Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Introduce Yourself!

  • Sarah P
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2000
      Yah!! I look in my mailbox and it is full to the brim and overflowing!!
      Guess I didn't expect that.... Here's my answers, I'll be brief, 'cause
      I've gotta run to class in a bit. (Math should be an elective for
      non-science majors, I think.)
      ****Raven ^_^

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • rermisch
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2000
          > Name?
          Coopie

          > Location?
          Norman, OK

          > Mental Age?
          I am what I am! 63

          > Do you have a web site?
          Not yet, maybe never.

          > What is your main interest in costume?
          I am shop co-ordinator at the university here.

          > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
          I will watch ANYTHING,and it's hard to pick a favorite. I'm pretty much a
          creature of enthusiams. Which is why theatre is a good place for me. Build a
          world today, tear it down tomorrow! Build a new one on Wednesday!

          > What is your favorite historic costume period?
          Whichever I'm working in NOW. I really don't like "weird". I hate to build
          "trees" , etc.

          > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
          Believe me there are too many to cover in one setting.

          > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
          > etc.?
          I don't like to be judgementat with folk who are doing their best without
          the background. But I really hate "wrong".

          > What is your favorite weird costume material?

          > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
          > vain.
          >
          > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
          At this moment, NOT cranberry red slik velvet.

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000

            > Name? Jessie
            >
            > Location? PA
            >
            > Mental Age? depends. I was born an adult, but sometimes
            I regress...

            > Do you have a web site? yeah, but it's cheesy and stupid
            and I am hoping no one will ever visit it so it will
            eventually disappear. I plan to put up a new one for my
            costuming business soon though: stay tuned!

            > What is your main interest in costume?
            Medieval/Renaissance/Fantasy I love making unique and
            detailed things - no two of my costumes are ever exactly
            alike.

            > What are your favorite Costume Movies? 'Midsummer Night's
            Dream', 'Gone With the Wind' (always wanted to make
            Scarlett's BBQ dress), 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves',
            'Legend', 'Titanic' (and ONLY for the costumes), and a
            million others...

            > What is your favorite historic costume period? lol, just
            about everything between 1200 and 1920.

            > Describe your favorite costume disaster. gosh, there were
            so many I don't know how I live with them...probably the
            taffeta medieval gown I made two years ago with the sleeves
            that just wouldn't fit in the armholes and in turn just
            won't fit the arms and shoulders in them. I am still
            struggling with that to this day

            > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire,
            > SCA event,
            > etc.? I can think of anything too horrendous. I guess
            the worst was a Tudor/Elizibethan gown at a Medieval faire.
            And the gown was done in pink and pastel purple ::sigh::
            so completely wrong...

            > What is your favorite weird costume material? cellophane
            baby! and weird stuff out of the floral departments - you
            can have lots of fun with spanish moss and garlands of
            leaves (someone looked at my first fairy costume and
            remarked that I looked like I had gotten into a fight with
            a tree and lost) I do much of my material shopping at yard
            sales, trift shops, salvation army...

            > Describe a costume object or material for which you have
            > searched in
            > vain. 5+ yards (all one piece) of good, heavy,
            old-fashioned brocade. The closest I've come were some old
            red and black brocade curtains. And even then, I can
            usually come up with something close.

            > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In something she could
            actually wear sometime and some place other than the
            wedding.

            Short bio: I am 18 and have been sewing for about a year
            and a half, and while I am not a prodigy, I do seem to have
            some good amount of talent. I am in the process of
            starting a costuming business that specializes in
            medieval/fantasy and unique bridal/prom/evening gowns. My
            goal is to be able to customize to almost any budget (we
            all know the price difference between a gown in velvet and
            a gown in calico, but they can be equally beautiful)
            Anyhow, I work from my dining room, am contemplating
            going to college for costume/fashion design, am engaged
            (I'll be the first to admit I am too young), manage a Pizza
            Hut where I am known as the Sacraficial Virgin, and
            basically live the crazy, hectic teenage life :-)

            All the best,
            Jessie

            =====
            - - - - - - - - - -

            http://im.yahoo.com/
          • linda craft
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
              wrote:
              > > Name?Linda
              >
              > Location?Holland, MI
              >
              > Mental Age? 2 1/2 on a good day...3>
              > Do you have a web site?yes, but it isn't finished
              yet. it may never get finished

              > What is your main interest in costume?I do high
              school plays, so most of the things I do are pretty
              classic high school We are doing Fiddler on the roof
              right now. I'm having fun coming up with ideas for
              Fruma Sarah (who happens to be my daughter)>
              > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Ever After,
              Hello Dolly,(love those hats)

              > What is your favorite historic costume period?I have
              to pick just one??? I love anything in the 1100-1300
              , also 1860 through the 1930's I love 30's clothes.

