Re: Hello!

  • Christina_Lemke@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 19, 2001
      Hi Janet,
      amazon.co.uk also offers the book (for 31.85 GBP), and they should
      charge less for shipping than amazon.com. I also saw it on the
      website of R.D. Franks (the London fashion bookshop),
      http://www.rdfranks.co.uk They usually have copies of the book in
      their shop, too, so if you should go to London in the near future,
      you might go there. And yes, it's a very good book, but it is pricey.
      Maybe you can also get it from a library (via interlibrary loan, if
      they haven't got it), if you can't afford to buy it or are not sure
      whether you really want it.
      Best regards,

      Christina

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "JANET HULL" <jan1t@h...> wrote:

      > >From: Sylvia <sylvia@n...>
      > >To: <TheCostumersManifesto@y...>, <jan1t@h...>
      > >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Hello!
      > >Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:42:30 -0700
      > >

      > > > Hello anyone out there who knows about tailoring I am looking
      for a good
      > > > book on tailoring mens wear. I would prefer if it were
      available in the
      > >U.K.
      > > > I am a fashion student from York and my final collection is
      mostly
      > >menswear
      > > > and i am more than a little unsure on some of the techniques of
      > >tailoring
      > > > proffesionaly.Can anyone help me.cheers
      > > > Janet
      > >
      > >The one we used at Cal Arts is called Classic Tailoring
      Techniques: A
      > >Construction Guide for Men's Wear, by Roberto Cabrera and Patricia
      Flaherty
      > >Meyers. It is by Fairchild Publications in NY.
      > >
      > >Sylvia Rognstad
      > >--
      > >Divinity Designs and Emeralds
      > >http://www.d-e-designs.com
      > >
      > Yes i saw this book on the net but its not easily available in the
      U.K but
      > if it is a very good book and recomended i will happlily pay
      theshipping
      > cost and the $48 dollars is that a good price or expencive. let me
      know
      > cheers
      > janet

    • aquagurl729
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 6, 2003
        Hi! I'm fairly new here, and I'm an aspiring costume designer. It's
        currently the season of college applications and SATs for me, but I
        was wondering if any of you have recommendations on good colleges
        for costume design. It seems like Yale, NYU, and CalArts have the
        best programs, and I'm also looking at Northwestern, but outside of
        that, everything sort of looks the same... Any ideas? I'd totally
        love to hear some of your input... You can either reply here or
        email me at shoesmakemesmile@...

        Thanks so much and be well!

        Cheers,
        Julia
      • lanorte1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 9, 2003
          In a message dated 11/9/2003 11:58:12 PM Central Standard Time,
          shoesmakemesmile@... writes:

          > Hi! I'm fairly new here, and I'm an aspiring costume designer. It's
          > currently the season of college applications and SATs for me, but I
          > was wondering if any of you have recommendations on good colleges
          > for costume design. It seems like Yale, NYU, and CalArts have the
          > best programs, and I'm also looking at Northwestern, but outside of
          > that, everything sort of looks the same... Any ideas? I'd totally
          > love to hear some of your input... You can either reply here or
          > email me at shoesmakemesmile@...

          Julia:

          I attended grad school at Northwestern, and studied costume design with
          Virgil Johnson (I was not a costume design major, but have worked as a designer for
          many years, when not directing). I can't comment on any other program, but I
          thought Virgil was an excellent instructor, a good balance of demanding and
          encouraging, and he also looked for opportunities for his students to get
          experience (and resume credits) in professional productions in Chicago outside the
          university. Several years after graduating, a costume designer interviewed
          with me for a show I was directing. I was incredibly impressed with her resume
          and portfolio, and - sure enough - she had also been one of Virgil's students.
          Northwestern gets one vote from me.

          Donna

        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 10, 2003
            > Just curious. What makes you choose Yale, NYU and Cal Arts? I myself
            went to Cal Arts but I've heard it's gone in a completely different
            direction since I got my MFA there and that it no longer includes the
            technical areas of costuming in its curriculum. For that reason, I
            would not choose Cal Arts, or any other school that does not teach
            costume construction as well as design.

