amount of talent. I am in the process of
          starting a costuming business that specializes in
          medieval/fantasy and unique bridal/prom/evening gowns. My
          goal is to be able to customize to almost any budget (we
          all know the price difference between a gown in velvet and
          a gown in calico, but they can be equally beautiful)
          Anyhow, I work from my dining room, am contemplating
          going to college for costume/fashion design, am engaged
          (I'll be the first to admit I am too young), manage a Pizza
          Hut where I am known as the Sacraficial Virgin, and
          basically live the crazy, hectic teenage life :-)

          All the best,
          Jessie

          =====
          - - - - - - - - - -

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • linda craft
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
            --- TheCostumer Tara Maginnis <Tara@...>
            wrote:
            > > Name?Linda
            >
            > Location?Holland, MI
            >
            > Mental Age? 2 1/2 on a good day...3>
            > Do you have a web site?yes, but it isn't finished
            yet. it may never get finished

            > What is your main interest in costume?I do high
            school plays, so most of the things I do are pretty
            classic high school We are doing Fiddler on the roof
            right now. I'm having fun coming up with ideas for
            Fruma Sarah (who happens to be my daughter)>
            > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Ever After,
            Hello Dolly,(love those hats)

            > What is your favorite historic costume period?I have
            to pick just one??? I love anything in the 1100-1300
            , also 1860 through the 1930's I love 30's clothes.

            > Describe your favorite costume disaster. There was
            an actor once who bled on her costume,just before a 3
            day rest and didn't tell anyone, later when I went to
            iron it I found the mess. needless to say it never
            came out. Fortunately it was a red suit so it didn't
            show up past the first couple rows.

            > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a
            > RenFaire, SCA event,
            > etc.?
            >
            > What is your favorite weird costume material? The
            shinny silver insulation fabric used for pot holders
            etc. It makes a wonderful Tin Man that sparkles in the
            lights. Also I live in an area where they make office
            furniture. Several of the companies sell their excess
            fabric,at $1.00 or give it away to the schools. I get
            wonderful $20 - $30 a yard fabric for peanuts. I made
            wonderful costumes for Once Upon a Mattress and
            Cinderella last year. If you live anywhere near a
            place like that call them and see if you can get great
            stuff too.
            > Describe a costume object or material for which you
            > have searched in
            > vain. I've only been doing this for 8 years, I've
            always managed to get lucky sometimes two days before
            opening

            > How you would dress a bridesmaid? Like real people,
            not frilly,fluffy ,full sized dolls. In real clothes
            they could really use again, or at least use on stage
            or sell.

            http://im.yahoo.com/
          • Maxim Paprosa
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2000
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com, "TheCostumer Tara Maginnis"
              <Tara@c...> wrote:
              > Greetings, this is Tara your fearless moderator. I was thinking it
              > might be nice if all you folks posted introductions to the group so
              > you could find out more about who everyone is. So for a start here
              > are some questions you all may want to answer. Feel free to add
              more.

              > Name?
              Maxim Paprosa, THR 254 dropout

              > Location?
              at home in the arctic

              > Mental Age?
              I have to show i.d. to purchase alcohol

              > Do you have a web site?
              yea, but it contains 0% of your RDI of costumes

              > What is your main interest in costume?
              I enjoy making my own clothes, and I'm also interested in the socio-
              economic-enviornmental aspects of clothing.>

              > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
              I've given this a bit of thought. It's a tie between Andrei
              Tarkovsky's 'Andrei Rublev' (for historical accuracy; too bad the
              film was shot in b&w) and John Water's movies, especially Pink
              Flamingos (innovative and filmed in color) and Female Trouble. What I
              really appreciate about John Water's early films is the low-budget
              aspect, being innovative with a $200 art budget for Pink Flamingos.