              > Describe your favorite costume disaster. There was
              an actor once who bled on her costume,just before a 3
              day rest and didn't tell anyone, later when I went to
              iron it I found the mess. needless to say it never
              came out. Fortunately it was a red suit so it didn't
              show up past the first couple rows.

              > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a
              > RenFaire, SCA event,
              > etc.?
              >
              > What is your favorite weird costume material? The
              shinny silver insulation fabric used for pot holders
              etc. It makes a wonderful Tin Man that sparkles in the
              lights. Also I live in an area where they make office
              furniture. Several of the companies sell their excess
              fabric,at $1.00 or give it away to the schools. I get
              wonderful $20 - $30 a yard fabric for peanuts. I made
              wonderful costumes for Once Upon a Mattress and
              Cinderella last year. If you live anywhere near a
              place like that call them and see if you can get great
              stuff too.
              > Describe a costume object or material for which you
              > have searched in
              > vain. I've only been doing this for 8 years, I've
              always managed to get lucky sometimes two days before
              opening

              > How you would dress a bridesmaid? Like real people,
              not frilly,fluffy ,full sized dolls. In real clothes
              they could really use again, or at least use on stage
              or sell.

              http://im.yahoo.com/
            • Maxim Paprosa
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2000
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com, "TheCostumer Tara Maginnis"
                <Tara@c...> wrote:
                > Greetings, this is Tara your fearless moderator. I was thinking it
                > might be nice if all you folks posted introductions to the group so
                > you could find out more about who everyone is. So for a start here
                > are some questions you all may want to answer. Feel free to add
                more.

                > Name?
                Maxim Paprosa, THR 254 dropout

                > Location?
                at home in the arctic

                > Mental Age?
                I have to show i.d. to purchase alcohol

                > Do you have a web site?
                yea, but it contains 0% of your RDI of costumes

                > What is your main interest in costume?
                I enjoy making my own clothes, and I'm also interested in the socio-
                economic-enviornmental aspects of clothing.>

                > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
                I've given this a bit of thought. It's a tie between Andrei
                Tarkovsky's 'Andrei Rublev' (for historical accuracy; too bad the
                film was shot in b&w) and John Water's movies, especially Pink
                Flamingos (innovative and filmed in color) and Female Trouble. What I
                really appreciate about John Water's early films is the low-budget
                aspect, being innovative with a $200 art budget for Pink Flamingos.

                > What is your favorite historic costume period?
                pre-contact american textiles such as chilkat weaving & Incan textiles
                I also like punk rock, and 1960s-1970s alaskan parkas

                > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
                $200 budget for metallic spray paint, to be applied to ~50 masks and
                gowns by ~ a team of 5 unsupervised teenage inhalent-abusers. End
                result prematurely running out of paint and learning how stupid kids
                can be.

                > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                > etc.?
                I watched the film 'trekkies' and I was mostly disturbed by it all,
                especially the trekkie-costumed lap dog. I would have to say I am
                disturbed by any such dog-costume

                > What is your favorite weird costume material?
                snack food wrappers! Genius, Tara! Anything recycled/reused

                > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                in vain.
                Hemp fleece! Hemp/silk brocade! Who knows where to find this?

                > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
                I think most importantly a bridesmade's outfit should allow her to
                move about easily to do last minute wedding stuff. I would avoid
                panniers, stays, petticoats, super-long sleeves or skirts.
              • cecilia@jahoopa.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
                  Hello, all. Just joined the list today, skimmed through all the
                  posts just to get an idea of the atmosphere. And I thought I'd fill
                  out the survey!

                  > Name?
                  Jeni

                  > Location?
                  Scranton, PA

                  > Mental Age?
                  Varies from 16 to 40, I think.

                  > Do you have a web site?
                  Yes, but I have about 1% costume stuff on there, and it's in the
                  process of moving to a popup-free server.

                  > What is your main interest in costume?
                  Becoming someone else. I'm a very escapist person.

                  > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
                  Titanic, Ever After, Les Miserables (some versions). Lately, It's A
                  Wonderful Life (my first theatrical costuming gig, which I'm working
                  on right now for very small community theatre)

                  > What is your favorite historic costume period?
                  That mysterious transition between Regency and Crinoline. I also
                  dabble in early 16th century France, 18th century rural American,
                  French Revolution and Empire, and 1912-1915.

                  > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
                  Oh, I haven't been doing this long enough for any major disasters.
                  That is, I have always expected fully to screw up. Sometimes, I
                  surprise myself.

                  > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                  > etc.?
                  Well, other than the usual scary faire conventions... I can't forget
                  the girl in the white lacey ruffled Scarlett O'Hara hoop dress,
                  compleat with sausage curls and matching parasol.

