How do you make a Costume Bible?

  • Kacie Hultgren
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 3:41 PM
      Hi-

      I've spent the last hour searching the internet.  I'm trying to find an example of a costume bible, but to no avail.  After reading pages on the internet referring to costume bibles all over the place, I'm curious.  What's in a costume bible?  How is it organized?

      This summer the community theatre I volunteer for is doing Guys and Dolls.  I've probably costumed about 10 shows in the last few years, but this one will be my last before I head off to college (I'm 18 currently and will graduate from high school in a few months).  I'll have three "production assitants" that I'm supposed to show the ropes to before I leave (a high school junior, a freshman, and a 10 yr old - all three have helped in the past year with costumes)  And I'm hoping to up my organization and design skills a notch, and show them a great way to do it all.

      My imagination tells me it should include everything from sketches and renderings, to fabric swatches and budgets, production calendars, etc.  Is my imagination on track?  How do you organize it all? If anyone out there has some insight, I'd appreciate your input!

      ~Kacie
    • Sylvia
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 3:55 PM
        Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] How do you make a Costume Bible? on 4/1/01 4:41 PM, Kacie Hultgren at kacie@... wrote:
        Bingo.  That's a costume bible.  I just make sections with dividers for each subject as you've outlined it-calendars, sketches, cast list, phone #s & addresses, measurement sheets, notes, budgets, receipts, etc.  Everything I use while I am designing and building a show goes into it.

        Sylvia Rognstad
        --
        Divinity Designs and Emeralds
        http://www.d-e-designs.com

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • N B
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 7:11 PM
          --- Kacie Hultgren <kacie@...> wrote:
          > Hi-
          >
          > I've spent the last hour searching the internet. I'm
          > trying to find an example of a costume bible, but to no
          > avail. After reading pages on the internet referring to
          > costume bibles all over the place, I'm curious. What's
          > in a costume bible? How is it organized?

          It depends on what you are looking for, an online bible, a
          book, and what Period...for us Elizabethan freeks,Lady
          Drea's Elizabethan Costuming Page would pretty much be a
          costuming bible. In the same Period Janet Arnold books are
          considdered another "Costume Bible" . There are also other
          Mega link referred to Costume Bibles. Basically a Costume
          Bible is a Large collection of Information/Resources that
          suit the time period and costruction level you want. Asking
          20 costumers and you are likely to get 20 answers on what
          they consider to be their costumers bible

          Catalina