              > What is your favorite historic costume period?
              pre-contact american textiles such as chilkat weaving & Incan textiles
              I also like punk rock, and 1960s-1970s alaskan parkas

              > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
              $200 budget for metallic spray paint, to be applied to ~50 masks and
              gowns by ~ a team of 5 unsupervised teenage inhalent-abusers. End
              result prematurely running out of paint and learning how stupid kids
              can be.

              > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
              > etc.?
              I watched the film 'trekkies' and I was mostly disturbed by it all,
              especially the trekkie-costumed lap dog. I would have to say I am
              disturbed by any such dog-costume

              > What is your favorite weird costume material?
              snack food wrappers! Genius, Tara! Anything recycled/reused

              > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
              in vain.
              Hemp fleece! Hemp/silk brocade! Who knows where to find this?

              > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
              I think most importantly a bridesmade's outfit should allow her to
              move about easily to do last minute wedding stuff. I would avoid
              panniers, stays, petticoats, super-long sleeves or skirts.
            • cecilia@jahoopa.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
                Hello, all. Just joined the list today, skimmed through all the
                posts just to get an idea of the atmosphere. And I thought I'd fill
                out the survey!

                > Name?
                Jeni

                > Location?
                Scranton, PA

                > Mental Age?
                Varies from 16 to 40, I think.

                > Do you have a web site?
                Yes, but I have about 1% costume stuff on there, and it's in the
                process of moving to a popup-free server.

                > What is your main interest in costume?
                Becoming someone else. I'm a very escapist person.

                > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
                Titanic, Ever After, Les Miserables (some versions). Lately, It's A
                Wonderful Life (my first theatrical costuming gig, which I'm working
                on right now for very small community theatre)

                > What is your favorite historic costume period?
                That mysterious transition between Regency and Crinoline. I also
                dabble in early 16th century France, 18th century rural American,
                French Revolution and Empire, and 1912-1915.

                > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
                Oh, I haven't been doing this long enough for any major disasters.
                That is, I have always expected fully to screw up. Sometimes, I
                surprise myself.

                > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                > etc.?
                Well, other than the usual scary faire conventions... I can't forget
                the girl in the white lacey ruffled Scarlett O'Hara hoop dress,
                compleat with sausage curls and matching parasol.

                > What is your favorite weird costume material?
                I saw one of those plastic sunvisors turned into a French hood by
                turning it around and sticking it on the top of her head. She had
                covered it with velvet and yummy trim and added a veil.. I just
                thought that was brilliant.

                > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                > in vain.
                It's more a budget issue than being unable to find something,
                usually. Right now, I'm trying to find several dresses for Violet in
                IAWL in the theatre's meager closet of cast-offs. The actress is a
                size three.. I have the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of
                alterations.

                > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
                Well, five or so attendants, each in a different time period would be
                neat. It would allow finding a flattering style for each girl, and
                the whole look could be pulled together by using similar color
                choices. What to do with the ushers, though..

                Well, that's it. Hopefully, I will be able to learn from you all, as
                I definately have a lot to learn.
              • Cecilia duPont
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
                  > Hmm...I'd do the same for the ushers, too, matching each one to the
                  time
                  > period of each bridesmaids' dress. �While doing that, you could
                  give each
                  > pair coordinating colors and arrange them so that they'd be in
                  chronological
                  > order when in the processional and stuff. �Doing that, there could
                  be one
                  > color that went with everything that was used with everyone for the
                  > through-line that ties it all together. �Sounds like a fun project.

                  It does... well, you know how hard it is to get a guy in a tux,
                  talking them into hosen or breeches or anything like that is that
                  much harder. You'd have to have a lot of very understanding guy
                  friends, lol. At least with my husband, I can use coercion. (We
                  eloped, so I never had to worry about dressing bridesmaids)

                  > Oh, and about IAWL...

                  Thank you for all your ideas.. I hope it doesn't come down to me
                  actually making something from scratch. I'm not very good yet.
                  Salvation Army will hopefully be my best bet. This character runs
                  such a gamut, from 30's nice girl to 40's prostitute.

                  Jeni.

