Request for scraps

  • Juliann
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2002
      This is pretty oddball, but I thought I would give it a shot.

      Is there anyone who regularly works with 100% linen who might be
      willing to send me their scraps? (I really do mean /scraps/) If in the
      UK I can even write you a cheque to recoup your postage costs.

      I am learning to make handmade paper, and wanting to do it as
      historically accurate for the 16th and 17th centuries as I can manage.
      They didn't tend to recycle paper (how many people make "handmade"
      paper now) nor did they tend to experiment with various plants in the
      garden for fibres (again another thing done with art paper now).
      Instead the rag and bone pickers would buy up old rags, these were
      usually of linen, and utterly worn out beyon repair/reuse. That linen
      would then be cut up and boiled down and made into paper. The fine
      linen paper that they sell for outrageous amounts in stationers today
      is really what most paper would have been like back then.

      Problem is, I can't bring myself to buy large bits of perfectly good
      cloth and then cut them up and turn them into paper. What a waste of
      linen! So I am asking if anyone has scraps, even just threads will do
      since essentially I break it down to the thread level and then boil it
      to break down the fibers even more.

      If anyone has some scraps they could donate, please contact me --
      off-list is preferred but I do read the digest anyway :)

      Thanks in advance,
      Juliann