                  > What is your favorite weird costume material?
                  I saw one of those plastic sunvisors turned into a French hood by
                  turning it around and sticking it on the top of her head. She had
                  covered it with velvet and yummy trim and added a veil.. I just
                  thought that was brilliant.

                  > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                  > in vain.
                  It's more a budget issue than being unable to find something,
                  usually. Right now, I'm trying to find several dresses for Violet in
                  IAWL in the theatre's meager closet of cast-offs. The actress is a
                  size three.. I have the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of
                  alterations.

                  > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
                  Well, five or so attendants, each in a different time period would be
                  neat. It would allow finding a flattering style for each girl, and
                  the whole look could be pulled together by using similar color
                  choices. What to do with the ushers, though..

                  Well, that's it. Hopefully, I will be able to learn from you all, as
                  I definately have a lot to learn.
                • Cecilia duPont
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
                    > Hmm...I'd do the same for the ushers, too, matching each one to the
                    time
                    > period of each bridesmaids' dress. �While doing that, you could
                    give each
                    > pair coordinating colors and arrange them so that they'd be in
                    chronological
                    > order when in the processional and stuff. �Doing that, there could
                    be one
                    > color that went with everything that was used with everyone for the
                    > through-line that ties it all together. �Sounds like a fun project.

                    It does... well, you know how hard it is to get a guy in a tux,
                    talking them into hosen or breeches or anything like that is that
                    much harder. You'd have to have a lot of very understanding guy
                    friends, lol. At least with my husband, I can use coercion. (We
                    eloped, so I never had to worry about dressing bridesmaids)

                    > Oh, and about IAWL...

                    Thank you for all your ideas.. I hope it doesn't come down to me
                    actually making something from scratch. I'm not very good yet.
                    Salvation Army will hopefully be my best bet. This character runs
                    such a gamut, from 30's nice girl to 40's prostitute.

                    Jeni.

                    Sent by Jahoopa Free Email!
                    Find us on the web at http://www.jahoopa.com
                    Join today!
                  • Alexa304@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
                      I know where to buy all kinds of hemp fabric. Try Ohio Hempery they have an
                      800 number 1800 buy hemp
                    • Rachael Emborg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                        > Name? Rachael Emborg
                        > Location? Missoula Montana
                        > Mental Age? 31 or 3 depending on the day
                        > Do you have a web site? not at this time
                        > What is your main interest in costume? I do SCA, but have also
                        done theatre costuming in the past
                        > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Star Wars *grin* I love
                        Princess Leia's getups. I also liked Sean Connery's duds in the Wind
                        and the Lion :)

                        > What is your favorite historic costume period? Byzantine Empire

                        > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                        > etc.? A"middle eastern" that was sheer glittery chiffon pants
                        split from ankle to hip up the side with a lightweight lycra top and
                        *no Underwear of any kind*

                        Glad to be here - this looks like a place that combines all of my
                        strange interests.
                        -rachael
                      • randrean@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 11, 2001
                          > Name? Raun
                          >
                          > Location? WI
                          >
                          > Mental Age? 2-2000 really depends on the day
                          >
                          > Do you have a web site? Nope
                          >
                          > What is your main interest in costume? I am an actor who has spent
                          as many hours if not more in the shop than on the boards. It keeps me
                          busy when I have a million other things to do.

                          > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Movies with puppets like
                          Dark Crystal, Labrynth. They don't always dress real people but the
                          body shapes of the puppets are usually closer to real people than
                          movie star bodies

                          > What is your favorite historic costume period? Nothing specific.
                          Long skirts and corsettes

                          > Describe your favorite costume disaster. It's beyond description in
                          such a short space. My first full costume design this last fall. a
                          new adaptation of The Three musketeers By an experimental theatre.
                          SCARED THE S@^* out of me.

                          > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                          > etc.? I don't really have time for events.
                          >
                          > What is your favorite weird costume material? Colored Saran Wrap
                          >
                          > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                          in
                          > vain. Okay, well, I can never find closures. I always have some
                          but it seems like it's never the right one. (I know that is a
                          convoluted interp. of the ??)

                          > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In tuxedos. Put the men in
                          dresses. I don't know?
                        • Michaela de Bruce
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 13, 2001
                            OK, I never did this before yet have been a big fan of the site for
                            so long.. and been a member of the group for months;)

                            > > Name?

                            michaela de bruce, or online: Neimhaille, Azrael, Az, any variations
                            on the theme.

                            > > Location?

                            Auckland, New Zealand, but I'm a natural born rover, just spent three
                            years saving in as many weeks in london and northern Europe

                            > > Mental Age?

                            Umm.. varies. Sometime I feel like a little old lady wondering at
                            today's youth, then I feel like a disenfranchised youth myself.