                  Sent by Jahoopa Free Email!
                  Find us on the web at http://www.jahoopa.com
                  Join today!
                • Alexa304@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
                    I know where to buy all kinds of hemp fabric. Try Ohio Hempery they have an
                    800 number 1800 buy hemp
                  • Rachael Emborg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                      > Name? Rachael Emborg
                      > Location? Missoula Montana
                      > Mental Age? 31 or 3 depending on the day
                      > Do you have a web site? not at this time
                      > What is your main interest in costume? I do SCA, but have also
                      done theatre costuming in the past
                      > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Star Wars *grin* I love
                      Princess Leia's getups. I also liked Sean Connery's duds in the Wind
                      and the Lion :)

                      > What is your favorite historic costume period? Byzantine Empire

                      > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                      > etc.? A"middle eastern" that was sheer glittery chiffon pants
                      split from ankle to hip up the side with a lightweight lycra top and
                      *no Underwear of any kind*

                      Glad to be here - this looks like a place that combines all of my
                      strange interests.
                      -rachael
                    • randrean@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 11, 2001
                        > Name? Raun
                        >
                        > Location? WI
                        >
                        > Mental Age? 2-2000 really depends on the day
                        >
                        > Do you have a web site? Nope
                        >
                        > What is your main interest in costume? I am an actor who has spent
                        as many hours if not more in the shop than on the boards. It keeps me
                        busy when I have a million other things to do.

                        > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Movies with puppets like
                        Dark Crystal, Labrynth. They don't always dress real people but the
                        body shapes of the puppets are usually closer to real people than
                        movie star bodies

                        > What is your favorite historic costume period? Nothing specific.
                        Long skirts and corsettes

                        > Describe your favorite costume disaster. It's beyond description in
                        such a short space. My first full costume design this last fall. a
                        new adaptation of The Three musketeers By an experimental theatre.
                        SCARED THE S@^* out of me.

                        > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                        > etc.? I don't really have time for events.
                        >
                        > What is your favorite weird costume material? Colored Saran Wrap
                        >
                        > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                        in
                        > vain. Okay, well, I can never find closures. I always have some
                        but it seems like it's never the right one. (I know that is a
                        convoluted interp. of the ??)

                        > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In tuxedos. Put the men in
                        dresses. I don't know?
                      • Michaela de Bruce
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 13, 2001
                          OK, I never did this before yet have been a big fan of the site for
                          so long.. and been a member of the group for months;)

                          > > Name?

                          michaela de bruce, or online: Neimhaille, Azrael, Az, any variations
                          on the theme.

                          > > Location?

                          Auckland, New Zealand, but I'm a natural born rover, just spent three
                          years saving in as many weeks in london and northern Europe

                          > > Mental Age?

                          Umm.. varies. Sometime I feel like a little old lady wondering at
                          today's youth, then I feel like a disenfranchised youth myself.

                          > > Do you have a web site

                          Yes, several:
                          http://recital.tripod.com/costume my own work
                          http://recital.tripod.com/fashion images of 1870-1886
                          http://phoenix.song.tripod.com personal site, only go there if
                          extremely bored, some rants ans such.
                          http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/stage/4881/ I think, my old
                          research on Trilby. Site is around 4 years old and neglected just as
                          long.

                          >> What is your main interest in costume?

                          hmm... well I can say how it started, but I don't really know what
                          else to say. It began when I fell in love with Phatom of the Opera by
                          Andrew Lloyd Webber, and finally got the book of the musical at age
                          13. Suddenly I wanted to know everything about the 1880s. The
                          fashions, the PRB (Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood), french history.. etc.
                          Then I wanted to know how the costumes were made. So I studied as
                          many scaled patterns of actual garments I could. Made up some in that
                          scale, some dolls then finally decided to costume myself for a
                          singing competition.
                          I knew I couldn't get what I wanted. Too many stores go for tacky
                          glitz in polyester lining and lace. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good.
                          So I tried again and again to get what I wanted. Still not a master
                          of the craft, but I vertainly love it.