            Sylrog

            > In a message dated 11/9/2003 11:58:12 PM Central Standard Time,
            > shoesmakemesmile@... writes:
            >
            > > Hi! I'm fairly new here, and I'm an aspiring costume designer. It's
            > > currently the season of college applications and SATs for me, but
            > I > was wondering if any of you have recommendations on good
            > colleges > for costume design. It seems like Yale, NYU, and CalArts
            > have the > best programs, and I'm also looking at Northwestern, but
            > outside of > that, everything sort of looks the same... Any ideas?
            > I'd totally > love to hear some of your input... You can either
            > reply here or > email me at shoesmakemesmile@...
            >
            > Julia:
            >
            > I attended grad school at Northwestern, and studied costume design with
            > Virgil Johnson (I was not a costume design major, but have worked as a
            > designer for many years, when not directing).  I can't comment on
            > any other program, but I thought Virgil was an excellent instructor, a
            > good balance of demanding and encouraging, and he also looked for
            > opportunities for his students to get experience (and resume credits)
            > in professional productions in Chicago outside the university.
            > Several years after graduating, a costume designer interviewed with me
            > for a show I was directing.  I was incredibly impressed with her
            > resume and portfolio, and - sure enough - she had also been one of
            > Virgil's students.
            > Northwestern gets one vote from me.
            >
            > Donna

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • aquagurl729
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 10, 2003
              first, thanks to both of you for your input! much appreciated.

              next, i'm only going off of what i've heard from
              people/teachers/books/etc... i'll look into the cal arts bit though.
              if you don't mind my asking, where else did you apply besides cal
              arts?

              again, thanks for your help!

              take care,
              julia

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad

              Service.
            • Sylvia Rognstad
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 12, 2003
                > I only applied to Cal Arts.

                Do people recommend Yale and NYU because of the connections you can make
                by going there? I don't doubt that such connections will do you good. I
                worked for awhile for a theatre in California that hired a lot of Yale
                designers. Just because they were Yalies. In my NSHO I've come across
                much better designers who didn't go to Yale. The Yales couldn't draw
                their way out of a paper bag and they knew nothing about construction,
                which only made the job of the costume shop all that more difficult.

                Sylvia

                > first, thanks to both of you for your input! much appreciated.
                >
                > next, i'm only going off of what i've heard from
                > people/teachers/books/etc... i'll look into the cal arts bit though. if
                > you don't mind my asking, where else did you apply besides cal arts?
                >
                > again, thanks for your help!
                >
                > take care,
                > julia
                >

                > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
                > <sylvia@n...> wrote:
                > > > Just curious.  What makes you choose Yale, NYU and Cal
                > Arts?  I myself
                > > went to Cal Arts but I've heard it's gone in a completely different
                > > direction since I got my MFA there and that it no longer includes
                > the
                > > technical areas of costuming in its curriculum.  For that
                > reason, I > would not choose Cal Arts, or any other school that does
                > not teach > costume construction as well as design.
                > >
                > > Sylrog
                > > >

                > > > In a message dated 11/9/2003 11:58:12 PM Central Standard
                > Time, > > shoesmakemesmile@h... writes:
                > > >
                > > > &gt; Hi! I'm fairly new here, and I'm an aspiring costume
                > designer. It's
                > > >  &gt; currently the season of college applications
                > and SATs for me, but
                > > > I  &gt; was wondering if any of you have
                > recommendations on good > > colleges  &gt; for costume
                > design. It seems like Yale, NYU, and CalArts
                > > > have the  &gt; best programs, and I'm also looking at
                > Northwestern, but
                > > > outside of  &gt; that, everything sort of looks the
                > same... Any ideas?
                > > > I'd totally  &gt; love to hear some of your input...
                > You can either
                > > > reply here or  &gt; email me at shoesmakemesmile@h...
                > > >
                > > > Julia:
                > > >
                > > > I attended grad school at Northwestern, and studied costume
                > design with
                > > > Virgil Johnson (I was not a costume design major, but have
                > worked as a
                > > > designer for  many years, when not directing).&nbsp;
                > I can't comment on
                > > > any other program, but I  thought Virgil was an excellent
                > instructor, a
                > > > good balance of demanding and  encouraging, and he also
                > looked for
                > > > opportunities for his students to get  experience (and
                > resume credits)
                > > > in professional productions in Chicago outside the
                > university.&nbsp;
                > > > Several years after graduating, a costume designer
                > interviewed  with me
                > > > for a show I was directing.&nbsp; I was incredibly
                > impressed with her
                > > > resume  and portfolio, and - sure enough - she had also
                > been one of
                > > > Virgil's students.
                > > >  Northwestern gets one vote from me.
                > > >
                > > > Donna