                            > > Do you have a web site

                            Yes, several:
                            http://recital.tripod.com/costume my own work
                            http://recital.tripod.com/fashion images of 1870-1886
                            http://phoenix.song.tripod.com personal site, only go there if
                            extremely bored, some rants ans such.
                            http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/stage/4881/ I think, my old
                            research on Trilby. Site is around 4 years old and neglected just as
                            long.

                            >> What is your main interest in costume?

                            hmm... well I can say how it started, but I don't really know what
                            else to say. It began when I fell in love with Phatom of the Opera by
                            Andrew Lloyd Webber, and finally got the book of the musical at age
                            13. Suddenly I wanted to know everything about the 1880s. The
                            fashions, the PRB (Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood), french history.. etc.
                            Then I wanted to know how the costumes were made. So I studied as
                            many scaled patterns of actual garments I could. Made up some in that
                            scale, some dolls then finally decided to costume myself for a
                            singing competition.
                            I knew I couldn't get what I wanted. Too many stores go for tacky
                            glitz in polyester lining and lace. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good.
                            So I tried again and again to get what I wanted. Still not a master
                            of the craft, but I vertainly love it.

                            > > What are your favorite Costume Movies?

                            Dracula, Titanic (script stank, costumes were dreamy), Age of
                            Innocence, Dangerous Liasons, Fifth Element, Portrait of a Lady, Anna
                            Karenina (the one with Sean Bein), Sleepy Hollow, My fair Lady and
                            just saw one 2 nights ago. Clark and something. About two highwaymen
                            in the 18th C, but it had modern music and the costumes were twisted
                            and modernised. Worked well to make a nightmare world (1999).
                            For theatre, well Phantom clearly, My Fair Lady (that Ascot dres is
                            nearly religiosly copied), Notre Dame de Paris, people couldn't cope
                            with the mix of modern and anceint, personally I thought it worked.
                            Everyone looked like they belonged in an old time asylum (title of
                            one of the songs).

                            > > What is your favorite historic costume period?

                            All time, around 1875-1890. So artificial and if not creative then at
                            least trying something new: the sewing machine and chemical dyes.
                            Tudor and Elizabethan next, Georgian through to Regency, 1830s-40s...

                            > > Describe your favorite costume disaster.

                            ahh... for me, I wrote to Rob Guest to tell him I would attend the
                            final show of Phantom in NZ in a victorian gown. Well my sewing was
                            finished but the bloody thing didn't fit, and with 3 minutes before I
                            had to leave I just didn't have the time to fix the problem. So there
                            I was giving a standing ovation, and the TV cameras were right next
                            to me. I missed out on the chance of a lifetime to get my costuming
                            exposed for free!
                            Then again having a tied on skirt start to fall during a choral dance
                            routine was fun. I did hold on to the front, but it was a nervous
                            experience.

                            > > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                            > > etc.?

                            I've never been to one:(

                            > > What is your favorite weird costume material?

                            Plastic used to hold copy for magaine production. It's thick clear
                            plastic that goes silver when layered in large amounts. It's got some
                            percentage of silver nitrate in it I believe. I made feathers out of
                            it for my phoenix costume and use it to store all my patterns on.

                            > > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                            > in
                            > > vain.

                            Blue floral striped fabric. For the blue dress at my site. The stuff
                            I did manage to dye, has now faded so I have a pale blue fabric. I
                            have some stuff which will do now, but it needs a bit of hand
                            printing to make it a better match. And of course, velvet is out of
                            season just now (summer here).

                            > >How you would dress a bridesmaid?

                            hmmmmm... well I wouldn't put them in the exact same dress, unless
                            they were fraternal twins triplets etc. and they wanted that. Nor the
                            exact same shade of fabric. I'd work with what suited them and just
                            get them to look like they are wearing outfits that are from the same
                            collection. In them e with the bride and wedding, but not like
                            they've been stamped from the same mold.

                            Cheers,
                            michaela de bruce, only now catching up on nearly two months of email.
                          • fireleolovepower
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                              Name? Ravenhawk

                              Location? Lone Rock, Iowa, USA

                              Mental Age? Well hard to say sometimes 20 most of the time 35

                              Do you have a web site? No but I have a yahoo group
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CospIowa/

                              What is your main interest in costume? Anime Conventions and Anime
                              Cosplay

                              What are your favorite Costume Movies? Moulin Rouge

                              What is your favorite historic costume period? Well anything from
                              Japan, Also Medevil Times

                              Describe your favorite costume disaster. No One knew who I was.

                              What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                              etc.? Well I was at Anime Detour 2004 and a female was cosplaying
                              the male character Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

                              What is your favorite weird costume material? Haven't had an
                              opertunity to make any costume out of weird material

                              Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
                              vain. A fabric for A sweater duster , blue ribbed sweater material.
                              I'm really bad with picking material. I think one would be good but
                              when I get it doesn't work right.

                              How you would dress a bridesmaid? corset full skirt lots of layers
                              thin sheer fluffy look.