                          > > What are your favorite Costume Movies?

                          Dracula, Titanic (script stank, costumes were dreamy), Age of
                          Innocence, Dangerous Liasons, Fifth Element, Portrait of a Lady, Anna
                          Karenina (the one with Sean Bein), Sleepy Hollow, My fair Lady and
                          just saw one 2 nights ago. Clark and something. About two highwaymen
                          in the 18th C, but it had modern music and the costumes were twisted
                          and modernised. Worked well to make a nightmare world (1999).
                          For theatre, well Phantom clearly, My Fair Lady (that Ascot dres is
                          nearly religiosly copied), Notre Dame de Paris, people couldn't cope
                          with the mix of modern and anceint, personally I thought it worked.
                          Everyone looked like they belonged in an old time asylum (title of
                          one of the songs).

                          > > What is your favorite historic costume period?

                          All time, around 1875-1890. So artificial and if not creative then at
                          least trying something new: the sewing machine and chemical dyes.
                          Tudor and Elizabethan next, Georgian through to Regency, 1830s-40s...

                          > > Describe your favorite costume disaster.

                          ahh... for me, I wrote to Rob Guest to tell him I would attend the
                          final show of Phantom in NZ in a victorian gown. Well my sewing was
                          finished but the bloody thing didn't fit, and with 3 minutes before I
                          had to leave I just didn't have the time to fix the problem. So there
                          I was giving a standing ovation, and the TV cameras were right next
                          to me. I missed out on the chance of a lifetime to get my costuming
                          exposed for free!
                          Then again having a tied on skirt start to fall during a choral dance
                          routine was fun. I did hold on to the front, but it was a nervous
                          experience.

                          > > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                          > > etc.?

                          I've never been to one:(

                          > > What is your favorite weird costume material?

                          Plastic used to hold copy for magaine production. It's thick clear
                          plastic that goes silver when layered in large amounts. It's got some
                          percentage of silver nitrate in it I believe. I made feathers out of
                          it for my phoenix costume and use it to store all my patterns on.

                          > > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                          > in
                          > > vain.

                          Blue floral striped fabric. For the blue dress at my site. The stuff
                          I did manage to dye, has now faded so I have a pale blue fabric. I
                          have some stuff which will do now, but it needs a bit of hand
                          printing to make it a better match. And of course, velvet is out of
                          season just now (summer here).

                          > >How you would dress a bridesmaid?

                          hmmmmm... well I wouldn't put them in the exact same dress, unless
                          they were fraternal twins triplets etc. and they wanted that. Nor the
                          exact same shade of fabric. I'd work with what suited them and just
                          get them to look like they are wearing outfits that are from the same
                          collection. In them e with the bride and wedding, but not like
                          they've been stamped from the same mold.

                          Cheers,
                          michaela de bruce, only now catching up on nearly two months of email.
                        • fireleolovepower
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                            Name? Ravenhawk

                            Location? Lone Rock, Iowa, USA

                            Mental Age? Well hard to say sometimes 20 most of the time 35

                            Do you have a web site? No but I have a yahoo group
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CospIowa/

                            What is your main interest in costume? Anime Conventions and Anime
                            Cosplay

                            What are your favorite Costume Movies? Moulin Rouge

                            What is your favorite historic costume period? Well anything from
                            Japan, Also Medevil Times

                            Describe your favorite costume disaster. No One knew who I was.

                            What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                            etc.? Well I was at Anime Detour 2004 and a female was cosplaying
                            the male character Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

                            What is your favorite weird costume material? Haven't had an
                            opertunity to make any costume out of weird material

                            Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
                            vain. A fabric for A sweater duster , blue ribbed sweater material.
                            I'm really bad with picking material. I think one would be good but
                            when I get it doesn't work right.

                            How you would dress a bridesmaid? corset full skirt lots of layers
                            thin sheer fluffy look.