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Service.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • K Murphy
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 13, 2003
                  When I finished college in '81 there was a joke about Northwestern's design graduates, that they could design anything but build nothing -- which may be okay once you're established as a designer but it's hell if you're just starting out. It's a philosophical approach that some schools take, not to teach construction because they think it limits students' creativity in designing. I remember one Northwestern design grad who stuffed 35 yards of China Silk into a washing machine because she wanted "washed silk!" I don't mean to pick on Northwestern! My husband went there, and he's brilliant. I'm just making a point about programs and what they focus on.

                  BTW, I attended Indiana University at Bloomington, Indiana, and studied with Leon Brauner and Wes Peters, both of whom I considered wonderful design teachers. I'm not sure who's there now, so I won't offer advice about that, but they made sure we learned costume design and construction and scenic design and construction as well as how to render our designs creatively and produce construction drawings. I wouldn't recommend a program that didn't have all of these types of classes: Design, construction, rendering (artistic interpretation of design) and technical (construction) skills. I would also recommend studying lighting if you are interested in costume design. The effect of light on costumes cannot be overstated.

                  Kate

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • aquagurl729
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 16, 2003
                    Thanks for the info, Kate! I definitely agree that costruction is
                    just as vital as design, so I'll look into that... And thanks for
                    mentioning Indiana. I'm not familiar with it, so I'll look into it
                    too.

                    And, to Sylvia, I think it's all about having the name of a "good"
                    school behind you... Thus, as you mentioned, that theater in
                    California hired a lot of designers 'just because they were
                    Yalies'...

                    Anyway, another question... I'm wondering (of anyone who wants to
                    answer) if, when you were studying costume, were you required to
                    take acting classes as well? I'm wondering, because it seems like
                    there are some schools that treat all theater majors as actors and
                    then if you're more of a technical design kind of person, you can
                    substitute some costume or lighting or what have you classes in for
                    some of the more advanced acting classes, but everyone has a
                    foundation in acting... I can understand that a school might want
                    students to understand the other roles in theater, but I don't want
                    to end up somewhere where the focus will not be on my area of choice
                    (costuming)... So I guess I'm wondering what kind of classes,
                    specifically acting, you all were required to take?

                    That's all for now. I appreciate your opinions very much!
                    Keep being brilliant,
                    Julia
                  • K Murphy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 17, 2003
                      Julia,

                      I think it's vital for a costume designer to be able to get into the head of an actor, because you are, after all, providing that person with their main set of physical tools for a particular role. That is why most theater programs require at least an introductory acting course. Even though theater is a collaborative art, the actors are the one vital element without which live theater does not exist, so it makes sense to have actor-centered programs. But, because theater IS a collaborative art, in order for your work to have depth, you need also to understand dramatic literature and the process of dramatic interpretation, the role of the director, the interdependence of design elements, the historical and social aspects of the work, etc. I took all the acting, directing, design, and rendering classes I could stuff into my schedule, though I was only required to take introductory courses in each of the main disciplines.

                      I would also encourage you to see as much and as many kinds of live theater as possible, everything from opera to performance art, puppet theater, international companies, ethnic dance companies, children's theater, etc. Lots of theaters have programs that allow you to see a series of performances for free if you usher, or they have reduced price tickets for students.